Happy holidays everyone, I'm sure most are staying off the web today and from this site but for those who are laptop knowledgeable I would like some advice.

Planning on replacing my 10+ year old Samsung laptop (still works great and have plans to perhaps upgrade it a bit (needs a new battery) with bigger HD and slightly more RAM). Will still use it the same even if I do the new purchase.

There's 2 laptops I'm looking at, both are exactly identical except for processor. 1 laptop has the AMD Ryzen 7 6800H CPU and the other has the 12th gen Intel i7-12700H. From checking out YT vids and reading some articles most say the Intel is usually quicker at doing major heavy tasks with the AMD slightly behind (not by much). Some work applications mentions the AMD is slightly better than Intel.

All my previous computers have been Intel chip CPUs, not against change to AMD in this laptop I wanna buy but I want to make sure spec wise both laptops are similiar.

The laptop with the AMD is also currently priced a few hundred $$$'s better than the Intel (again with all other parts of the item identical).

What says the cputer wizards here??

Tony

Last edited:
I personally prefer Intel, but there is nothing wrong with AMD.
There is some good info on them here. I believe 12th gen is the latest from Intel. I have an I7 12th gen in my desktop and I usually have 10 apps open at the same time. (12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF 3.61 GHz) No issues at all. I'd compare the processors, but really if you were good with a 10 year old laptop, then either will serve you well.

Reactions: Afterimage
Yes all those other items were taken into consideration. I did the deed and bought the laptop. Delivery Thursday according to Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B09YZ17QXJ
Have a month after receiving it to return for a full refund if I don't like it so no worries, quite a step up from my old Samsung so looking forward to getting the new one.

Happy holidays everyone, I'm sure most are staying off the web today and from this site but for those who are laptop knowledgeable I would like some advice.

Planning on replacing my 10+ year old Samsung laptop (still works great and have plans to perhaps upgrade it a bit (needs a new battery) with bigger HD and slightly more RAM). Will still use it the same even if I do the new purchase.

There's 2 laptops I'm looking at, both are exactly identical except for processor. 1 laptop has the AMD Ryzen 7 6800H CPU and the other has the 12th gen Intel i7-12700H. From checking out YT vids and reading some articles most say the Intel is usually quicker at doing major heavy tasks with the AMD slightly behind (not by much). Some work applications mentions the AMD is slightly better than Intel.

All my previous computers have been Intel chip CPUs, not against change to AMD in this laptop I wanna buy but I want to make sure spec wise both laptops are similiar.

The laptop with the AMD is also currently priced a few hundred $$$'s better than the Intel (again with all other parts of the item identical).

What says the cputer wizards here??

Tony

You need to ask yourself what your usecases are. Do you want raw power and don't care much for battery or are you finding yourself being unplugged more often?

Intel 12th Gen CPUs are great and currently have the edge over AMD in raw performance but AMD chips will last longer given same size battery and will run cooler (so less fan noise) typically. Some apps will prefer Intel (Adobe Premiere, Photoshop etc). I run mostly AMD and appreciate the battery improvements and it fits my purposes.

AMD systems are typically cheaper too so there's that. Unless you're using your laptop for heavy editing and need every ounce of power I still would recommend saving your money and going AMD. If you can find a pure AMD system (with AMD graphics) there's even more performance you can net with the newer chips.

• Useful
Reactions: 12cents
The new Laptop showed up yesterday and no the guy didn't Ace Ventura it......I was outside at the door once the delivery van showed up and he handed it to me.

So far so good with it, still getting things set up to my liking and is slightly different than my current LT so it'll be a while before I use it like the old one.

On the subject of the old computer (it's a Samsung Series 5........i5-3317 CPU 1.7 Ghz, 8gb ram, 512g hd and runs Windows 10). Yesterday I stopped at Canada Computers and bought a 1TB SSD HD and will plan on cloning my old disc to the new one and install it into the Samsung.

I d/loaded Macrium Reflect 8 as my program to do the cloning. The new SSD is not plugged in on the screenshot but it shows up as disc 3 with 952Gb unallocated space. I'm wondering about the other drive that is 24Gb and shows up as a SSD drive (disc 2). From my research this drive is usually empty and is only used for pre-loading programs or files that are in constant use to help speed up loading and ease the workload from the processor. Is that correct? So basically the cloning will be on disc 1 with all those partitions that will end up on my new 1 TB drive.

The other thing I'm wondering about is RAM. The LT has 4gb soldered to the motherboard and it has a 4gb DDR3 stick in the memory slot (just 1 slot in the computer). I was going to also get an 8gb ram stick and replace the 4gb one but the guy at the store said it won't really make a big difference.

The 2 4gb memory currently runs in dual channel since they are identical ram amounts, he said putting the 8gb in the slot with the soldered 4 gb ram means they won't run in dual channel or something like that. What says all u experts out there about this? Would putting the 8gb in there make a difference or not really worth the cost? Thanks.

Attachments

• Macrium Reflect Free - Not For Commercial Use - v8.0.7175  [UEFI] 2022-12-30 4_21_58 PM.png
    Macrium Reflect Free - Not For Commercial Use - v8.0.7175 [UEFI] 2022-12-30 4_21_58 PM.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 4
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread