Mar 29, 2014
Vero Beach, FL (was Brampton ON)
VetteCoins
Car
2014 Z51 M7 Coupe
I'd like to get the collective wisdom of my fellow forum members.

I'm wanting to take my car out for a few track days this fall and would like input on being prepared. Car only has 2200 km on it so far.

First question is when to do the first oil change. Do I wait for the first change (12k seems a far way away) or do it say at 2500 km, prior to any tracking?

I think my first tracking would be at Cayuga for a Wed evening of 5-dusk, so not a long day.

Do I need a helmet, it's unclear on some of the tracks sites? No problem picking up a Snell 2010 helmet.

Do I really need to use the cooling rings?

Besides, oil, tools (wrenches, etc), water and some food in a tote of some sort, what else should I take with me?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

best tip i can give is if you are doing a few track days to flush the brake fluid with 600 degree racing brake fluid.

I hardly buy new cars but like the idea of changing oil at 500 or 1000 km. Not heard anything bad.

Helmet ya.

Remove your license plate if people are snapping pictures or videoing.

lawn chair

Brian

best tip i can give is if you are doing a few track days to flush the brake fluid with 600 degree racing brake fluid.

I hardly buy new cars but like the idea of changing oil at 500 or 1000 km. Not heard anything bad.

Helmet ya.

Remove your license plate if people are snapping pictures or videoing.

lawn chair

Brian

Yes, the license plate I had already planned on removing, didn't think of the lawn chair!

I've never flushed the brake fluid before, willing to learn. Do I do this once or do I need to remove after track and put back to normal for daily driving?

Yes, the license plate I had already planned on removing, didn't think of the lawn chair!

I've never flushed the brake fluid before, willing to learn. Do I do this once or do I need to remove after track and put back to normal for daily driving?

You can keep it in. I have it in my ZR1

Some track day groups want it flushed every year before they allow you to run. buy it at a performance shop and get the GM dealership to change it. I had West Coast Corvette in LA do mine.

Most times brake fluid boils probably faster then pads fade - you will feel a weird feeling in the brakes....... I never did my Z06 and felt it.

sunscreen and bug spray too... if you have bugs in Ont

Only have ever done a layover in Toronto... never been there.

Yes, put high temp brake fluid in.
Castrol SRF is highest temp, but also most $$$
I use Motul 600... next highest temp, and better $$$.

I presume this is your first time out (since you are asking these questions),
Yes, you need a helmet.
I wouldn't concern myself with changing the oil... I don't expect you will be
pushing the car to extremes this time.

Don't worry about heel/toe braking/accelerating... if this is your first time out,
learn the track, learn your car, learn your body responses and reflexes.
Breathe !!!!

Keep hydrated.... this way your body will stay alert.
Entering/apexing/exiting corners is the trickiest part of road racing.
Anyone can go fast in a straight line.
So learn the correct lines of the course.

Do you have Mag Ride control ? (FE4)
If so, I would leave all the "nannies" on for the first session.
Let the car keep you out of trouble.
Learning what the car can do, and how it reacts/responds to inputs is a
long process... especially for a new car.

Do you have instructors to go with you ?
Their input is invaluable.

Yes, put high temp brake fluid in.
Castrol SRF is highest temp, but also most $$$
I use Motul 600... next highest temp, and better $$$.
Who do you buy the Motul from? All online sellers seem to be in the US, and everyone in GTA seem to be either dealers or racing shops.

I presume this is your first time out (since you are asking these questions),
Yes, you need a helmet.
I wouldn't concern myself with changing the oil... I don't expect you will be
pushing the car to extremes this time.

Don't worry about heel/toe braking/accelerating... if this is your first time out,
learn the track, learn your car, learn your body responses and reflexes.
Breathe !!!!
I used to rally ( about 40 years ago, ugh ), so yes I heel/toe, just a bit rusty since my BMW pedals are really awkward for it. So far I'm not as accurate as the rev match, but working on it.

Keep hydrated.... this way your body will stay alert.
Entering/apexing/exiting corners is the trickiest part of road racing.
Anyone can go fast in a straight line.
So learn the correct lines of the course.
This is exactly what I want to work on, finding the line, the right braking point and pressure to smoothly carry the speed. Right now I'm looking at a few track days to prep myself for going to Ron Fellows.

Do you have Mag Ride control ? (FE4)
If so, I would leave all the "nannies" on for the first session.
Let the car keep you out of trouble.
No Mag Ride.

Planned on starting in sport mode until I feel comfortable with the track, then progressively move to Track mode, etc....

Learning what the car can do, and how it reacts/responds to inputs is a
long process... especially for a new car.

Agreed, this is all about learning the car, it's and my own limits.

Do you have instructors to go with you ?
Their input is invaluable.
Not initially, but maybe on a future date.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Will probably post some videos.

smackYYZ said:
Who do you buy the Motul from? All online sellers seem to be in the US, and everyone in GTA seem to be either dealers or racing shops.

I get mine from a local racing shop (or 2) out here. Mostly "ricer" shops in Richmond.
I don't know of anyone who sells it onlline in Canada.

So... most important.... HAVE FUN !!!!

I guess I stand behind my information that it's an imperative to change out the oil for recommended track driving to 15W50. Don't know all the facts and perhaps never will with this case but I'd take heed with what the manual says and have some documentation to prove compliance. Might have already did your track day but for future events I'd change it. Mine will never see any tracks or competition hence the non Z51 for me so I'll stick with a synthetic Dexos 5W30.

Basically GM is refusing warranty for a blown engine on a track due to not properly preparing the car for an off road event. Take it for what it is, may be more to this story. Who knows.

Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray - Corvette Forum

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.