Sep 25, 2012
Dorchester Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1990 ZR-1
I need to change the clutch in the ZR-1, which I am sure you guys know has a Dual Mass Flywheel. I was debating if I wanted to put in an aluminum flywheel to increase the h/p but decided the extra h/p wasn't worth the cost. Since I was replacing the clutch I inquired if the Flywheel should be Machined, some shops said they don't do them while some said they do for $125.00. I believe I read once Dual Mass Flywheels Should NOT Be Machined as they would go out of balance. Any info in regards to this would be appreciated. Thank you:driving:

I have been through the clutch and fly wheel story, it goes like this:

The DMF cannot be machined.

If you go Single MF, you will get significant noise in your transmission and
If you get any unwanted vibration, you might take out the bearings, not good.

Having said that, I have recently read that the DMF are difficult to find.

I'd suggest stay stock if you can. If you can't then do some real homework on a replacement and make sure you get a good mechanic. You may want to consider replacing the slave and master clutch cylinders at the same time.

Reactions: Cruzin
Thank you Dave for the info, it sounds right to me. I agree with DMF being quieter and hard to find . Found one from a gentleman in Oklahoma, stated very little mileage on in and want $1,500 US, sounds like a lot and don't know how many miles will be on it?

I'm not the brightest 40 watt bulb when it comes to the newer stuff , but I would stick to the original if possible. My knowledge of a aluminum flywheel in old school is that it would let the engine rev up quicker which was good for roundy round track racing. But with the light flywheel the engine didn't have the " weighted momentum " spinning giving it less holding the rpm like a heavier flywheel has. For highway driving I would want the heavier flywheel . Like how much more does a guy need ? these cars go like crazy, my 200 horses in my 82 is scarey enough for me plus I don't like std's anyway.....too much trouble to maintain.

...I know this is a old thread...

Last edited:
Thank you Dave for the info, it sounds right to me. I agree with DMF being quieter and hard to find . Found one from a gentleman in Oklahoma, stated very little mileage on in and want $1,500 US, sounds like a lot and don't know how many miles will be on it?
When I did mine the DMF was about $1900 and all in I paid about $4500, its a big job. I noticed recently, I think it was the Mid America web site, they had listed a replacement /substitute flywheel and clutch. It was not dual mass but, apparently, has been designed to avoid the concerns of single mass and it was a more reasonable cost. You might want to check it out.

I have heard that the lighter flywheel is also louder. Not sure why that is.

I'm not the brightest 40 watt bulb when it comes to the newer stuff , but I would stick to the original if possible. My knowledge of a aluminum flywheel in old school is that it would let the engine rev up quicker which was good for roundy round track racing. But with the light flywheel the engine didn't have the " weighted momentum " spinning giving it less holding the rpm like a heavier flywheel has. For highway driving I would want the heavier flywheel . Like how much more does a guy need ? these cars go like crazy, my 200 horses in my 82 is scarey enough for me plus I don't like std's anyway.....too much trouble to maintain.

...I know this is a old thread...

The noise in the ZF-6 transmission your hearing is at idle only when using a single mass flywheel or a seized dual mass, it’s caused by the clearance between the meshing gears chattering. The reason you only hear it at idle is because when the engine is idling it’s creating a slight pulse. The dual mass flywheel has a dampening affect like a shock absorber to quiet down the gear chatter. Will not affect or damage the transmission in any way just annoying when idle with clutch out in neutral. When clutch is pressed no noise.

• Useful
Reactions: hemicat
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.