I purchased a '72 new with a 454ci / 270 hp and as far as driving was concerned, it was the most uninspiring Vette I had owned.

Interesting that you still like the C2 even though it is almost the same car under the body. Does it have more to do with the interior and feel of the car for you? Or was it he motor/tranny combo?

For me it is the look and nostalgia of the car. I always wanted one. Not that I didn't want a C2 but it was so far out of my price range it couldn't happen. I have had a number of people comment about how good the ride was in my car. Not that it was great but it surpassed their expectations. I hope my car is a perfect mix of C3, drivetrain, and modern comfort when completed!

T

Interesting that you still like the C2 even though it is almost the same car under the body. Does it have more to do with the interior and feel of the car for you? Or was it he motor/tranny combo?

For me it is the look and nostalgia of the car. I always wanted one. Not that I didn't want a C2 but it was so far out of my price range it couldn't happen. I have had a number of people comment about how good the ride was in my car. Not that it was great but it surpassed their expectations. I hope my car is a perfect mix of C3, drivetrain, and modern comfort when completed!

T

My love affair with the C2 has to do with style for sure, plus I was at an age where me and my friends did a lot of back yard mechanical stuff - these were very enjoyable days of my life. Both my C2's were 327's one with hydraulic lifters and one with solids - both were convertibles. And any C2 was such an easy car to work on and modify. For my '72, I probably would have enjoyed this car much more with a 350 4 speed instead of the 454 auto. I am sure that has something to do with my feeling for that car. I went back to a manual tranny in my C5 and loved that car. This time however my C7 on order is an automatic - I just figured at my age, I intend to keep this car for awhile and I didn't want to be hampered at some future point by having difficulty with a clutch. Have fun with your C3.

Most here know more than I do. At the very least, have a pro have a look. Being limited in my ability to restore, I have always purchased vehicles done (or nearly) as I find this way is much less money. My '73, which was painted 13 years ago, & still gathers a crowd, cost 14K just for paint. I recognize that I miss out on the restoration experience, but I don't mind.
Best of luck!

Hi,

I have come across an ad for a 1972 Corvette. It is the year range we wanted with the metal bumpers and flat rear window - we thought at best we could find one with a flat window. The issue is it looks like it has been sitting in a garage for a while and is advertised as being "all there" but needs some "elbow grease". I am waiting to hear back about a few questions I had for him - engine type, mileage, is it running, what kind of elbow grease, etc. I am capable and willing to do the work my concern is that I have heard this too many times where cars are advertised as "all there" only to find out that meant mostly there, except for those hard to find and very expensive parts, lol. He is asking $9000 CAD. The car has been for sale for quite some time and I think was at one point asking over $10,000.

If I can confirm that it for the most part "all there" and even better yet in running condition, do you guys think the price is fair around the $8000-9000 CAD mark? I know it will at the very least need a paint job. A rough quote I had done on my Mustang at a local shop that uses Sikkens paint was around $8000 and I would assume a Corvette's body work would be a little more expensive so maybe around $10,000 for paint depending on what is required? I don't know, it is a really nice car and exactly what we wanted in terms of features, I just wonder what your thoughts are on the situation and pricing.

Thanks!
I will tell you Mr. c3 this car has everything available in the aftermarket catalogs. Not a big deal if it is all there or not. If this is an INVESTMENT car for you, look for these things. Numbers matching block and drive train, Numbers match interior and options. After that, does it run and drive? All accessories work? Then negociate. At 8k to 10 k, sounds like some serious issues to me. This car in driver condition, will bring 25 k at auction all day. 1972 was a big change year for the horsepower. Dropped dramatically due to government pressure and insurance companies. That's why I bought my 1970 back this May. I have the big block, which adds 10 to 15 k to the value. It will be the same for your car. Good luck my friend!

Hi. I'm not sure what the attraction is with C3 series of Vette's. I purchased a '72 new with a 454ci / 270 hp and as far as driving was concerned, it was the most uninspiring Vette I had owned. For my $$, I would rather a used low-mileage C5 which was so much more enjoyable to drive. Just my 2 cents. But there seems to be some attraction to these '72's - not sure why - must be more than metal bumpers. Maybe you can educate me on the attraction to this car. Thanks. Bo
Bo my friend, I am so glad I read you post. I just bought a 1970 454 coupe in May. For me it is the driving experience. You drove a '72. The horsepower was throttled down. My car WAS 390hp, 500 ft lb torque. before it was bored out 042. Now i'm not sure, but i may be pushing 500 hp, and you can break the back end loose at ANY SPEED! Looking out over the hood at the massive front fender flares and the functional scoops, it is quite the hoot my friend. Visibility is dramatically reduced due to the low seat position, further enhancing the driving experience. I have aftermarket hooker headers feeding sidepipes that scream. No muffler. Who needs that crap anyway? HA!. I suggest finding a big block, PRE- 1971, and check that driving experience. If we are ever in the same neck of the woods, i will let you take my car out for a spin and see for yourself. Good luck!

Personally I love the look of both the C2 and the C3... face it... Iike the look of Corvettes period. I have driven C3'sbefore and while certainly not the experienceof driving a C6 or C7, it still puts a smile on my face. And of course there are ways to dress up the C3 a bit if you want to turn a few extra heads.....

a5d69f5f1d8059900c3ee13d222f2769.jpg
Nah. Nobody’s going to look at that. I think that’s safe being left outside overnight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.