Tim C.

Regular
You're 5
Aug 22, 2015
Ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2006 Coupe
Can someone explain to me how this works on my 06 Vette coupe..I do not have the NPP ports that are on the 08. Corvette Central tells me they will work?

Good morning @Tim C. I installed the mild to wild system on my ‘05. Works great! The system uses vacuum off your engine. There a port off the back of you engine that can be reached from the passenger side of the engine bay. Bearly Flying helped me install this kit. You place the “brain” in one of your turn I cubby’s and drill holes to run tubing to the mufflers as well as tubing to the front. I put this in through the trans tunnel to protect it and then up to the back of the engine. You must break off the pigtail to slide the tubing over the port. Tough but after enough cussing and coffee you will get it on. You must also run power and ground up to the fuse box on the passenger side floorboard. The wireless remote will do the rest. I bought the axle back mufflers on CCF from a fellow in Saskatoon and they system works well. Go for it!

Reactions: turbozig
Good morning @Tim C. I installed the mild to wild system on my ‘05. Works great! The system uses vacuum off your engine. There a port off the back of you engine that can be reached from the passenger side of the engine bay. Bearly Flying helped me install this kit. You place the “brain” in one of your turn I cubby’s and drill holes to run tubing to the mufflers as well as tubing to the front. I put this in through the trans tunnel to protect it and then up to the back of the engine. You must break off the pigtail to slide the tubing over the port. Tough but after enough cussing and coffee you will get it on. You must also run power and ground up to the fuse box on the passenger side floorboard. The wireless remote will do the rest. I bought the axle back mufflers on CCF from a fellow in Saskatoon and they system works well. Go for it!
Thanks so much

From my viewpoint, the coffee was what made it a tough job Paul. Beer flows so much easier. lol....

I miss Don..... :(

• Agree
Reactions: Bixter44 and YFCvii
I agree Eric, Don was a true friend from the first time you met him. Down to earth and offered to help me even though he only just met me. Loved speding the day at his garage.

Reactions: YFCvii
Sorry if I got this wrong....but the op was asking regarding the mild to wild switch would work and then mentioned he did not have NPP. Would not the answer be it will not work unless you installed a NPP system? The Mild to Wild switch is not an exhaust system but a way to manually control a NPP exhaust.

Sorry if I got this wrong....but the op was asking regarding the mild to wild switch would work and then mentioned he did not have NPP. Would not the answer be it will not work unless you installed a NPP system? The Mild to Wild switch is not an exhaust system but a way to manually control a NPP exhaust.
Believe your bang on..Thanks

Believe your bang on..Thanks

I don't mean to confuse, and I apologize for my previous comment - just being funny because my car is loud as EFF with Corsa Extreme and no NPP or otherwise.

Anyway Tim, the answer to your question is twofold:

Yes, you can have a Mild to Wild setup installed on your 06 C6, but no, it is not just as simple as buying a remote or a switchbox to make it work. Your car does not have the factory hardware to do this, but you certainly can add it.

First of all, Mild to Wild is an aftermarket brand (not Chevrolet) that controls electronically actuated valves to direct your exhaust flow. I will try to explain this simply and y'all will forgive me for being crude and technically inaccurate, but in the interest of establishing a basic understanding, I'm going to stick to my KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle.

At heart, we are all still teenagers and want our car to be loud (like straight-pipes or 'bottles'), but in reality we are all old, married, and live in neighborhoods where we don't want to wake our neighbors, the kids, or our wives when we come home after a long night of cruising. We WANT loud, but we sometimes NEED quiet. So what do we do?

For years now, we have had these nifty things called 'cutouts'. On classic hot rods, it is a simple Y at the end of each header (exhaust manifold) with a bolted cap and a gasket inside. With the cap bolted on, the exhaust goes through the pipes and the mufflers, and makes a subdued sound. With the cap unbolted off, some of the exhaust can come out right at the end of the header, and it is pretty much as loud as an engine can get. Although I do know plenty of people who carry a ratchet and socket to take these caps off and put them back on again, it is a not only a pain in the ass, but those pipes get really hot. I mean permanent scars kinda hot, and Corvettes are not exactly easy to get under (or into) to work with those caps.

Many years of evolution later, we had electric cutouts, which is simply a motorized butterfly valve at the aforementioned Y that will determine whether the exhaust goes out of the cutout (loud) or through the pipes and mufflers (less loud).

The Corvette NPP system is very similar, except that the Y is not located at the header, it is located at the mufflers. The same principle of the butterfly valve still applies. When being 'quiet', the exhaust is directed through the main chambers of the muffler to reduce the sound. When being 'loud' the exhaust is directed around the chambers to the open pipes which makes the unmuffled noise. Although all C6 (&C7) Corvettes have four exhaust tips, the NPP only uses two at a time. Two quiet ones, or two loud ones. [This also helps to explain why you NPP guys have two dirty pipes, and two clean ones].

You can certainly purchase aftermarket mufflers with the electric valves to do exactly the same thing on your 06. The Mild to Wild switch is simply an electric cutout that is controlled with a remote so that you can decide when it should be loud, and when it should be quiet.

The factory NPP is designed such that if you are at full throttle, or above 3500rpm, the exhaust should be 'loud'. The Mild to Wild lets you decide all the time, whether at idle, part throttle, or full throttle.

Or you could just buy a Corsa Sport axle-back. It sounds better under throttle than any of the stock exhaust (NPP or not), and is quiet when you are being easy on the throttle. Why did I type all of this? Corsa Sport axle-back. Just do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: RockyPM and KevinB
I looked into electric cutouts last year, main issue I came across is that pending where its installed your going to loose ground clearance and my kooks long tubes stick down enough. That was a deal breaker for me.

How does it work with no PPM?

My car has a full Corsa Extreme exhaust with 1-7/8" ARH longtubes, off-road Y, no cats, and a moderately aggressive cam. I am joking when I say that my ignition switch is my Mild to Wild switch. The car is quiet when it is parked and turned off, and any time that the engine is running it is LOUD.

I drove a C5 with a Corsa Sport it was a nice sounding tameish sound. I really like the sound of the NPP which I run mostly open except on the highway crusing where on along trip some relief from noise can keep the wife happy. I am doing some mods this spring including a SC....we will see what I end up with exhaust wise.

Reactions: RockyPM
@Tim C., sorry for not making it clear enough on my first post. I bought my axleback exhaust...... should have said bought a used NPP exhaust. In order for the mild to wild switch to work you must replace your OEM axle back exhaust pipe with NPP exhaust pipes as explained above by @Jeremiad. either Npp OEM that someone has taken off their car to upgrade or aftermarket parts. There is no use to buy the M2W without the Npp (bi-mode) exhaust mufflers.

My apologies for the confusion to all.

Reactions: Jeremiad and KevinB
I don't mean to confuse, and I apologize for my previous comment - just being funny because my car is loud as EFF with Corsa Extreme and no NPP or otherwise.

Anyway Tim, the answer to your question is twofold:

Yes, you can have a Mild to Wild setup installed on your 06 C6, but no, it is not just as simple as buying a remote or a switchbox to make it work. Your car does not have the factory hardware to do this, but you certainly can add it.

First of all, Mild to Wild is an aftermarket brand (not Chevrolet) that controls electronically actuated valves to direct your exhaust flow. I will try to explain this simply and y'all will forgive me for being crude and technically inaccurate, but in the interest of establishing a basic understanding, I'm going to stick to my KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle.

At heart, we are all still teenagers and want our car to be loud (like straight-pipes or 'bottles'), but in reality we are all old, married, and live in neighborhoods where we don't want to wake our neighbors, the kids, or our wives when we come home after a long night of cruising. We WANT loud, but we sometimes NEED quiet. So what do we do?

For years now, we have had these nifty things called 'cutouts'. On classic hot rods, it is a simple Y at the end of each header (exhaust manifold) with a bolted cap and a gasket inside. With the cap bolted on, the exhaust goes through the pipes and the mufflers, and makes a subdued sound. With the cap unbolted off, some of the exhaust can come out right at the end of the header, and it is pretty much as loud as an engine can get. Although I do know plenty of people who carry a ratchet and socket to take these caps off and put them back on again, it is a not only a pain in the ass, but those pipes get really hot. I mean permanent scars kinda hot, and Corvettes are not exactly easy to get under (or into) to work with those caps.

Many years of evolution later, we had electric cutouts, which is simply a motorized butterfly valve at the aforementioned Y that will determine whether the exhaust goes out of the cutout (loud) or through the pipes and mufflers (less loud).

The Corvette NPP system is very similar, except that the Y is not located at the header, it is located at the mufflers. The same principle of the butterfly valve still applies. When being 'quiet', the exhaust is directed through the main chambers of the muffler to reduce the sound. When being 'loud' the exhaust is directed around the chambers to the open pipes which makes the unmuffled noise. Although all C6 (&C7) Corvettes have four exhaust tips, the NPP only uses two at a time. Two quiet ones, or two loud ones. [This also helps to explain why you NPP guys have two dirty pipes, and two clean ones].

You can certainly purchase aftermarket mufflers with the electric valves to do exactly the same thing on your 06. The Mild to Wild switch is simply an electric cutout that is controlled with a remote so that you can decide when it should be loud, and when it should be quiet.

The factory NPP is designed such that if you are at full throttle, or above 3500rpm, the exhaust should be 'loud'. The Mild to Wild lets you decide all the time, whether at idle, part throttle, or full throttle.

Or you could just buy a Corsa Sport axle-back. It sounds better under throttle than any of the stock exhaust (NPP or not), and is quiet when you are being easy on the throttle. Why did I type all of this? Corsa Sport axle-back. Just do that.
Thank so much

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.