YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Spring begins with our Oil Renews and might sadly come with some Mobil 1 arm-wrestling under our Chevrolet Complete Care Program.
I just returned from my local Dealership and they are confirming that I will receive Mobil 1 during my New Purchase Oil Change Program
I was provided with this document dated April 20, 2018 so I thought it best to share it with everyone for their
Spring Out-of-Hibernation Oil Renew Check List Item
(I've posted 2016 to 2019 Models as I believe there is a 2 year from delivery program expiry in Canada)
share your experience for this Spring ... I will add my comment later once the Show is on the Road
and I get my Corvettes in for their Spring 2018 Service
... Best of Good Fortune to everyone involved ...

ncad20180421_87.jpg

ncad20180421_88.jpg

Last edited:
It states it is for the US, but I assume the Canadian version is similar. I expect I'll be visiting my dealer within a couple weeks for my break-in oil change, so it's good to have this. Thanks for posting.
Yup, the potential of a "use Mobil 1 arm wrestle" will continue. I found this document that somewhat relates to "North America" too along with my decal that I placed under the hood from the Mobil 1 document in the "glove box" delivery package, provides a strong argument. Especially when a document stating otherwise cannot be shown to us in return. It apparently comes down to a dealer not profiting as much under this mandated General Motors program by providing Mobil 1 versus the other bulk stuff that they wanna use from the bucket ...

I did get confirmation that other GM 6.2 power plants in trucks and Camaro get the gm oil stuff out of the bucket along with the Cadillacs too. So I won't argue that it doesn't matter other than us Corvette Owners are "special" and choose Heinz Ketchup over the bottle that just says Tomato Catsup (oh god ... here goes derailing of my own thread already - lol)
I'm down to my last two inclusive oil changes on my Corvette. Wife's still has 3 more to go .....

Last edited:
Good thread Spence.
On my 15Z the dealer gave me 4 oil changes. Because of winter storage it ended up getting all 4 before I traded it with less than 9000 km on it.
The new 17 they told me gets 2 years coverage. (Same guy). It has just had its 500 mile oil change before the 8 month winter we just had. They confirmed they are putting Mobil 1 in all the corvettes on the program and letting the customer decide after it’s over.
So I will be asking for clarification on this timing .
I expect the extra changes on the 14 and 15s, especially the 15 Zs are due to the milling shavings problem they had taking out new engines. This was corrected on the 16s and up.
I have had 3 dry sump Z06s in the last 3 years and have had to pay for only 1 Mobil 1 oil change. $250 if memory serves. All in all not bad for what you are getting. Car comes cleaned inside and out every time too. :thumbs:

As a few know me as "a dog on a bone" with this, I have confirmed with a GM Dealer Shop Foreman who is one of few people I find that truly has access to every GM document and bulletin, that ...
2016-2019 Corvette with the Dry Sump Systems in :canada: are to receive Mobil 1 Oil Renews under the inclusive Care Program.
Everyone with this System in Canada can confidently insist on Mobil 1.
I find negotiated resolve again until fall for my Wife's as mine graduates from
the inclusive GM Program to the "empty my back pocket" Program at the end of July.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
To add to this Spence, I received my copy of the corvette car magazine this weekend and leafing through it there's a full page information/advertizing item saying that C7's are to switch from Mobil 1 to Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W40. I'll scan the article and post here tonight. I see on the other website they are saying its coming but hasn't made it to dealers as of yet. The ESP stands for Emissions System Protection.
Here's a tidbit I've found online:
0W-40 Oil
As for the C7 Corvette Oil Upgrade oil you can go to your GM dealer which is available now and purchase the DEXOS2 version of the 0W-40.
You can also purchase the Mobil 1 ESP (Emission System Protection) Formula equivalent of 0W-40 full synthetic at most automotive oil sales locations starting mid 2018.
The 0W-40 began in Europe but in the USA we require the ESP spec oil for GM vehicles.
What is the ESP part of the Mobil 1 Oil specification? Low Sulfur & Phosphorous Content: Helps To Reduce Poisoning Of Gasoline Catalytic Converters. This is a major problem for newer cars. In the past high Phosphorous oils were destroying catalytic converters. In response to this manufactures have lowered the additives to extend the life of emission systems.
High Phosphorous oils attack the converter matrix coating and requires replacement of the converters when they fail. This is typically detected from the monitoring O2 sensor downstream of the Catalytic Converter.
On the flip side, older engines that depend on the additional phosphorous content to extend the life of metal to metal contact parts such as camshaft lobes began to fail. If you own an older engine without roller camshafts pick your oil wisely!
The 0W-40 oil has a weight of SAE 0W-40, meaning it has an SAE viscosity rating of 0 in cold temperatures and a rating of 40 at normal operating temperature. A numerical code system created by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) grades motor oils according to viscosity--the higher the number between 0 and 60, the more viscous (thicker) the oil is. Most consumer motor oils are graded by two numbers, with the first number indicating cold weather (Winter or "W") performance

Your comment is interesting and helpful Paul along with reference to the Magazine Source. My eyebrows raised trying to figure out the last paragraph in the document I posted (above) and a conversation I overheard with the shop boys talking about a rumoured 0W oil (unsure of whether ESP was mentioned) while they were setting up the ZR1s for tracking in Pahrump.
Hmmmm ... the future may not just be an initial qualifying "arm-wrestle" to get Mobil 1 but also a finals "arm-wrestle" to get the suggested Mobil 1 spec?
I sure hope not ....

When i bought my corvette (brand new), in the stack of documents and manuals that came with was a mobil 1 leaflet that had a sticker. They show you where to stick it near the oil tank.
I plan on bringing this leaflet with me when I get the first oil change. It came with the car, so that's what I expect.

When i bought my corvette (brand new), in the stack of documents and manuals that came with was a mobil 1 leaflet that had a sticker. They show you where to stick it near the oil tank.
I plan on bringing this leaflet with me when I get the first oil change. It came with the car, so that's what I expect.
When I brought my 2016 in for the first "complementary" oil change in the autumn of 2016 I was told that if I wanted the MOBILE 1 I would have to pay the cost of the oil which I did even after a long discussion. Down the road one year for the second oil change and with a different service manager (the owner's daughter) and it, MOBILE 1, was included. So it depends on the dealer/service manager as to whether or not you get MOBILE 1 for those complimentary oil changes. I would advise bickering before you drive in to the shop to the increase your chances of getting MOBILE 1
Another example of GM nickel and diming us.

• Useful
True,

I'll be stopping by soon and book my appointment in person. The service manager already knows me and he's already recognized I know more about Corvettes than he does. I'll ask about the Mobil 1, but if they give me a hard time, i might go elsewhere.

But on the other hand, the GM Dexos stuff is fine too, I don't plan on doing any track time.

We'll see. When the free oil changes run out, it'll be Mobil for sure.

True,

I'll be stopping by soon and book my appointment in person. The service manager already knows me and he's already recognized I know more about Corvettes than he does. I'll ask about the Mobil 1, but if they give me a hard time, i might go elsewhere.

But on the other hand, the GM Dexos stuff is fine too, I don't plan on doing any track time.

We'll see. When the free oil changes run out, it'll be Mobil for sure.
Go to Can Tire when M1 is on sale and bring it in if they are too cheap to do it right. Less expensive than what I got charged for the M1 upgrade.
I fail to understand why it is M1 in the US but for us up righteous Canadians we get whatever they feel like giving us. The bloody book says M! and you get the engine sticker for it.

If i'm going to buy the oil i might as well do the change myself since I have a lift in my garage.

It would be a good deal for the dealer, just give me the filter and i'll be on my way!!!

No but seriously, i'll see what they say when I go.

They delivered it with 1 liter too much, the tech doing the PDI probably didn't know how to check a dry-sump oil level. I went back in and told them I had to drain 1L. So they now know I check things through.

It truly depends on your dealer's knowledge and dedication to the Corvette brand.

My dealer Gateway in Brampton only uses Mobil 1 on C7 Corvettes and they also include an additional 2 years after the 2 years on GM's dime. So this year of I'll get my last 2 oil changes out of the 8 free ones. They did once accidentally put in the wrong oil and when I noticed the wrong code on the invoice, they without question took the car back in and did a second oil change putting the proper Mobil 1 in .

It truly depends on your dealer's knowledge and dedication to the Corvette brand.

My dealer Gateway in Brampton only uses Mobil 1 on C7 Corvettes and they also include an additional 2 years after the 2 years on GM's dime. So this year of I'll get my last 2 oil changes out of the 8 free ones. They did once accidentally put in the wrong oil and when I noticed the wrong code on the invoice, they without question took the car back in and did a second oil change putting the proper Mobil 1 in .

Now that’s a dealership that gets it right. A Corvette customer is not an equinox customer. Big difference in expected service and “love of the car” factor. Nevermind the price. :thumbs:

Reactions: YFCvii and smackYYZ

I think most of the dealers who service Corvettes are now up to speed on the Mobil 1 issue. When my 2017 GS was new I took it in to Gateway and had to arm wrestle with them over the Mobil 1 vs Dexos. Fortunately I had the bulletin in the glove box and they agreed after looking it up. I am fine with the Dexos as it is a great spec oil and may even be Mobile 1 that is sold in bulk to GM who puts their spec and name on it. Lord knows they are getting it from one of the major suppliers.

I wish all dealers were up to speed and a rather interesting thought of where all these oils begin in their creation too and how many of them just might be close to the same originating source.
Regardless of weather ... I'm driving to get my oil change tomorrow as the arm wrestle has already been done and everything is in place. My oil change last year shows Mobil 1 was used (arm wrestled). When I went in to pre-book, I was told we just use Dexos by the "desk consultant" (words say a lot eh ... "just"). I think many dealers are fine putting Mobil 1 in as long as one insists. Anyone who is passive about it, I believe many "just using dexos" dealers are banking on that being the majority. I know this really is not a nuclear arms issue ... it's a verbal and perceived integrity thing and damn it ... it involves our New and rather costly to purchase Corvettes.
I have mentioned at these oil changes that when this inclusive oil change experience is completed for me that "no matter what, I will be paying for Mobil 1 Oil Changes thereafter. It is now just a matter of choosing my Dealership that I will go to and that is completely based on how these initial two years of Mobil 1 shenanigans go". Now that often wakes up a Service Manager (doesn't work with the desk consultant of course) ...

oh my ... I guess I'm gonna hafta find a "new hobby" when this topic closes for me :joyful:

Last edited:
I think most of the dealers who service Corvettes are now up to speed on the Mobil 1 issue. When my 2017 GS was new I took it in to Gateway and had to arm wrestle with them over the Mobil 1 vs Dexos. Fortunately I had the bulletin in the glove box and they agreed after looking it up. I am fine with the Dexos as it is a great spec oil and may even be Mobile 1 that is sold in bulk to GM who puts their spec and name on it. Lord knows they are getting it from one of the major suppliers.

That's disappointing to hear David. Like you, I was prepared the first time I took mine in for it's first oil change back in 2014, and they looked it up and confirmed Mobil 1. After the mistake they made on the 2nd oil change and them redoing it, they made a note on my file so it hasn't happened since. And for all service appointments including oil changes I'm to call Voilet @ 905-494-5736 and she ensures that all the work is done by their corvette technician. I know their goal was to become the #2 Corvette dealership in the GTA. But if they hassle every owner like that to ensure a simple oil change is done right not sure they will get there.

Reactions: DavidWG
That's disappointing to hear David. Like you, I was prepared the first time I took mine in for it's first oil change back in 2014, and they looked it up and confirmed Mobil 1. After the mistake they made on the 2nd oil change and them redoing it, they made a note on my file so it hasn't happened since. And for all service appointments including oil changes I'm to call Voilet @ 905-494-5736 and she ensures that all the work is done by their corvette technician. I know their goal was to become the #2 Corvette dealership in the GTA. But if they hassle every owner like that to ensure a simple oil change is done right not sure they will get there.
When I got my 2014 Z51 I had it serviced at Humberview on Bloor where I purchased it and things were OK but I was not crazy about their service writers, nothing specific they just appeared disinterested, besides it was a long drive down to Bloor from Brampton where I live so when I got the 2017 GS I decided to try out Gateway and so far except for that one glitch they have been fine and it is very convenient. Besides Vince Gaudet of the Brampton Corvette Club works part time in the service reception area as his retirement hobby job and he tends to look after the Corvette owners when they come in if he is on duty. Sadly he keeps threatening to completely retire. He was the one who originally gave me the service bulletin to keep in my glove box. I have a week long road trip with the GS to the Americade motorcycle rally in Lake George, NY in 4 weeks so I'll have another oil change coming up in July or August so we'll see how Gateway does without prompting.

Reactions: smackYYZ
2 Corvettes Serviced at Carter in YYC this morning ... almost 19 litres of Mobil 1 documented (9.3 litres each).
A very pleasant experience today and there was $102k to $117k Cadillac CTS-V eye-candy to look over while we waited.
We then went for a 100km cruise to High River and back because "we had to".
Oh yes ... I stray ... The Shop Foreman was very kind and spent 15 minutes with me and during this time he
explained why we have the 1000km initial oil change. I was told a few years ago at another dealer, that it was to check the oil for anomalies. Today, it was explained that dry-sump systems require this as the application of the factory gaskets creates a situation where residue foams in the oil and might then create a blockage. So the oil gets flushed following a break-in of 1000kms .... this actually came to light as the desk consultant was telling me that I get a max 4 oil renews and
I had to get the Shop Foreman to enlighten him on the first one not counting ..... so all I have to do now is remember to get my last one done before 2 years expires at the end of July .... on my return from Meet-in-the-Middle or most likely the Cold Lake Air Show Cruise ...

eye-candy ...

2 Corvettes Serviced at Carter in YYC this morning ... almost 19 litres of Mobil 1 documented (9.3 litres each).
A very pleasant experience today and there was $102k to $117k Cadillac CTS-V eye-candy to look over while we waited.
We then went for a 100km cruise to High River and back because "we had to".
Oh yes ... I stray ... The Shop Foreman was very kind and spent 15 minutes with me and during this time he
explained why we have the 1000km initial oil change. I was told a few years ago at another dealer, that it was to check the oil for anomalies. Today, it was explained that dry-sump systems require this as the application of the factory gaskets creates a situation where residue foams in the oil and might then create a blockage. So the oil gets flushed following a break-in of 1000kms .... this actually came to light as the desk consultant was telling me that I get a max 4 oil renews and
I had to get the Shop Foreman to enlighten him on the first one not counting ..... so all I have to do now is remember to get my last one done before 2 years expires at the end of July .... on my return from Meet-in-the-Middle or most likely the Cold Lake Air Show Cruise ...

eye-candy Cadillac with Z06 power ... I know ... a 4 door Corvette
75AACB07-0D70-4E44-AE8E-6C8BBD3C7FA3.jpegB754C6B3-B809-4885-AE1C-62AC5CAD9C6B.jpeg805F7EBC-B78A-4860-8FEA-75AFE168ABD2.jpeg1F050CC0-EE47-44A2-B74F-925B80416622.jpeg.jpg
black cts-v @ddgermann

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.