Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
Noticing that a significant portion of our readers jump straight to the What's New Page (much like I do) so I am considering changing our default page either to What's New or Trending or Variation thereof or going to our Blog Home.

This is a non-binding poll to see if people care for this or not. Basically when you visit canadiancorvetteforums.com you'd land on the page below instead of the main forum listing page thereby saving you a click. We would of course retain our forum listing page.

new-posts.png

I'm betwix and between the Home Page and the What's New page but I like to see all my Forum choices upon entry as well..... Is betwix a word? So I'm voting to leave it be but will be just as happy with whatever the members prefer.

I am always looking at "Latest Activity" on the main screen as it is right there for glancing on every entry ...
I now checkout the "What's New" tab but still have not realized which of "Recent Posts" or "New Posts" I choose first

Reactions: ddgermann
Speaking of What's New, I just put in a quick tweak or two there to do the following:

1. Highlight What's New tab when you're on that page which wasn't happening
2. Remove the secondary tab bar (recent posts, etc). Those are now located right under the main navigation bar to keep it consistent
3. Add a refresh button (because hitting F5 on What's New will simply pull a cached page)
4. Add auto refresh (every 60 seconds what's new will refresh for you if you keep the tab open)
5. Replace Recent Posts with All Posts

Although I will need to be completely re-trained to use the new "All Posts" button... It looks and works good Nik. The refresh is really handy too. Especially on the phone browser, where with apple the button was down at the bottom and took a couple pushes to kick it off. Which ended up putting things on the reading list a lot of the time.

What's up with the CCF App Nik? Is it seeing any tweaks?

Reactions: YFCvii
Although I will need to be completely re-trained to use the new "All Posts" button... It looks and works good Nik. The refresh is really handy too. Especially on the phone browser, where with apple the button was down at the bottom and took a couple pushes to kick it off. Which ended up putting things on the reading list a lot of the time.

What's up with the CCF App Nik? Is it seeing any tweaks?

App is also being looked at. It's been largely neglected as it's not as popular as I'd like it to be and our regular website experience on mobile isn't bad and certainly a lot more functional in some ways. We have another platform upgrade and changes that will allow non app users to receive push notifications via browser except Apple who are still fighting standards and technologies for web browsers.

Hi Nik.

Just keep in mind that the "What's new" page is what everyone that visits this site will see. Including any new comers. While I agree that most forum users likely click the What's New link as they participate in the forums, is that what you want casual visitors and newbies to see when they first come to the site? It's like having people visit you and they appear in the middle of your home instead of ringing the bell on your front door.

If anything, I would change the What's New or the Trending page page so that it looks more like your Home Page with new articles, Corvette related links on Youtube or Twitter or other social media site and possibly a top 5 or 10 thread notification or something along those lines, something like a summary page, instead of directing to the Fourms as you do have a link on the Home Page for New Posts, which is what I actually do.

While I don't participate on the site as much, right now, my vote would be to keep things as are.

BTW, great work on the site.

Happy Holidays.

Stan.

Last edited:
Hi Nik.

Just keep in mind that the "What's new" page is what everyone that visits this site will see. Including any new comers. While I agree that most forum users likely click the What's New link as they participate in the forums, is that what you want casual visitors and newbies to see when they first come to the site? It's like having people visit you and they appear in the middle of your home instead of ringing the bell on your front door.

If anything, I would change the What's New or the Trending page page so that it looks more like your Home Page with new articles, Corvette related links on Youtube or Twitter or other social media site and possibly a top 5 or 10 thread notification or something along those lines, something like a summary page, instead of directing to the Fourms as you do have a link on the Home Page for New Posts, which is what I actually do.

While I don't participate on the site as much, right now, my vote would be to keep things as are.

BTW, great work on the site.

Happy Holidays.

Stan.

Fair point Stan and yes that thought had crossed my mind. We can work some magic and push logged in members to what's new and guests to the home blog page. I'd like to beef up the home page first though before forcing it down everyone's throat. Will see. All good feedback.

I think leaving it more or less like it is works best. If the regular user / poster wishes to open at the What's New page then it can be booked-marked (which is what I do). New users and lurkers can be entertained by the homepage.

Whilst pondering this I added a few more counters to our What's New Menu for mobile and desktop browsers that you may now see. It's a count of unread posts (not threads).
I like the counter(s) as they take me direct to the "new stuff" without having to hunt. :thumbs:
I like the App counter that I now see at the bottom of my screen too as it does have
the option to clear (mark all as read) the counter and start fresh at "zero" :thumbs:
(as I initially had hundreds of "new" thread messages to read :Wideyed:)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Ugh. I don't know what happened in the last couple of days, but it has ruined my enjoyment of this forum. I have no toolbars any more, and the one toolbar that I do sort of get above the reply window that I'm typing in is empty. Luckily I can mouseover to find what I'm looking for, but the overall browsability of the site is really bad. I get no graphics in the header. I get two CCF logos and a page and a half of blank space. Most of the graphic buttons buttons are missing, I do see some text links, but things are really messed up. Plus the page keeps refreshing and taking me back to the top, which makes it really frustrating when I'm trying to read through a thread. No option to create a thread to tell of my woes, the only thing I can do is reply, which is why this feedback is here instead of in a new thread. I'm on Firefox 52.9.0. Every other webpage I use is working fine, it is just this site.

Nik my friend, what did you change?

• Wow
Ugh. I don't know what happened in the last couple of days, but it has ruined my enjoyment of this forum. I have no toolbars any more, and the one toolbar that I do sort of get above the reply window that I'm typing in is empty. Luckily I can mouseover to find what I'm looking for, but the overall browsability of the site is really bad. I get no graphics in the header. I get two CCF logos and a page and a half of blank space. Most of the graphic buttons buttons are missing, I do see some text links, but things are really messed up. Plus the page keeps refreshing and taking me back to the top, which makes it really frustrating when I'm trying to read through a thread. No option to create a thread to tell of my woes, the only thing I can do is reply, which is why this feedback is here instead of in a new thread. I'm on Firefox 52.9.0. Every other webpage I use is working fine, it is just this site.

Nik my friend, what did you change?

Absolutely nothing has changed in last two days other than my drinking habits. Have you tried chrome? Cleared cookies and browser data? You're not running some weird extensions in your browser?

• Agree
Well, that is the weirdest thing I have seen in a while. I wasn't having issues with any other websites, but if you haven't changed anything then it has to be me. I don't know what it was that was affecting only the CCF (I have multiple browser windows and multiple tabs over two screens), but clearing my cookies and browser data and history seems to have fixed the problem.

Of course it will introduce a whole bunch of new problems, like remembering my passwords for everything. lol.

Problem resolved. Thanks for the prompt reply Nik!

Well, that is the weirdest thing I have seen in a while. I wasn't having issues with any other websites, but if you haven't changed anything then it has to be me. I don't know what it was that was affecting only the CCF (I have multiple browser windows and multiple tabs over two screens), but clearing my cookies and browser data and history seems to have fixed the problem.

Of course it will introduce a whole bunch of new problems, like remembering my passwords for everything. lol.

Problem resolved. Thanks for the prompt reply Nik!

No probs. BTW there's options to clear data for individual sites in browsers so you don't have to dump your whole wad of site data. Anyway glad you got it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread