Jeff

Casual User
Apr 30, 2016
Sault ste Marie
VetteCoins
Car
None just want one
Hey guys. I just found out about this Gear lock out business. Something about forcing you to shift to 4th if you don't accelerate hard enough out of 1st. Is this correct? What gives. If so, how do you feel about it, and can this be fixed if you do not like it.

It can be (and was) fixed, but I have a C6. Can't imagine it being different on a C7 to do--this was something that came automatically in my C6. The higher the RPM I was shifting on, the greater chance that this system WOULD NOT ENGAGE).

This is merely meant to save gas when driving in slower conditions, but I hated it. I never bought my vette to be fuel efficient. I like shifting, and had a dealership tune this out when I got my first oil change. Suspect it's an easy change to make.

Hi Jeff. Yes. It's an eco device which plays a part in the Corvette not being saddled with the US gas guzzler tax. That being said, it's not quite as controlling as it sounds. My C6 had this feature and the fellow I had bought it from had purchased the little electrical in-line dew-dad (that's not the GM part name) that overrides it but had never installed it. I never installed it either. For the almost three years I drove the car, it never forced me to shift from first to fourth once. I thought it didn't work so forced myself one day to drive like my late grandmother.... 5 kph in first...then a 30 second slooooowwwww shift towards second gear.... and yup... it guided me right into fourth.... Now I'm not a super aggressive driver either so I'm not really sure what the big deal about it is.... And yes.... If by chance this does bother you, it's a cheap fix.......Better yet, If you buy a C6 that's compatible with my 2009 LS3, I will send you mine... I forgot to include it when I sold my C6 and still have it in my file cabinet......

Just look up "skip shift eliminator" and you will find lots of options. DaSilva Motorsport programmed the feature out of my car, I believe through the internal electronics, it was a pain in the a$$ if you were in traffic. I know the reason it was there but it made driving a bit of a chore. Never found the 1st to 4th a very smooth shift. There are kits available as Eric has mentioned so there are a number of ways to overcome this feature.

When the skip shift was modified DaSilva also changed the way my headlights work, I have to manually turn them on now but if you store the car in the garage the lights will come up and on every time you start it up. The mechanism that operates the lights is not the most robust so it made sense to change that. Not a problem of course with the C6. Also there is a problem with C5 cars with the steering column locking system. This too can be overcome but it has caused lots of problems on these generations of cars. It was a GM recall but I do not know if the C6 had similar issues.

I can tell you no matter what generation of Corvette you have a battery tender is your best friend. These cars are hard on batteries even at rest. Low voltage has been known to cause a lot of damage and problems with these cars. I have a Battery Tender and keep it attached whenever the car is not in use.

I used to know exactly when the skip shift would engage. I believe it was if you were under 21% throttle and less than 2500 rpm???
Mine had the skip shift eliminator kit put in but the light would turn on. I actually liked when the light was on because if I wanted to, I could go right to 4th. But since then the engine has had a tune done and they shut the light off so now I have no choice but to always go full throttle from 1st to 2nd. :D

Hey guys. I just found out about this Gear lock out business. Something about forcing you to shift to 4th if you don't accelerate hard enough out of 1st. Is this correct? What gives. If so, how do you feel about it, and can this be fixed if you do not like it.

You can purchase a gags skip shift for about $25. Look it up over the internet, lots of info. on this. It will eliminate the 1 -4 when accelerating at slower speeds, or..... dial in sport mode and you won't get the 1 - 4 lock. It works when the car is in eco or tour mode. I don't mind it. I can shift to 3rd instead of 4th.

Not much was done for my tune. I had Russ Kemp in Regina go through the computer and revise some of the maps. I'm sure there's more left in it as it was a light tune but I'll worry about it once I actually get some mods done.
However, if I were looking to get some serious mods and tuning done, Manny at Dasilva Motorsport is a genius with Corvettes (and many other makes of high performance cars).

I find the C7's skip feature isn't as intrusive as the C6's but I normally just skip to 3rd when it does become active.

Hey Riley,

Did you ever ask Russ if he had a Tech 2 Tool? I still have my Z06 shocks looking to be installed whenever. This has proven to be an issue in Edmonton because the techs argue with me about being able to do the job. Even in Calgary at a custom motor sports place were they not able to accommodate the switch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.