Apr 11, 2019
Brantford
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Zo6
Province
ON
When I was in going over my PPF requirements I asked the audio installer about kill switches,
alarm systems and such for the C8.
He told me he personally would not hack into the electronics system on these cars.
He also said he understood GM had a key fob battery deactivator that when the fob was not in
motion for a specific number of seconds would stop sending a signal.
That means if someone were trying to steal your signal while fob was in house or sitting still
the signal could not be copied.
I googled it but found nothing.
He said it was inserted somehow into the fob.
Anyone have any info on such a gadget?

Reactions: ABC
When I was in going over my PPF requirements I asked the audio installer about kill switches,
alarm systems and such for the C8.
He told me he personally would not hack into the electronics system on these cars.
He also said he understood GM had a key fob battery deactivator that when the fob was not in
motion for a specific number of seconds would stop sending a signal.
That means if someone were trying to steal your signal while fob was in house or sitting still
the signal could not be copied.
I googled it but found nothing.
He said it was inserted somehow into the fob.
Anyone have any info on such a gadget?
So this is news to me. I did not read anything about that in the manual. That is why I bought two fob pouches to protect the signal. My buddy with his Porsche has the ability to turn off his fob which certainly makes a whole lot of sense from a security point of view and battery life view also.

• Agree
Reactions: Blu427
From the manual
if the remote key has been idle for a while, the DIC may display KEY IN SLEEP MODE, MOVE KEY, THEN START.
Good to know! I missed that. But does sleep mode infer that then it cannot be cloned while in sleep mode? I would think so. Still I carry my fob pouch in the car so when I park the key gets tucked away and no I do not wear aluminum foil hats at home. haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucketoy
To hack my FOB’s at home, the would be hacker is well inside the property and within pea shooter range, dog range, and wrath of the wife range. I would take my chances with the dog and the pea shooter.
True, but some people hang their keys beside the door and it could be cloned through the wall.
Particularily if you live in a condo or apartment. Where there is always people moving about.

I have always left the FOBs in my pocket and have had moments of panic as it was barely rescued from the washing machine a few times. While carrying it was so convenient as the car does everything as you approach or walk away, You guys who place them in the car retain a much better awareness of what state the car is in. (locked / unlocked etc)

And ya.... I never had a frunk to stress about. Imagine scratching your balls and accidentally popping the frunk at 120. (purely a hypothetical observation - no frunks or balls were harmed writing this)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread