BANNED
Ontario You're a Regular
Jul 24, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2012 f 150
Province
ON
Can GM catch a break? This launch of the C8 has and is a thorn in the overall scheme of things, and metal shavings found in the 6.2-litre LT2 engine is not a great advert for the chevy motor renown for its bulletproof reliability, has seized with only1800 miles of driving.
Long gone are the days when one had to brake in an engine on delivery and change the engine oil from break-in oil to regular engine oil at 500 miles.
Or should we adopt the same procedures from yesteryear being more responsible for our new vehicle purchase, irrespective what the manufacturer recommends?
This incident, as trivial as it is if it was any other GM automobile, would not have taken centre stage of the world media. Unfortunately, it has and has come at the worst time at the Tonawanda engine plant in NY. Not surprising that GM pounced all over this, and to find out the root cause, or is it that they are hiding something from an engineering aspect. Or, by chance an act of sabotage from a disgruntled employee or an overlooked procedure from the automotive oiling the crankcase and other vital metal parts, or oversight with the engine oil filling process leaving the motor starved of life-giving oil.
Either way, with only 5 miles produced by the factory was not enough time for the death blow of seizure.
Is this the proverbial tip of the iceberg, as GM is ramping up assembly numbers to meet the demand of the ever-hungry gearheads for their overdue corvettes. Or is there more to come as the quality gives way to production.

Iso

All new Corvettes are required to receive an oil change after the first 500 miles. This has been this way for years so I have no clue what you are on about.

It reads like... "is the sun going to nova one day?" or "Is everything done by every entity done perfectly every time?"

s**t happens...

All new Corvettes are required to receive an oil change after the first 500 miles. This has been this way for years so I have no clue what you are on about.

It reads like... "is the sun going to nova one day?" or "Is everything done by every entity done perfectly every time?"

s**t happens...
Then why did this one fall between the 500mile crack?

I made the mistake of reading the stupid rant, wondering WTF is this guy on about ? Then I get to the end - ISO. Crap if I had paid attention the author in the first place, I would have deleted right away. I used to work with a cool East Indian guy. He was always ignored because of his accent and heritage. So when he asked a question, and wasn't getting a response he would say "Question, waiting for answer." Murray asked "To what end do you post this nonsense?" So, question, waiting for answer.

1593701984380.png

Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley all cost $100,000 ++ and they've all had their issues. This post reads like a monologue from Shakespeare after his car broke down driving home from the dealership with a trunk full of ice cream on a hot summer day. Ooops, he realized his gas tank is empty.

Last edited:
Can GM catch a break? This launch of the C8 has and is a thorn in the overall scheme of things, and metal shavings found in the 6.2-litre LT2 engine is not a great advert for the chevy motor renown for its bulletproof reliability, has seized with only1800 miles of driving.
Long gone are the days when one had to brake in an engine on delivery and change the engine oil from break-in oil to regular engine oil at 500 miles.
Or should we adopt the same procedures from yesteryear being more responsible for our new vehicle purchase, irrespective what the manufacturer recommends?
This incident, as trivial as it is if it was any other GM automobile, would not have taken centre stage of the world media. Unfortunately, it has and has come at the worst time at the Tonawanda engine plant in NY. Not surprising that GM pounced all over this, and to find out the root cause, or is it that they are hiding something from an engineering aspect. Or, by chance an act of sabotage from a disgruntled employee or an overlooked procedure from the automotive oiling the crankcase and other vital metal parts, or oversight with the engine oil filling process leaving the motor starved of life-giving oil.
Either way, with only 5 miles produced by the factory was not enough time for the death blow of seizure.
Is this the proverbial tip of the iceberg, as GM is ramping up assembly numbers to meet the demand of the ever-hungry gearheads for their overdue corvettes. Or is there more to come as the quality gives way to production.

Iso
My C8 will get its oil changed at 500 miles 800km for sure as oil is cheap and motors and my time are not.

Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley all cost $100,000 ++ and they've all had their issues. This post reads like a monologue from Shakespeare after his car broke down driving home from the dealership with a trunk full of ice cream on a hot summer day. Ooops, he realized his gas tank is empty.
For what you are going to pay for the tune ups brake jobs and oil changes on a Ferrari l could put a new motor in my vette every 5 years and be way ahead .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread