Regular
You're 5
Nov 27, 2017
Surrey BC
VetteCoins
Car
1987 Corvette coupe,
Hey all.
Happy New Years to you all , and your families, I hope you all had a great holiday season!

I got a job 3 months ago, as a fleet mechanic at the city tow yard here in town.

We had a red C5 that got t-boned, come in today and may be a write off.

My question is this. I am pondering buying the drive train, engine, all way back to the rear end, and ecu of course, and dropping them in my 87- Z51. It being a Corvette LS/2 motor with badging, is it considered a resto-mod maybe? I dunno.

Im looking at 400 horsies at least. Up quite a bit from the near 300....260 prob more like it I have now,(estimated because of mods to engine Ive done from stock 245 hp for the L98).

I never DID get the car into the hospital in the summer as it's settled down after the throttling i gave it on the highway racing....ahem......i mean .....comparing paint jobs at higher speeds lets say lol.

Thoughts on value come to mind also, am I hurting the cars already lower value, seeing there are so many still? Compared to other series of Corvettes. IE C5, C6 and so on.

Certainly no expert on this but there are numerous articles and support available motor mounts, wire harness, fuel systems, tunes etc., dedicated to a LS swap but you mention a complete drive train swap. The C5 and newer vettes are rear trans-axle cars hence the big fat rear ends to accommodate rear mounted components. Actually this bloated look on C5 is why I continue to like my trim 93 so much. Can a complete drive train swap be done? Has anyone done it?

Certainly no expert on this but there are numerous articles and support available motor mounts, wire harness, fuel systems, tunes etc., dedicated to a LS swap but you mention a complete drive train swap. The C5 and newer vettes are rear trans-axle cars hence the big fat rear ends to accommodate rear mounted components. Actually this bloated look on C5 is why I continue to like my trim 93 so much. Can a complete drive train swap be done? Has anyone done it?
Hmmm, yes, I was wondering the same thing, ZR1 axles and have to switch out back body panel to a ZR1 maybe? I know they were wider in the ass end, prob because of the rear axle width, If not im ok with upgrading the pumpkin to handle the extra power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.