Vette1993

Casual User
Jun 30, 2018
Best answers
Car
1986 Corvette
Reactions
24 0 0
Anyone have any tips on what products or techniques can be used to clean up all the cast aluminum intake parts, sort of leach out all the soot and grime without damaging anything?

chevykid

Oct 27, 2017
Ephrata, PA, USA
Best answers
Car
1995 Corvette Z07
Reactions
3 0 0
I would also be interested to learn how to bring back the alloy parts under the hood back to their original luster. My '95 C4 is rather spotless otherwise, inside and out, except for the parts that are some sort of alloy in the engine bay. I have tried several products, and even a gentle rub with 00 Steel Wool, with no result. Most suggestions I have seen that really work (YouTube) require cleaning the parts off the engine, which is not an option for me.
Hopefully over the next few days, someone will come up with workable suggestions.

Black 03 Z06

Staff member
Power User
Top Poster Of Month
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
Best answers
Car
2003 Z06
Reactions
4,232 11 0
Heard this stuff works very well. Pay attention to the instructions and wear safety equipment.

Eagle One Etching Mag Cleaner

L83

Casual User
Sep 12, 2018
Best answers
Car
1984 L83 Coupe
Reactions
29 0 0
I would also be interested to learn how to bring back the alloy parts under the hood back to their original luster. My '95 C4 is rather spotless otherwise, inside and out, except for the parts that are some sort of alloy in the engine bay. I have tried several products, and even a gentle rub with 00 Steel Wool, with no result. Most suggestions I have seen that really work (YouTube) require cleaning the parts off the engine, which is not an option for me.
Hopefully over the next few days, someone will come up with workable suggestions.
Barkeeper's Friend - great at cleaning and polishing metals and non etching so it doesn't eat away at the surface.

OP
OP
Vette1993

Vette1993

Casual User
Jun 30, 2018
Best answers
Car
1986 Corvette
Reactions
24 0 0
Used to use a product from ZEP, when I had my detail shop. Very aggressive, made sure to hose it off immediately, but it cleaned everything immediately, even made anodized finishes look new. Basically acid based, I used it on cars that were second hand going to used car lots. Really brought in extra bucks when a car looks that presentable under the hood. Afraid to use it on my Vette, especially around fiberglass.

Sep 25, 2012
Dorchester Ontario
Best answers
Car
1990 ZR-1
Reactions
74 0 0
I have heard that Barkeeper's Friend is a good product for cleaning and polishing metal. My engine bay is good so I personally never used the product to see what the results would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)