Featured Thread
I will try to make this as short as possible. Landed a good paying job in a poor town where that wasn't any easy thing to do right after I graduated.Drove to Scarborough,Ont. from Cape Breton with an old friend who sadly is no longer here in the early 80"s after acquiring a $10,000 loan from a bank at 21 % interest ( yes, you read it correctly 21% !!). I was so happy that someone would actually loan me 10k that I would have given them 31% if needed,lol. It was basically all the money that I had other than a little (and I mean little) for travel expenses. All I knew was that I was gonna buy me a corvette . You can probably tell by now how much of a big deal this was for me ! Especially coming from a poor family of 7 who's parents could never ever afford a car, any car. Anyway, off we go, 10k and a dream. The reason why I chose Scarborough was because it was the big city where my brother was after moving to years ago and he told me of a used sport car dealership that would have everything that I was hoping to see. Man, was I pumped !! So we get there and immediately my eyes catch this glowing greyish silver corvette. The salesman walks out and I don't think I even said hello, HOW MUCH? He replies with a solid 14k. It may as well been 14 million. I went from pumped to a state of depression in 2 seconds flat until I see this light blue Trans Am and just knew it was to be. Ended up buying the Trans Am for 10k and off I go back to Nova Scotia with a smile that could not be removed. Its funny, people still talk to this day about that car and say it was one of the nicest cars in town they ever seen in town (if I can find a pic I will post it ). So here I sit today at a 3000 status waiting to see if the car that I first dreamt of is to be some 30 plus years later and guess where my C8 is ordered from? yep, a dealership in Ontario !! Sorry for dragging this out but was unavoidable . Have a great day everyone and please stay safe !!

'78 brand new in Grade 12 > $6600 🔫
54817bc568b0b81f9f9ed18d6fcdb7db.jpg

I will try to make this as short as possible. Landed a good paying job in a poor town where that wasn't any easy thing to do right after I graduated.Drove to Scarborough,Ont. from Cape Breton with an old friend who sadly is no longer here in the early 80"s after acquiring a $10,000 loan from a bank at 21 % interest ( yes, you read it correctly 21% !!). I was so happy that someone would actually loan me 10k that I would have given them 31% if needed,lol. It was basically all the money that I had other than a little (and I mean little) for travel expenses. All I knew was that I was gonna buy me a corvette . You can probably tell by now how much of a big deal this was for me ! Especially coming from a poor family of 7 who's parents could never ever afford a car, any car. Anyway, off we go, 10k and a dream. The reason why I chose Scarborough was because it was the big city where my brother was after moving to years ago and he told me of a used sport car dealership that would have everything that I was hoping to see. Man, was I pumped !! So we get there and immediately my eyes catch this glowing greyish silver corvette. The salesman walks out and I don't think I even said hello, HOW MUCH? He replies with a solid 14k. It may as well been 14 million. I went from pumped to a state of depression in 2 seconds flat until I see this light blue Trans Am and just knew it was to be. Ended up buying the Trans Am for 10k and off I go back to Nova Scotia with a smile that could not be removed. Its funny, people still talk to this day about that car and say it was one of the nicest cars in town they ever seen in town (if I can find a pic I will post it ). So here I sit today at a 3000 status waiting to see if the car that I first dreamt of is to be some 30 plus years later and guess where my C8 is ordered from? yep, a dealership in Ontario !! Sorry for dragging this out but was unavoidable . Have a great day everyone and please stay safe !!

Great story. Yes I remember the 21% or maybe 23% interest I was paying on my new red Z28 in 1981. Although I desperately wanted one, a Corvette was out of my reach back then. Probably a good thing as boy did that poor Camaro take a beating. haha

I bought a new 1982 Trans Am back in the 80's Thats when Knight Rider was a popular show. I should have bought a used Smokey and the Bandit model cause I think back now and the pre 82's were much nicer and really have held their value for ones in good shape. Which are hard to find now. Good story OP. I remember hard times too just getting into the workforce after dropping out of school. Back then you could get a job easy without education. Now you need a University degree to work at McDonalds. LOL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.