Oct 16, 2016
VetteCoins
Car
C6 GS Convertible
Province
ON
I remove my battery when storing car for the winter. Has anyone used a memory saver to maintain voltage continuity for computer, clock and radio memory when vehicle battery is disconnected for winter storage?

Never used one as I have a shop with power and use battery maintainers on all my stored vehicles. Memory savers are typically used for short term battery disconnects ie: changing a battery, etc. The memory saver battery is normally a 9V transistor type battery. Not sure if it would maintain charge for 6+ months running the computer, clock, etc. which would defeat the purpose if it didn't last. If you do use one, make sure it is connected to an un-switched cig lighter.

Never used one as I have a shop with power and use battery maintainers on all my stored vehicles. Memory savers are typically used for short term battery disconnects ie: changing a battery, etc. The memory saver battery is normally a 9V transistor type battery. Not sure if it would maintain charge for 6+ months running the computer, clock, etc. which would defeat the purpose if it didn't last. If you do use one, make sure it is connected to an un-switched cig lighter.
Thanks and whether it would maintain for 6 months is basically why I asked the question. The memory unit that I’m looking at plugs into the OBD port.

Disconnect your battery, cover your car and sleep well knowing its all good.
In the spring connect battery, start car and go have fun.
My C6 did not loose any memory after being stored with the battery disconnected.
If you have to reprogram the radio, so be it.
All good.

Reactions: Dik
There is a number of posts here from members who lost their Nav clock function when their battery was disconnected. There is a CD-rom available it seems to fix this but if you have Nav, I would be hesitant to just disconnect for fear of having to search for the download to get your clock working again. JMO

I also disconnect the battery in my C7 during winter storage. I have nav and did not loose any functions.
I believe this is normal, but it may not come with a guarantee.
These vehicles have a constant drain on the battery while connected.
A friend with a C7 had to re-index his windows after a winter storage. Some do, some don't.
I have a battery tender and only use it when the car may sit for a week or more.
It a personal preference as to using a battery tender or a total disconnect for extended periods of time. The oil life indicator will keep tickin when stored with the tender attached.

Hello DL. I've had my C6 in storage for up to 6 months with the battery out. I only had to reindex the windows and change the speedo from mph to kph. You might want to leave the hood unlatched (down but not fully closed) so you can get back in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith Tedford
Hello DL. I've had my C6 in storage for up to 6 months with the battery out. I only had to reindex the windows and change the speedo from mph to kph. You might want to leave the hood unlatched (down but not fully closed) so you can get back in.
Hi Canuckguy. Thanks for the info and wondering if your car has Nav? Seems that some of the cars with Nav lose the clock after a battery disconnect.

The battery can be removed, and the only thing you will need to do in the Spring is re-index the windows. As mentioned, leave you hood propped slightly open so you can reconnect your battery for your FOB to work to open your door.
If you have the Nav unit, it is simple to download the fix file on a CD-R and upload in the DVD slot. It's funny to see the fix it file on CD for sale on Ebay for as high as $50.00. I'll make you one for free if you need it in the future.
Just as A FYI, once you download the clock fix, you can disconnect the battery and it will not affect the NAV unit clock, or unit. It will be good to go.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
The battery can be removed, and the only thing you will need to do in the Spring is re-index the windows. As mentioned, leave you hood propped slightly open so you can reconnect your battery for your FOB to work to open your door.
If you have the Nav unit, it is simple to download the fix file on a CD-R and upload in the DVD slot. It's funny to see the fix it file on CD for sale on Ebay for as high as $50.00. I'll make you one for free if you need it in the future.
Just as A FYI, once you download the clock fix, you can disconnect the battery and it will not affect the NAV unit clock, or unit. It will be good to go.
Area Z51 thanks for the info and for the offer of the fix file. I’ll remove the battery for storage and won’t bother with a memory saver and hopefully won’t have any clock issues.
The clock was working when the car was delivered even though battery had been replaced by a Mercedes Benz dealer (where I purchased the car) and I doubt they even knew the car had a working clock to repair. And I’ve disconnected the battery twice while doing some work on the car and both times the clock worked fine afterwards.
Really hate talking about putting the car away for the winter.

I never remove the battery for storage - just disconnect the Neg. cable, and then for spring the only adjustment is to re index the windows. The clock etc was an issue a while ago, however Corvette Mechanic CT. uploaded a software fix and now all is good. The GPS and some of the C6 units had issues with the factory setting.

With our 2005, I just hook up a battery tender when the car will be sitting for a long time. I've never had a problem is 9 years. Batteries do get old and need to be replaced a little more often than with the cars in the old days. Perhaps the batteries aren't as well built. Whatever, these cars seem to need a strong battery to handle all the systems. The car had a new battery when we bought it in 2012. 7 years is good. Last year, I put in a new, top of the line Delco battery with a 7 year warranty. It lasted about 7 months and had to be replaced, under warranty this spring. The new one has been fine so far.

I still have original battery mine was born with! It's never been out of car, 15 years and counting.
I have a battery tender connected 24/7 365 days a year unless i'm driving it.
With 5 summer only cars I've found it to be the only way to keep batteries ready to drive.
Also have tenders on my quad and side by side for the same reason.

I still have original battery mine was born with! It's never been out of car, 15 years and counting.
I have a battery tender connected 24/7 365 days a year unless i'm driving it.
With 5 summer only cars I've found it to be the only way to keep batteries ready to drive.
Also have tenders on my quad and side by side for the same reason.
This is good to know. I can easily have my C-Tek maintainers hooked up all the time as the electrical outlets in the garage are close to the vehicles. Thanks.

For my previous winter stored cars, I have used the Battery Tender Plus without issue
1634816885300.png

Curious as to what happens to oil life monitor/ transmission fluid monitors etc when you disconnect negative battery terminal for 6 months?

I wouldn`t recommend leaving the vehicle plugged into the AC mains even to charge the battery. Disconnect and remove the battery when recharging for safety reasons. There are line surges and other unpredictable things that can happen that could cause an explosion or fire.

There is no need for a memory saver device of any kind when storing the vehicle long term. Just disconnect the negative (or both) battery cables. Everything critical to the car is stored in non-volatile memory. Everything else is quickly relearned or easily reprogrammable.

Over the winter, it`s wise to recharge the battery once or twice in an above zero setting such as a basement to prevent the possibility internal damage caused by excessive discharge.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.