427Carl

Regular
2 You're 10
Jul 21, 2012
Clinton Ontario Canada
VetteCoins
Car
I thought this was interesting (I have not used it)

Lucas Oil Hot Rod and Classic Car motor oil is manufactured with the highest quality paraffinic base oils. It's fortified with a unique additive package containing high levels of zinc, molybdenum, and phosphorus, which provide a tougher, thicker additive film for maximum protection, even under the most severe conditions. It improves film strength between the cylinder wall and piston rings, slows oil burning, and improves pressure in worn engines. Lucas Oil Hot Rod and Classic Car motor oil has good cold-temperature properties, stands up to high operating temperatures, and is compatible with methanol and all racing fuels, as well as with synthetic and non-synthetic oils. The oil is designed for use in muscle, showroom, classic, and trophy cars without catalytic converters and can be used in racing applications.

It is not recommended for passenger car use.

Attachments

• LUC-10684-1.jpg
    LUC-10684-1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 9
With our L78 Chevelle I just ran name brand regular oils with a bottle of GM's EOS. I was told that the EOS added enough zinc to keep the cam safe. The car worked fine when we sold it and we put about 37K miles on it between 1997 and last fall. Perhaps I was fortunate. Who knows. The oil companies don't seem to offer a lot of advice on what we should be doing other than buying their $25 a quart SPECIAL oils. After living through 45 years of BS advertising, yes, I'm a little cynical until I see clear evidence that something is as good as is claimed. No doubt some of these oils are exceptional but I was reading comparisons lately and the most expensive weren't necessarily number one. Personally, I use Mobil 1 in everything. It's what GM recommends for our Corvette and I can get it in almost any automotive outlet around here. At my age, and with the number of miles we put on, I'm confident that our vehicles will outlast me. :)
Here is some comparison information. http://www.ehow.com/about_5525684_synthetic-oil.html

Last edited:
good comments.. :agree: we do spend a ton of money, on so called "state of the art additives and oil"... and most of the time, we are keeping the car good for the next guy..lol ......I do think that syn oil is good for newer Corvettes.... I was interested, to see Manny uses Penzoil.. He does get into engines and does dyno work.... He either knows something from experience, or has a sweet deal with Penzoil (just teasing) :rofl:

With any 'vette from 1987 on with the roller cam zinc is less of an issue. In the last couple of years the amount of zinc in motor oil has been greatly reduced to help the cats last longer. However, it has lead to many flat tappet cam failures. I for one am a bit more cautious now on what oil to use in my old 'vette.

We have an old '87 S-10 truck with the 2.8 engine. It won't die, isn't worth anything so it goes on dump runs and such. It passed its last emissions test in 2007 with excellent number. The truck has always been run on everyday name brand oils off the store shelf. It still runs fine and would probably still pass the emissions tests. Oil use is zip. I'm just wondering how long it takes for the zinc in the oils to get to the converter. Nearly all of our driving is highway so the converters are always up to temperature and perhaps that is the secret to a happy converter. Who knows. I just know that ours has run fine all these years on the cheap stuff. This fall, all our cars and the truck got treated to Mobil 1. Hopefully it isn't wasted money. Then again that wouldn't be a first for me. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread