Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
Figured I would give the Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax a try. Have always used their Ultimate Hydrophobic synthetic wax and loved it but you know how it is... gotta try the new kid on the block. Did my wheels today. Will likely do the rest of the car tomorrow, weather permitting... I think the wheels turned out good...

IMG_20200420_155905.jpg

Figured I would give the Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax a try. Have always used their Ultimate Hydrophobic synthetic wax and loved it but you know how it is... gotta try the new kid on the block. Did my wheels today. Will likely do the rest of the car tomorrow, weather permitting... I think the wheels turned out good...

View attachment 39035
I did my wheels today as well with the same product..Time will tell.

Well. Day 2 of the Meguirars Hybrid ceramic wax. My hose was finally thawed so broke out the pressure washer, backed the Vette out of the cave and onto the only dry grass spot in my yard and proceeded to wash her. Now to the ceramic wax.... Following the directions religiously (as I tend to do), I pulled the Vette back into the cave so it would be in the shade (as directed), left the car wet (as also directed) and proceeded to apply the new ceramic wax. Sprayed it on as directed on the bottle and also as shown in the Meguirars youtube... Then began drying with a good microfibre. All good so far... didn't take long and the first microfbre was pretty much saturated, soon to the next one... Six microfibres later and I was getting close to having the car dry. But alas, there was still a haze. So on to another dry microfibre to buff to a pristine shine... An hour and four microfibres later, I was still buffing, trying to rid the finish of those irritating smudge spots. Finally I was done.Popped my first beer and sat down to admire my work... Wait... there's a smudge spot... Up out of my chair to buff it out... Wait. there's another one... The hell with this so I backed the car back out into the sunshine so I could take a good look... Damn.... Smudges in lots of places...A new microfibre and buffing again when I realized all I was doing was moving the smudges from one spot to another.... So out came the random orbit power polisher with a buffer pad.... Went over pretty much the whole car again and thought finally.... So back into the cave, popped another beer and sat down... Damn.... there's one i missed... buff buff buff... Power buffing and 12 microfibres and I think I finally have the finish the way I like..Nope...more smudge that I missed...Out comes the Lucas SlickMist and they disappeared a lot easier....Ok...maybe my anality (that may not be a word) is showing, but as some of you may have realized, I like my old girl to be showroom... So standing back admiring my work I came to the realization that my car doesn't look any better than my old standby, the Mequirars Ultimate Hydrophobic synthetic wax, and was one helluvalot more work and more money...hmmmmm.... Yeah it looks good but damn it, I hope the hype about how the dirt just runs off easy as pie is true... At the end of the day, I will try the "spray on pressure wash off and you're done" that they advertise for the after treatments but to be honest, once this bottle is gone, this will be the last time I use this product. If there's any shine difference at all, I can't see it. The Meguiars ultimate and the Lucas slickmist detailer is far easier and gives me just as good a finish and lasts me the whole season... here's a look... Ignore the light differences

This is yesterday before I even washed the car...
View attachment 39088

These are after the Meguiars ceramic wax
IMG_20200421_162004.jpg

IMG_20200421_162050.jpg

This is last years clean with the old standby Mequiars Ultimate....

DSCN8175 (3).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_154819.jpg
    IMG_20200421_154819.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Holy Crap …. I was getting worried where the story was heading ...
although I sure do love doing things that have the potential for me
To add a new tool to the garage ...
I'm thinking I might not try the stuff … I just don't have enough beer.

… and @turbozig always ends up with the trophy … :Banghead:

Last edited:
I cleaned mine with my Wife offsite at a spray-wash in Winnipeg. There was no way I could compete with the intensity and passion that the two of you were performing. 😁👍🏻

I dunno Spence. You and Freda were up there spit shining for a while too. Zig and I knew there was a bottle of bourbon waiting for us after too. That's what kept us going... Lol...

Reactions: turbozig
I dunno Spence. You and Freda were up there spit shining for a while too. Zig and I knew there was a bottle of bourbon waiting for us after too. That's what kept us going... Lol...
Oh ya ... we are always good to do our part to join in with a “Corvette detailing fest” when we got back ... that was a great night that I will always remember 👍🏻

Well. Day 2 of the Meguirars Hybrid ceramic wax. My hose was finally thawed so broke out the pressure washer, backed the Vette out of the cave and onto the only dry grass spot in my yard and proceeded to wash her. Now to the ceramic wax.... Following the directions religiously (as I tend to do), I pulled the Vette back into the cave so it would be in the shade (as directed), left the car wet (as also directed) and proceeded to apply the new ceramic wax. Sprayed it on as directed on the bottle and also as shown in the Meguirars youtube... Then began drying with a good microfibre. All good so far... didn't take long and the first microfbre was pretty much saturated, soon to the next one... Six microfibres later and I was getting close to having the car dry. But alas, there was still a haze. So on to another dry microfibre to buff to a pristine shine... An hour and four microfibres later, I was still buffing, trying to rid the finish of those irritating smudge spots. Finally I was done.Popped my first beer and sat down to admire my work... Wait... there's a smudge spot... Up out of my chair to buff it out... Wait. there's another one... The hell with this so I backed the car back out into the sunshine so I could take a good look... Damn.... Smudges in lots of places...A new microfibre and buffing again when I realized all I was doing was moving the smudges from one spot to another.... So out came the random orbit power polisher with a buffer pad.... Went over pretty much the whole car again and thought finally.... So back into the cave, popped another beer and sat down... Damn.... there's one i missed... buff buff buff... Power buffing and 12 microfibres and I think I finally have the finish the way I like..Nope...more smudge that I missed...Out comes the Lucas SlickMist and they disappeared a lot easier....Ok...maybe my anality (that may not be a word) is showing, but as some of you may have realized, I like my old girl to be showroom... So standing back admiring my work I came to the realization that my car doesn't look any better than my old standby, the Mequirars Ultimate Hydrophobic synthetic wax, and was one helluvalot more work and more money...hmmmmm.... Yeah it looks good but damn it, I hope the hype about how the dirt just runs off easy as pie is true... At the end of the day, I will try the "spray on pressure wash off and you're done" that they advertise for the after treatments but to be honest, once this bottle is gone, this will be the last time I use this product. If there's any shine difference at all, I can't see it. The Meguiars ultimate and the Lucas slickmist detailer is far easier and gives me just as good a finish and lasts me the whole season... here's a look... Ignore the light differences

This is yesterday before I even washed the car...
View attachment 39088

These are after the Meguiars ceramic wax
View attachment 39092

View attachment 39090

This is last years clean with the old standby Mequiars Ultimate....

View attachment 39091
Noticed on your last year’s pic your beauty was sitting on some kind of pad. Would you be kind enough to advise what they are and where you got them? Thanks in advance.

Noticed on your last year’s pic your beauty was sitting on some kind of pad. Would you be kind enough to advise what they are and where you got them? Thanks in advance.
No problem. I couldn't justify buying commercial parking pads so I built them my self. 2" x 2" frame 2 feet long. Plywood bottom on the frame. A 2" x 6" x 14" piece screwed to the frame and bevel cut to drive up on. And a piece of 2" styrofoam cut to fit in the frame. I glued and stapled a piece of that rubberized non-slip cupboard liner to the bottom so they don't slide when you drive up on them. Once I had them positioned and my car up on them, I made a small corner mark on the concrete for each one so I can put them in the right spots every year. They work great except I would (and may) rebuild them this summer if I get ambitious as I would like them both wider and longer so I didn't have to be so finicky in getting positioned on them exactly right..I will also maybe change out the 2 x 6 bevel piece for a 2 x 12 so I can cut the bevel a lot flatter as it's a bump to get up on them and then always careful to get on the brake quick enough so I don't end up driving off the end of them...lol... Here's a couple pictures.

DSCN9976.JPG

DSCN9978.JPG

DSCN9977.JPG

DSCN9979.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.