Maritimer

I'm New Here
You're 5
Oct 12, 2016
Brookfield
VetteCoins
Car
1998 C5 corvette.
So I have just purchased my first vette. I love it. But....It was lowered and had after market springs put into it. I would like to put it back to original. It had about 3 1/2 clearance. Just too low. So I'm gonna take out the springs, front and rear. Do I have to order those from the dealer or can I get them after market. Also, I need a set of mufflers if I want Borla or corsa, that is the question.....Any thoughts anyone? Where I should go to get them? I live in Nova Scotia. Buy them on line and have them shipped to me? Just trying to get my bearings to find out where a person should go here in this province . Thanks for the advice. I welcome it all!!!

Hi M....
Congrats on the 1998 Vette...
You might be surprised at what is available from the GM parts dealer be sure and try them. Ask for a 'car club' discount if you have no other way of getting a 'deal'. You will probably need a new set of spring bolts as these sometimes get replaced or modified when the car is lowered.

I can recommend the CORSA exhaust as that is what I run on my '03.
No drone, quiet at idle. But they 'open-up' under load!!!!

We do need pics and tell us more about your ride.

Graham

Hey Maritimer....Displaced Maritimer here from Wellington (down near Fall River). Was near your home last week. Was down seeing my Dad and went to Masstown Market in my buddies SS Camaro for Fish and Chips.... Yeah.... I know.... It wasn't a Vette cruise but the F & C's were great... Anyhow.... back to the question.... I ran Corsa Sports on my C6 and agree with Graham.... no drone at cruising speed.... wakes up the neighbours when you get on the pedal..... and a nice low rumble of promise at an idle.... anyhow.... happy Vette-ing and welcome to the forum....

Eric

Welcome to the forum! I hope I don't insult you as I'm not sure how much you know about the C5.
There are two ways to lower the Corvette.
1 - Adjust a bolt at the end of the spring where it meets the A-Arm and if you want more adjustment, purchase longer bolts.
2- Remove the leaf springs and add coil over shocks. These allow for a great ride at lowered height and have some height adjustment.

Chances are the previous owner either adjusted the bolts or bought longer ones. Finding factory bolts, or adjusting the ones you have to increase your ride height shouldn't be too much trouble.

However, if you have coil over shocks and want the factory springs and shock, I may be willing to trade you springs and shocks straight up. :D

Thanks for the reply Riley. No they don't have the coil over shocks. I don't think anyway. Its my first vette so every thing is a learning experience. So, let me get this right....there may be a chance that all the previous owner did was bought other bolts and lowered it that way? I checked out the price for the original spring........950 for the rear and 650 for the front!!! ouch..PLUS TAX!!!!!.

Hi M...
Most people just change out the bolts to lower the car...
Your original note said aftermarket springs?
Like Riley stated.....You may be able to adjust the bolts and raise the car to a height you like.
Many you-tube videos available to see how this is done.
Any good mechanic shop should be able to perform this set-up.
Manny should be able to assist you with locating parts and mufflers and shipping them to you.

Graham

Last edited:
Thanks Graham,
I just emailed the prev owner and asked him exactly what it was that he had done. If he replaced them or just changed the bolts. I remember something he said about the ride control. The selector switch for touring, sport or performance. He said he unhooked the sensors or took them off or something. So now it is on performance all the time. I would like to put this back to the original operating system if I could. Imagine its quite costly.

It would be interesting to hear about the ride control. Usually what happens is one of the shocks starts to leak and people are shocked by the huge price of a replacement shock. (Pun intended :D) For instance, a front shock for your car is about $690US and a rear shock is $530US :jawdrop: so they purchase regular shocks and install resistors at the plugs for the shocks so the computer thinks they're still working.
If all he did was unplug them, then great! However, chances are better that they were replaced with performance shocks.

Last edited:
Ok....so I get a call from my mechanic. My car is done. He had to put three 02 sensors in to it. and there were three or four wires burnt that were laying on the headers. I also got him to look at the springs. He thinks they are original but different bolts. So he changed the rear bolts and brought it up almost 2 in. The front about an inch. He said that one of the spring bolts was stripped and id have to remove the spring to take the insert out that is threaded inside the spring. So anyway it does work much better now. Next is the exhaust. Think I will wait for the winter months for that project. As I was looking it over tonite I took a good look at my targa roof. It is starting to delaminate. Can I get that replaced somewhere? Will a glass shop be able to do that?

Good to hear you go the springs in order! Or at least 3 of the 4 bolts!

As for the glass roof, I'm not sure how much a glass shop can do with the plastic panel. Your best bet may be searching for one on kijiji or craigslist. A good used top is anywhere from $500 - $1000. However, never say never and see what they can do!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.