There is 4 pounds of metal on this car and I get this...

20210301_125723.jpg

Hell will be paid....

Ouch.....Do you guys use that salted pickle juice on the icy roads down there? Might have something to do with that Zeus Bronze coating you had a while back... Let us know if GM covers it for you.... They should

This is explanation as to why you are seeing this:

As you can clearly see, only that tip is showing rust. The other is not. There is a reason for that.

The reason is that stainless steel parts are polished with regular iron-bearing materials.
Those can get embedded in the stainless steel, if there are depressions in the SS.
To the eye of an inexperienced polisher, are indistinguishable from SS.
Then once the SS part is exposed to corrosive materials like water or brine, the iron rusts and the SS part becomes pitted due to the iron dissolving.
That is why you are seeing iron staining (ie. rust).

You see the same with SS BBQ tools and other items. Very common.

The tip will not rust any further. All the surface iron is likely gone. So you have a choice. Clean it up and monitor. Use very fine sandpaper if you have to. Or get it replaced. Not sure if they are welded on or clamped on. If welded, I suggest just cleaning it up, and leave it alone if you want to keep stock tips. Your call.

Why is the other one so clean, and the other looks like a coal chute? Clean this mess + rust, and then you can see exactly what you are dealing with. Mothers chrome polish from Can Tire works wonders on these tips.

Cash settlement? Never heard of it on a warranty car. Maybe you are thinking house insurance, LOL?

Can't link other corvette forums, but here is a quote:

Confession: I had this done. My detailer did the work. Said it was several hours of polishing, then four layers of ceramic coating. They're finishing the PPF and body ceramic coating now, and I hope to get the car back this week weather permitting. He guarantees these will look like this for years with his care instructions. I certainly hope so. You should see how well he polished the black piano finish on the seat backs.

Reactions: JVi

Confession: I had this done. My detailer did the work. Said it was several hours of polishing, then four layers of ceramic coating. They're finishing the PPF and body ceramic coating now, and I hope to get the car back this week weather permitting. He guarantees these will look like this for years with his care instructions. I certainly hope so. You should see how well he polished the black piano finish on the seat backs.
Thanks Murray for mentioning the links to other Corvette Forums. Just an FYI if everyone hasn't already read them, here is a link to the forum rules that will both enlighten you and save you from wondering why things sometimes disappear from your posts. Thanks

Reactions: Black 03 Z06

So; I have ceramic coating ready to go and will do as that fellow did, clean the tips well and coat them with 4 layers.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Wow ... sure will be watching for (and asking info about) a change (or option) to the exhaust tips
when future C8 (models & options) roll out from a Dealership. This would honestly be one of the things that
influences the satisfaction-dial as the MSRP increases on these late-model Corvettes.

On a business point-of-view ... if I owned a C-gen accessory outlet ... this would be a C8 item
to remedy options for and then take advantage of many who are in the O.C.D. "Money Pit".

💰💸💰💸💰💸💰💸💰💸💰💸💰

Hoping and waiting the hear from those who can do the ceramic coating fix and that it takes care of business.
For those who can ... please take photos and add the details for our reference on CCF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
There is 4 pounds of metal on this car and I get this...

View attachment 78545
Hell will be paid....
Why would you drive your corvette in the winter, on Hamilton roads. First worst city for pot holes, city uses brine on streets, along with salt and sand. Note: brine is a mixture of salt and water that’s it. Liquid salt splashing on your car going where any pitting happens from road grit. Talk to Julian at NTD on Nebo road. He has done 3 coats of ceramic on our vette, also he did our daily driver 1 coat 2 winters now and no issues. Don’t forget rims too.

Last edited:
Corrosion is only active above freezing and accelerates as the temperature rises.
The reason he is seeing rust on the tips in winter is because of the heat of the exhaust.
Any properly maintained car will see very little rust. I sold a 2000 Camaro last fall that I drove for 12 years in the winter as my daily driver. It showed very little rust and it was mostly metal.
Why should you save a car for the next guy. It's your car to enjoy how you wish.

Reactions: PapaSmurf and Thom
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.