Mar 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Little red 2020 C8
Province
ON
So, I made my own front license plate bracket.
smile.png

It's a cutting board that I cut to size and used the standard mounting holes.
I did have to upsize the screws from 6 to 8 and I used standoffs to push the bottom out about 3/4 of an inch

1614811689524.png

1614811717365.png

Nice.

I've been running dirty without a front plate. I like the look of the front plate with a slight bend, tucked into the cutout, but I don't like the idea of bending my personalized plate. This is good. Looks way better than the molded bracket that comes with the car.

Nice.

I've been running dirty without a front plate. I like the look of the front plate with a slight bend, tucked into the cutout, but I don't like the idea of bending my personalized plate. This is good. Looks way better than the molded bracket that comes with the car.
Ya, I actually tried to use the stock bracket with stand offs, but it wouldn't sit right. I also thought that a Chevrolet spokes person Kirk (Forgot his last name. A Canadian Engineer on the Corvette team) seemed to imply there were screw holes already there for bending the plate, but there aren't.

Front License Plate Install Process:

With the engine behind the driver and the radiators in the front now mounted on the corners, the C8’s integrated license plate doesn’t impact airflow or cooling to the car at all. You can see the outline of the plate holder in the center of the black fascia which has the traditional “CORVETTE” script at the top of the frame.

Click image for larger version  Name:    010820_4b.jpg Views:    1529 Size:    33.6 KB ID:    101161

To remove the license plate cover, you must insert a small flat head screwdriver or another small thin object into the slot on the upper right-hand corner. This allows you to pop the tabs to remove the plate cover from the fascia.

Click image for larger version  Name:    010820_5b.jpg Views:    1532 Size:    32.3 KB ID:    101162

Once the cover is removed, the mounting holes for the license plate are now exposed. The license plate will need to be bent slightly in the middle so that it will fit flush with the Corvettes’ traditionally angular nose.

Click image for larger version  Name:    010820_6b.jpg Views:    1511 Size:    41.7 KB ID:    101163

The final step is to use the mounting screws to tighten the plate against the plate holder. Your C8 Corvette is now wearing its front license plate as required in your state.

Click image for larger version  Name:    010820_7b.jpg Views:    1511 Size:    36.2 KB ID:    101164

According to our conversation with Kirk at the NCM Anniversary show, everything you need for the front license plate comes in a bag with the Corvette. For states that have a minimum height requirement, there is a process where the plate holder can be mounted on the very center of the car with the plate sticking up over the top of the C8’s pointed nose. But hopefully, the integrated plate holder will be enough to keep authorities in your state satisfied.

smile.png

I did have to upsize the screws from 6 to 8 and I used standoffs to push the bottom out about 3/4 of an inch

View attachment 78661

View attachment 78662
Looks good Murray if you feel you have to have the plate up front. Me, I will run plateless as long as I can. Coming out April 1st! can't wait.

smile.png

View attachment 78661

View attachment 78662
Murray, why didn't you just mount the plate directly in the slot? Was it just because you didn't want to bend the plate? Since I'll only be bending the plate once and then mounting it I won't mind bending it a bit. I even had to bend it a bit to fit my old C7. The other advantage your mounting plate has is one can use a plastic license plate plate cover with it. I had one that was just slightly tinted on my three C7s and I liked it as the lite tint toned down the very white Ontario plate a bit. However, you can not bend the hard plastic plate cover much at all. Another option I am exploring is getting a custom sticker/decal made that is an exact replica of my plate (DAVE S C8).

Murray, why didn't you just mount the plate directly in the slot? Was it just because you didn't want to bend the plate? Since I'll only be bending the plate once and then mounting it I won't mind bending it a bit. I even had to bend it a bit to fit my old C7. The other advantage your mounting plate has is one can use a plastic license plate plate cover with it. I had one that was just slightly tinted on my three C7s and I liked it as the lite tint toned down the very white Ontario plate a bit. However, you can not bend the hard plastic plate cover much at all. Another option I am exploring is getting a custom sticker/decal made that is an exact replica of my plate (DAVE S C8).
I paid $300 for personalized plates. Why would I want to deform them? If it was just anything, then yes, I might have just bent them. It cost me nothing to make my mounting plate, but they do sell things like it on Amazon etc.

Reactions: DavidWG
Cutting Board - Bent license Plate or the license bracket from the Dealer? I picked the Dealer license bracket - very nice looking.
Dealer bracket? You mean dealer frame or the GM bracket?
GM bracket that comes with the C8 rubs the paint on the nose.

I used to run without a front plate on my Tesla Model S but was nervous every time. My wife works in the justice system and she said if I get a ticket without a front plate it shows up on your insurance. I didn't care about a fine but don't want to give my insurance company any excuse to raise my rates.

I used to run without a front plate on my Tesla Model S but was nervous every time. My wife works in the justice system and she said if I get a ticket without a front plate it shows up on your insurance. I didn't care about a fine but don't want to give my insurance company any excuse to raise my rates.
Hate to tell you this, but, all motor vehicle related tickets (not parking tickets, since they don't go against your DL) will "show up" if your insurance company decides to check. Now, not all tickets will affect your rates. General rule is, if there is no driving points assessed, it won't affect your rates. YMMV.

Reactions: kerry4
Hate to tell you this, but, all motor vehicle related tickets (not parking tickets, since they don't go against your DL) will "show up" if your insurance company decides to check. Now, not all tickets will affect your rates. General rule is, if there is no driving points assessed, it won't affect your rates. YMMV.
I think it's any moving violation goes against your insurance record.

• Agree
Reactions: kerry4 and TCinthe6
ANY moving violation shows up on your driving abstract if your broker OR underwriter runs the abstract at time of renewal. Points are not needed to affect rate change, any moving violation will generate a change. Points will help determine how much😏

Reactions: Murray20c8
My driving record has been clean as a whistle for the last 4 years. Before that not so much. Almost lost my licence and was down to my last few points. Now cruise control is my best friend. LOL.

Reactions: raycer and Thom
smile.png

View attachment 78661

View attachment 78662
Interesting mod, looks good, I might look into it one day in the far far future when a C8 is in my garage. I was just going to bend the plate.
But I have to ask...why the white washers on the lower mounts? No stainless screws long enough?
I would also paint the backer board black...I know it's nit picking but it's my perfectionist streak ;)

Interesting mod, looks good, I might look into it one day in the far far future when a C8 is in my garage. I was just going to bend the plate.
But I have to ask...why the white washers on the lower mounts? No stainless screws long enough?
I would also paint the backer board black...I know it's nit picking but it's my perfectionist streak ;)
I didn't have any more long license plate screws with the large head so I needed washers, but I've since replaced the white washers with black ones. I added washers on the bottom to angle the plate better. I was bored one day and had the idea to create my own bracket so I used what was on hand.
You can buy black plate brackets and screws from Amazon or C.T.

I installed my front plate buy bending it slightly with 2X upper s/s screws. The plastic plate cover could not bend , so I installed some ppf ( or door sill clear material) over the bare plate.

I purchased the rubber edging kit for plates from Amazon which works great for the rear plate to prevent any scratches on the paint. Bent my front (vanity) plate slightly so it fits in the opening on the front, and used the black screws and screw caps all around. Make for a clean look.

Reactions: DavidWG
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.