Aug 25, 2019
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
2015 2LT Z51
Province
AB
Hi all. I have a service appointment for my car on Wednesday, as the check engine light came on, but while it is in for service, I was wondering if I should get the service that they recommended when I was in for an oil change 2 months ago. They said “brake fluid due every 5 years, and clutch fluid is discolored, requiring service”. Is this just the typical dealership upswell, or should I take heed of this information and get the work done?
My car is a 2015 Ray and has under 22K on the odometer.
Thanks.

If you track your car then the cluth fluid should be changed every year. Otherwise every two years. A lot less expensive than the master cylindre. Pretty simple procedure.
A brake fluid change is a bit more complicated as, if done properly, they will drain right down to the brake calipers which is a lot easier when on a lift. Trouble with brake fluid is that it absorbs humidity. Again, as Hnekz says - peace of mind

Hi all. I have a service appointment for my car on Wednesday, as the check engine light came on, but while it is in for service, I was wondering if I should get the service that they recommended when I was in for an oil change 2 months ago. They said “brake fluid due every 5 years, and clutch fluid is discolored, requiring service”. Is this just the typical dealership upswell, or should I take heed of this information and get the work done?
My car is a 2015 Ray and has under 22K on the odometer.
Thanks.
Maintain your Vette if you want to have trouble-free motoring. Changing fluids is the most important routine maintenance an owner can do...do it! Cheers!

Maintain your Vette if you want to have trouble-free motoring. Changing fluids is the most important routine maintenance an owner can do...do it! Cheers!
It's probably a waste flushing brake fluid every year but you can.t imagen how dark that fluid is even for a season. Plus it's not advisable to store brake fluid once the seal is broken. Just me guys. Stay safe. Cheers

I am coming up on 5 years with my 2016 at the end of the month with 25k on the odometer.
I am now with renewed Coolant, DOT3 Brake fluid, Rear Diff fluid and "Red Cherry" (new inside joke) A8 Mobil 1 Transmission fluid.
Although trans pan gasket can be reused, we replaced with a new gasket & did the filter too - as we had the pan off.
All performed over 2 Sundays with a known very knowledgeable and tool-equipped Corvette Comrade in Edmonton.
An awesome friend and this was absolutely great non-driving Corvette "fun".
I drive away a little lighter in the back pocket and seeing & knowing everything that was removed, was reinstalled and torqued to specification.
Much better overall experience than worrying about who is doing it at a dealership ... (perhaps just me when thinking this).
We actually found a few misc things that needed to be remedied while it was noticed - I was surprised by what was found.

Although I never had the C7-A8 shudder issue ... I do notice the A8 shifting difference now that I have just over 6 liters of Mobil 1 trans fluid added in it ... sweet.

I also experienced a no-start event between the 2 Sundays with just "click-click-click" and the driver door not being able to close because the window was fully up.
I plugged in my Schumacher Maintainer and it displayed "charging 6V" across the screen ... so New Battery replacement.
I was surprised how quick that battery died after driving the previous day.
Wow ... whatta chore to remove the battery but knuckles heal.

I am now good to go on a day cruise with the '21RMCC in a few weeks.
Looks like I have a "to-do" list to be on top of for the upcoming 5th year of our "not his" 2017-C7.

a few pics …. for those who just like to look at photos (sorry no damaged knuckles photo)

46E3B247-089B-4268-9910-FECB5E037BE1.jpeg
C520B1CD-0DAF-4F49-AE9E-3019FE05E622.jpeg
07BF8658-4759-42C6-9E06-9362F7C7B4C8.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread