Apr 1, 2012
Port Moody BC Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Corvette Grand
Hey all. I just purchased a 2017 Grand Sport and it came with Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. I'm enjoying the tires but have heard some ugly things in regards to Tread Warranties. Under normal driving conditions will I be replacing these Run Flats in the next 10,000 kms or even sooner??? If so going to have to look for alternatives.

Reactions: nascar03
I don't know about the newer Corvettes, but our 2005 came with the front tires cambered in at the top for Mr. Racecar. I won't be on a track. 10-15K miles and the tread was nearly gone on the inside. I was told that zero camber on the front was good for normal driving and tire life, so I went with that when having new tires installed. Two summers ago and things are still looking good on the Firestone runflats.

DrVette..
Welcome to the forum..I love your car .

I didn't check when we met up the other night..
Are your Pilot Sport Cup 2s the Zero Pressure(ZP) or normal Sport Cup 2s. ?
There seems to be a difference in the tread pattern and depth between them.

Graham

Keith is correct about the negative front tire camber on his and also on the C7. If you are not tracking the car, everyone I have talked to notices no difference at all in the handling once the front end has been re-cambered, and it will save inside edge front tire wear. I changed out the F1's on my C6 at 35,000 km and they were down to the cords on that inside edge. I haven't looked at my C7 yet but that and having the camber backed off is on my to-do list.

Reactions: ddgermann
Welcome drvette!
I just today went through the agony of that decision. Today I bought a set of PSS for my new Z (if it ever arrives) and am having them put on instead of the SC2s as I am not planning on tracking the car. I decided to leave the alignment factory for now as I thought I remembered reading on here the front is a but less crisp in handling at highway speeds with a more neutral alignment.
Interesting to now hear there is no noticeable difference in handling. Might have to reconsider. I think they do a complimentary alignment check after the suspension settles anyway right?

D

Hey all. I just purchased a 2017 Grand Sport and it came with Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. I'm enjoying the tires but have heard some ugly things in regards to Tread Warranties. Under normal driving conditions will I be replacing these Run Flats in the next 10,000 kms or even sooner??? If so going to have to look for alternatives.
Welcome drvette!
I just today went through the agony of that decision. Today I bought a set of PSS for my new Z (if it ever arrives) and am having them put on instead of the SC2s as I am not planning on tracking the car. I decided to leave the alignment factory for now as I thought I remembered reading on here the front is a but less crisp in handling at highway speeds with a more neutral alignment.
Interesting to now hear there is no noticeable difference in handling. Might have to reconsider. I think they do a complimentary alignment check after the suspension settles anyway right?

D
Are you sure you have Cup 2s? They usually only come with the Z07 package. The other Zs and the Grand Sports normally come with pilot super sports. I have almost 10k on my Z07 with Cup 2s and they will be toast by the end of this season. Will switch to Super Sports for next year.

Are you sure you have Cup 2s? They usually only come with the Z07 package. The other Zs and the Grand Sports normally come with pilot super sports. I have almost 10k on my Z07 with Cup 2s and they will be toast by the end of this season. Will switch to Super Sports for next year.

I'm positive as my new Z has the Z07 package. I just cringe imagining these PSC2s tires on a wet road or changing them at 10K km so I went ahead and got the PSSs for it. I'm sure they are the real deal for the track but for a cruiser like me.. naw. The tires are already there saw them yesterday...now just need the car to show up.
D

Last edited:
Welcome drvette!

D
Complimentary? lol

Just got my '18 Z06. Considering going to the more neutral camber as well as I know my '14 wore the inner front tires out early. Hard to change a set up on a new car though and to pay as well after dropping large coin. I had both alignments and did not notice a difference street/highway driving so I'm not sure why the factory insists on setting up the front end this way. My BMW was bad for this too and so I also moved away from the factory specs to have my tires last longer.

Reactions: ddgermann
Look what happened to mine , I have 19,000 kms on them . Had a vibration coming from the front of the car the other week , we couldn't find what the noise was but it sounded like it was coming from somewhere around the rad . So , we thought we would lift the car , take of the skidplate and check from underneath . When I jacked the front of the car , I saw the inner sides of the front tires . WOW , I just about crapped my pants . Needless to say , I had to replace both front tires . Of course , as is usual , cant get the run flats due to short supply , so went with Pilot Super sport in Non run flat , slightly wider tire at 295/30/19 . Got the front end re aligned due to aggressive settings from factory .

Attachments

• Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 63
Welcome drvette!

D
Look what happened to mine , I have 19,000 kms on them . Had a vibration coming from the front of the car the other week , we couldn't find what the noise was but it sounded like it was coming from somewhere around the rad . So , we thought we would lift the car , take of the skidplate and check from underneath . When I jacked the front of the car , I saw the inner sides of the front tires . WOW , I just about crapped my pants . Needless to say , I had to replace both front tires . Of course , as is usual , cant get the run flats due to short supply , so went with Pilot Super sport in Non run flat , slightly wider tire at 295/30/19 . Got the front end re aligned due to aggressive settings from factory .
Forgot to post the alignment sheet

Attachments

• Alinegment.jpg
    Alinegment.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 57

Wow. Good thing you felt / saw that before things got ugly and you maybe wrecked on a blowout. Think I'll get my alignment eased off a bit on the first oil change.
Great post!
Thanks D

Yes I have cup 2's and I have the Z07 package.

I'm going to have my alignment checked and redone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread