Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins

"A new report from Automobile might clear some confusion about the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette. After decades of rumor and speculation, America’s sports car is all but confirmed to finally make the switch to a mid-engine configuration (about which we have mixed feelings). We’ve seen some pretty telling spy shots of the mid-engine ‘Vette, but we’ve also seen (barely) camouflaged versions of a new, current-generation (C7) Corvette with a big wing and some other aggressive-looking aerodynamics. This, we believe, is the C7 ZR1, which will sit atop the C7 food chain. Automobile speculates the new ZR1 will make over 700 horsepower, and we already know it does pretty damn well on the track.

So, what do all of these Cs and Zs mean? It means the current, C7 Corvette is likely to be sold alongside the upcoming C8 “Zora,” named after the father of Corvette performance, Zora Arkus-Duntov, who was also a proponent of putting the Corvette’s engine behind the driver. Both cars are expected to be sold together as 2019 models, and possibly continue for a couple model years before the C7 is phased out.

The C7 ZR1 could be the last hurrah for the classically configured front-engine, rear-drive Corvette that has soldiered on for over 60 years. While a beloved sports car—and arguably already the best car in its class for the money—Chevy has decided it’s time to move the Corvette upmarket and take the mid-engine plunge. The C8 Zora should have what it takes go toe-to-toe with the likes of the Audi R8 and the McLaren 570S while finally out-handling the next-oldest name in premium sports cars, the Porsche 911.

A rumor that’s almost as old as the mid-engine Corvette gossip is the notion that GM will spin Corvette off from Chevy, to become its own brand of performance cars. Could two different Corvettes sold side-by-side in the same model year be a hint that the second-hottest Corvette rumor could also come true?

The Automobile report suggests the 2019 Corvette(s) will go on sale in mid- to late 2018. The C7 ZR1 is expected to start at $105,000, while the mid-engine C8 Zora could start anywhere from $65,000-$95,000. Which car would you rather have?"

Credits and quotes from here:
Mid-Engine Chevy Corvette C8 Zora Rumored to be Sold Alongside the C7 ZR1

So, the mid engine version is going to be cheaper than the traditional layout? Interesting.
I still find it hard to believe that the front engine/rear drive will be phased out. All I can really think of for the big push to eventually have only a mid engine version is that it’s easier to make into a hybrid with elictric motors powering the front wheels.

"A new report from Automobile might clear some confusion about the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette. After decades of rumor and speculation, America’s sports car is all but confirmed to finally make the switch to a mid-engine configuration (about which we have mixed feelings). We’ve seen some pretty telling spy shots of the mid-engine ‘Vette, but we’ve also seen (barely) camouflaged versions of a new, current-generation (C7) Corvette with a big wing and some other aggressive-looking aerodynamics. This, we believe, is the C7 ZR1, which will sit atop the C7 food chain. Automobile speculates the new ZR1 will make over 700 horsepower, and we already know it does pretty damn well on the track.

So, what do all of these Cs and Zs mean? It means the current, C7 Corvette is likely to be sold alongside the upcoming C8 “Zora,” named after the father of Corvette performance, Zora Arkus-Duntov, who was also a proponent of putting the Corvette’s engine behind the driver. Both cars are expected to be sold together as 2019 models, and possibly continue for a couple model years before the C7 is phased out.

The C7 ZR1 could be the last hurrah for the classically configured front-engine, rear-drive Corvette that has soldiered on for over 60 years. While a beloved sports car—and arguably already the best car in its class for the money—Chevy has decided it’s time to move the Corvette upmarket and take the mid-engine plunge. The C8 Zora should have what it takes go toe-to-toe with the likes of the Audi R8 and the McLaren 570S while finally out-handling the next-oldest name in premium sports cars, the Porsche 911.

A rumor that’s almost as old as the mid-engine Corvette gossip is the notion that GM will spin Corvette off from Chevy, to become its own brand of performance cars. Could two different Corvettes sold side-by-side in the same model year be a hint that the second-hottest Corvette rumor could also come true?

The Automobile report suggests the 2019 Corvette(s) will go on sale in mid- to late 2018. The C7 ZR1 is expected to start at $105,000, while the mid-engine C8 Zora could start anywhere from $65,000-$95,000. Which car would you rather have?"

Credits and quotes from here:
Mid-Engine Chevy Corvette C8 Zora Rumored to be Sold Alongside the C7 ZR1
The C8 for me; especially, if available as a vert or not? I'd have to see it and drive it and if I wanted one, I'd have to send my wife away for a long time so that I could build a defense - LOL.

The only way the mid engine Zora will be cheaper than traditional is if GM uses leftover Cruze frames and bodys with recycled plastic Hyundai interiors. :p
My recollection from what I have read: C8 probably around $125 - $150 range, produced for several years at least along with the C7 - they do not want to alienate their vette enthusiasts - great car at reasonable price which we can all agree on is correct! I also read new smaller engine with way more HP (700-750) than the current C7 incl. Z06 currently - probably bi-turbo 4.0L or 4.3 seems to ring a bell . I guess we will know very soon.

Reactions: turbozig
My recollection from what I have read: C8 probably around $125 - $150 range, produced for several years at least along with the C7 - they do not want to alienate their vette enthusiasts - great car at reasonable price which we can all agree on is correct! I also read new smaller engine with way more HP (700-750) than the current C7 incl. Z06 currently - probably bi-turbo 4.0L or 4.3 seems to ring a bell . I guess we will know very soon.

The rumor is the newly patented DOOC V8 LT5 for the C8.

DOHC V8 coming to 2018 Chevy Corvette according to GM Document

Yes it is going to be a very interesting year with Corvette. We should know more by the end of November.... :thumbs:

hmmmm ... GM is known to have similar models ..... hmmmm
SO maybe the six-digit Zora will go with the Cadillac Dealerships (hence the new stand-alone coming in Calgary)
and the Chevy will remain with the Chevys .... GM did that, does that and may continue to do that ....

Oh no Nik! Don't fix that new branding yet for CCF .... CCZF?

Reactions: ddgermann
It seems rumor is to become reality with the C8 mid-engine vette. I find it hard to believe the C8 will be cheaper than the traditional layout. I would assume the C8 would start around the $105,000 mark. The price will put the mid-engine in a field by its own and will be a specialty car.

It seems rumor is to become reality with the C8 mid-engine vette. I find it hard to believe the C8 will be cheaper than the traditional layout. I would assume the C8 would start around the $105,000 mark. The price will put the mid-engine in a field by its own and will be a specialty car.

There was a great debate about that in here a couple months ago. In the end it all remained a guess, hunch, or feeling as to the prices of the C8 and available models. Of all the forum discussions around it was a pretty good one. Some think there may be a lower powered/optioned C8 offered for well under 100k. Maybe closer to 75k and then up up you go. Engines and options up to the 175k area... or possibly higher with the AWD that’s rumoured in the minds of the engineers.
There really is so much going on now with the C7 and the eventual end of it’s run. What will be left for people who want that new base Corvette for 65-75K. Will it still be there in a few years?
GM so far has done great keeping us in suspense but hopefully that’s soon over too.

:canada:

Reactions: turbozig
The rumor is the newly patented DOOC V8 LT5 for the C8.

DOHC V8 coming to 2018 Chevy Corvette according to GM Document

Yes it is going to be a very interesting year with Corvette. We should know more by the end of November.... :thumbs:

Agreed Derek, I also believe the DOOC V8 is the future of GM performance. 4WD and HP? It is going to be very interesting what they release. Whatever it is, lookout GT40 and Hellcat, there is a new King about to be throned!!

There is no chance they are "challenging" an R8 or any McLaren at a price point less than $100k that is for sure. Maybe if they used Eric's Cruze frame and left out.. say.. 3rd gear (extra weight and doesn't seem to work anyways) they could be closer :)

There is no chance they are "challenging" an R8 or any McLaren at a price point less than $100k that is for sure. Maybe if they used Eric's Cruze frame and left out.. say.. 3rd gear (extra weight and doesn't seem to work anyways) they could be closer :)

I hear GM is going to make sure the next auto tranny in the Corvette bumps in every gear so they can say it was designed that way to give drivers the feeling they are actually using a third pedal....:rolleyes:

For sure I agree with that. The potential for Corvette has the possibility to be quite wide in range now.
Kind of like the Ford Mustang vs Ford GT.
From 6 cyl sports car to super car.
Except with the Corvette offering the C7 and C8 simultaneously the range of price and performances should be broader than the Ford / Dodge products.
The higher end Corvettes should compete well with the A8 and McLaren.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread