MuskokaTom

I'm New Here
You're 5 You're Celebrated
Mar 9, 2018
Kitchener Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2019 C7 Stingray
Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 isn't available for retail, the dealer wants $250.00 + tax for an oil change.
Retailers sell Mobil 1 5x30 Dexos 1, and Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 Dexos 2.

Which oil would be best for a C7 Stingray?

Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 isn't available for retail, the dealer wants $250.00 + tax for an oil change.

I use the Mobil 1 Dexos 1, 5-30. That's all I have ever used since new in 2015 and if you aren't tracking the hell out of your car, it will be just fine. After all, you have the same engine as mine and that's what GM recommended for these cars back in 2015. There's lots of good oils out there but not everybody is in bed with GM to promote their oil... I buy mine on sale from CDN Tire or Walmart for usually about $30.. for a 4.7 litre jug. I take it to my dealer and he supplies the filter, changes the oil, does the multi point inspection, and I walk away $35.00 lighter. I won't do it myself for $35 even if I had a hoist.

The price difference is $7 for 4.7L ($3.50 when on sale). Why not step up to the ESP formula?
I only track my car once or twice a year.

... I won't do it myself for $35 even if I had a hoist.
I have a hoist in my garage that I can use and am finding that a total cost of
$56 per Corvette at a nearby Dealership with the bring-my-own-Mobil1
is still worth the price - especially when considering the urban disposal convenience.

I paid $240 only once :Banghead: ... until I discovered bring-your-own was possible :thumbs:

Reactions: Cruzin

As Rruuff stated in #2 post and as per owners manual: Viscosity Grade Use SAE 0W-40 viscosity grade engine oil. When selecting an oil of the appropriate viscosity grade, it is recommended to select an oil of the correct specification. See “Specification” earlier in this section. For the LT1 and LT4 engines only, if 0W-40 dexos2 oil is not available, SAE 5W-30 dexos1 full synthetic engine oil may be used for street use.

Last edited:
The price difference is $7 for 4.7L ($3.50 when on sale). Why not step up to the ESP formula?
I only track my car once or twice a year.
The answer to your question is - there is no reason not to use Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40, Dexos2 spec in your Stingray. In fact, you must use it as you've stated that you track your car "once or twice a year". If you were to experience a catastrophic engine failure under track conditions and you were not using the recommended 0W-40 then GM could, and probably would, deny warranty coverage. And, yes, the ECU footprint would show sustained high engine RPM for the relatively short on track period.

The 0W-40 ESP was developed so as to eliminate the need to have to change the engine oil from 5W-30 to 15W-50 for track use on C7 model years 2014 to 2018. After mid-January, 2018 the 0W-40 was introduced as factory fill and this allowed owners to track their cars while using a single brand / viscosity of oil. The 0W-40 also provides improved cold start protection as well as the sustained high RPM protection needed under track conditions.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that the 0W-40 is the better oil, although it may well be, GM and Mobil certainly think so. In fact, I use Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Dexos2 spec in my 2019 GS but I don't track the car and that oil complies with GM's warranty requirements. If I were using the car for any form of competition it would have Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos2 spec in it and this is where I'd buy it.

Best regards
Ross

Last edited:
Reactions: theboss

I had the same issue trying to find the Dexos Mobil 1 outside of a GM dealer in Toronto. The Euro version which is probably very similar is a fraction of the price. But I figure I'll stick with the Dexos one during the 5 year powertrain warranty period just to be on the safe side. The first 2 years of oil changes GM threw in with my 2019 C7...I'll pay for 2 at the dealer in years 3 & 4 (I only put 3K kms/year on it...) and then the 5th it'll be past warranty & I'll get my indie mechanic to do the oil changes with the similar but much cheaper oil.

Reactions: C2-2-C7
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.