Zora

Corvettes & Road Trips: Priceless
Regular
Sep 23, 2018
U.S. Pacific Northwest
VetteCoins
First a thanks to Rick Conti who uncovered some major news of a massive change in 2020 order codes. While one might first say it is just one digit, the digit that is changed is the third one, and the first one relates to being manufactured in the U.S., second one the GM Corvette platform so at initial glance this appears to be a complete model change. Is this an extended C7 for one more year, a refreshed one as first suggested at the link, and if so, would that be for the reason that the C8 has seemingly, because of further production evaluation during its PPV (Pre-Production Validation phase), come to a halt or a detour, or a roundabout due to the electrical system, or ??? In any case, if as it appear the C8 is delayed a while to insure when it is released that it is truly top quality, what will GM do for the 2020 model year as more than just a “placeholder,” or the recently typical two color replacements.

Today we have, again thanks Rick Conti, some specific information which suggest something big is happening at some point. He says it is for the 2020 Stingray coupe and for the convertible.

So here it is in summary, with the link having much more information (and yes, more supposition).

2020 Stingray Model Coupe Code = 1YC07

2020 Stingray Model Convertible Code = 1YC67

C7’s End & C8’s Beginnings: What Could Be GM’s Game Plan To Deal With Both Changes? - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

Reactions: ddgermann
First a thanks to Rick Conti who uncovered some major news of a massive change in 2020 order codes. While one might first say it is just one digit, the digit that is changed is the third one, and the first one relates to being manufactured in the U.S., second one the GM Corvette platform so at initial glance this appears to be a complete model change. Is this an extended C7 for one more year, a refreshed one as first suggested at the link, and if so, would that be for the reason that the C8 has seemingly, because of further production evaluation during its PPV (Pre-Production Validation phase), come to a halt or a detour, or a roundabout due to the electrical system, or ??? In any case, if as it appear the C8 is delayed a while to insure when it is released that it is truly top quality, what will GM do for the 2020 model year as more than just a “placeholder,” or the recently typical two color replacements.

Today we have, again thanks Rick Conti, some specific information which suggest something big is happening at some point. He says it is for the 2020 Stingray coupe and for the convertible.

So here it is in summary, with the link having much more information (and yes, more supposition).

2020 Stingray Model Coupe Code = 1YC07

2020 Stingray Model Convertible Code = 1YC67

C7’s End & C8’s Beginnings: What Could Be GM’s Game Plan To Deal With Both Changes? - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

Yes I watched Kooky Conti this morning. Nice guy who's attitude I appreciate, but wow his vlogs are brutal to watch sometimes as he is all over the place and rarely just gets to the point. I'm still hoping for one more year of the C7. Not holding my breath though...
:sleepingbig:

Reactions: ccltj
No credit nor blame in my case as my wish for another year of the C7 is to selfishly take a final kick at one specific C7 model and then I’m good and don’t have acquiring interest with what comes off assembly for quite a few years. I’m not holding my breath though too as the hold-out in knowing about the demise of C7 (and not relating it to the birth of the C8) is wearing thin on my serious interest as I still have a sales desk to arm wrestle my trade(s) with too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
Could well be happening for reasons we all know. So if anyone is pissed that the C8 is delayed to insure you get your wish of one more year for the C7, are you taking the credit or the blame?

Don't really plan on taking either... why would I?
I'm after a C7 ZR1 and another year of production increases my odds of getting one. What really pisses me off is the fact that you can still factory order one in the US but here in Canada, we are bent over everytime a new version of the Corvette arrives.

Reactions: ccltj and YFCvii
I agree; that to me would be another strong postive about even a six month 2020 C7 year, making and filling out existing pre-orders for ZR1’s — and shipping a bunch to Canada. I have monitored the amount of allocation going to Canada since the C7 started, and Canada has been repeatedly shortchanged.

Everyone, I was just joking about credit or blame... I will not be joking any more.

I agree; that to me would be another strong postive about even a six month 2020 C7 year, making and filling out existing pre-orders for ZR1’s — and shipping a bunch to Canada. I have monitored the amount of allocation going to Canada since the C7 started, and Canada has been repeatedly shortchanged.

Everyone, I was just joking about credit or blame... I will not be joking any more.

It's all good Zora. I wasn't upset. After re-reading my reply I can see it came off far too tersely.

Please keep joking and feeding us your insights.

I enjoy your posts a great deal :thumbs:

... I have monitored the amount of allocation going to Canada since the C7 started, and Canada has been repeatedly shortchanged ...
What do we have to do up here to get a fair shake on allocation (ZR1) as we can already walk on water ... 😂
EBBCF3F1-380B-4C6F-AD39-1F8614801D13.jpeg

Last edited:
Jagamajajaran came up with another interpretation about the new Stingray codes, that if the 2020 model year were split, and if C7 production were to continue the first part of the model year, then replaced by the new 2020 ME, and if the name for the entry mid engine were again to be a called a Stingray just like the entry C7 was/is, then the two new Stingray codes Rick Conti learned about makes sense.

Interesting to think about the entry mid engine again being called a Stingray. What do you think about that possibility?

Jagamajajaran came up with another interpretation about the new Stingray codes, that if the 2020 model year were split, and if C7 production were to continue the first part of the model year, then replaced by the new 2020 ME, and if the name for the entry mid engine were again to be a called a Stingray just like the entry C7 was/is, then the two new Stingray codes Rick Conti learned about makes sense.

Interesting to think about the entry mid engine again being called a Stingray. What do you think about that possibility?

I personally can't imagine GM marketing branding a totally new product with the same name. Aside from product dilution it's a lost opportunity to miss on all the momentum and buzz a new product will generate. Unless they think they can pull an Apple with late 2019 model stingray vs 2018 Stingray. But it's not the same market segment so that will be a struggle.

I'm still hoping for one more year of the C7. Not holding my breath though...
:sleepingbig:

So I ordered a new Corvette this past October with a suspected delivery in April. Will my model year be a 2019?

The reason I ask this is because another member stated his car ordered in the fall of 2016 resulted in receiving a 2018 model year Corvette the following spring. I brushed that off as a typo as I didn't think he would receive a 2018 in the spring of 2017, but now with all the talk in this post of 2020 and discontinuing the C-7 has raised my anxiety ha ha.

You guys are actually talking about things potentially going to happen a year and a half from now, right?

Cobra

Reactions: ccltj
Yes. You will be fine with your 2019 April C7 delivery. And yes, we are talking about the future. The reveal of the C8 might occur in April, if not in the next few months thereafter, with, IMO the C8 start of manufacture around the first of next year.

As however the C8 still in the testing and development phase, not yet done, not even finished with the PPV (Pre-Production Validation) typical 9 month long process, no dates for the C8 are yet known outside of GM (perhaps not definitively decided within GM yet).

Last edited:
Yes. You will be fine with your 2019 April C7 delivery. And yes, we are talking about the future. The reveal of the C8 might occur in April, if not in the next few months thereafter, with, IMO the C8 start of manufacture around the first of next year.

As however the C8 still in the testing and development phase, not yet done, not even finished with the PPV (Pre-Production Validation) typical 9 month long process, no dates for the C8 are yet known outside of GM (perhaps not definitively decided within GM yet).

Thanks for the quick reply and reassuring response.

Cobra. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.