Nov 5, 2017
Mississauga
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5 Coupe, 6 spd
Just curious if others have had key fob issues re C5's. My '99 key Fobs stop working after a couple months each time after I replace the batteries. Again this spring when I went to start the car for the 1st time this year, the key fobs didn't work for doors, locks, etc even though the batteries test ok. No problem starting the car but neither fob has any effect. Not sure if they lose the programming or there is a module in the car that fails.

The buttons, when pushed, push a rubber or soft plasic against a contact point on the board. (Yours may not be exactly that but it will be damn close). the rubber starts to break down and leaves a black residue on the circuit board. Take the fob halves apart and spray an electrical cleaner (if you can get your hands on liquid Freon, it's the best as it totally evaporates into the air in a matter of seconds (and goes on to dissolve a whole bunch of the ozone layer). Spray it on the board or on a piece of lint free cloth. wipe the board contacts and the underside of the button pushes with the cloth. Put it back together and if that was the problem, the buttons should work. I do this all the time with my older key fobs, remote controls around the house, stereo components, etc. Works great but I'm down to my last litre of freon..... :( @turbozig might have a suggestion on what cleaner to use as they outlawed freon some time ago. Hopefully that is the problem, but it sure sounds like it.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol. We buy it by the case at work for cleaning all sorts of electronic junk. Can be used with q tips. Make sure not to clean the back of the rubber keypad too much or you will remove all the carbon paint. a quick wipe is all that's required.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol. We buy it by the case at work for cleaning all sorts of electronic junk. Can be used with q tips. Make sure not to clean the back of the rubber keypad too much or you will remove all the carbon paint. a quick wipe is all that's required.
Would Woodford Reserve bourbon work Zig?

The buttons, when pushed, push a rubber or soft plasic against a contact point on the board. (Yours may not be exactly that but it will be damn close). the rubber starts to break down and leaves a black residue on the circuit board. Take the fob halves apart and spray an electrical cleaner (if you can get your hands on liquid Freon, it's the best as it totally evaporates into the air in a matter of seconds (and goes on to dissolve a whole bunch of the ozone layer). Spray it on the board or on a piece of lint free cloth. wipe the board contacts and the underside of the button pushes with the cloth. Put it back together and if that was the problem, the buttons should work. I do this all the time with my older key fobs, remote controls around the house, stereo components, etc. Works great but I'm down to my last litre of freon..... :( @turbozig might have a suggestion on what cleaner to use as they outlawed freon some time ago. Hopefully that is the problem, but it sure sounds like it.
.....Rruuff , I've been using a fibre brush pencil and the spray Flux Remover for many years cleaning TV remotes, circuit boards etc , works great , no need to waste freon . Can get it at a electronic supply store .

IM003599.JPG
IM003597.JPG

...since neither fob works, I sooner think something is wrong with the receiver in the car, but not hard to try clean the fob like suggested, if no go then gotta dig deeper . I imagine it must have a antenna someplace to pick up the signal.

Solved for now.

I checked the batteries again. They were perfect. I then reprogrammed them again by holding the 2 lock buttons and pointing at the dash. The horn beeped after 30 seconds and all is good again for now at least.
....wow, I did not know that was possible or existed, someday I might have a vehicle that has this tech, good to know. glad to hear you got it fixed.

I had a C6 with exactly the same problem. After replacing the batteries, then the fobs the problem was tracked down to a bad (intermittent) antenna located in the console. Took two years of back and forth to the dealer but a smart guy in La Quinta, CA finally found it.

A couple days after I reprogrammed them both, they went dead again so you might have something worth checking there.

I bought my C6 used in Red Deer, AB. I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from fought the problem long and hard but eventually decided to sell the car because nobody could fix it. The replacement antenna cost $14 US and I never once had an issue after that. Good luck.

Interesting. I have had mine quit working once, but that's only because the breaker that my tender was plugged into blew sometime throughout the winter, and the car battery was dead, but after re-programming them I haven't had any issues, with that at least.

Reactions: ddgermann
Same story all over again this spring. No response from the fobs even though the batteries are good. If I reprogram them I'm good for about a month then problem repeats. I guess I'll need to look into that antenna thing. Or just reprogram them every month. Funny thing, after about a month the trunk release always works for months but the door locks are the first thing to quit working.

My experience with fobs is the batteries should be changed under the 2 year mark. Only use high quality batteries as the cheaper ones will not work for any length of time. A 2 pack will be about $8 bucks, but worth the extra money. Fobs hanging within range of the vehicle are constantly sending and receiving signals.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread