warriorking

Casual User
Aug 6, 2019
Hamilton o Hamilton,Ontario.Canada
VetteCoins
What are the thoughts and successful methods that have worked to keep rodents out during winter storage.
I have tried and continue to use Dryer sheets,Moth balls in a Tupperware container drilled with holes.Iris Spring soap. I just thought that if one does not work maybe one of the others may. I also plugged up the exhaust pipes with steel wool. Worked last year. I also adding peppermint essential oils this year. what are your thoughts?

Height.

880004CD-9482-4C98-8C08-D68CFFA053C4.jpeg

I'm pretty lucky as my Vette cave is rodent free but the steel wool in the exhaust is a good idea. My jury is out on the dryer sheets and peppermint oil. I did try Irish Spring soap in a holiday trailer about 10 years back. By spring, the mice had eaten half the bar. There's a picture of it I posted here somewhere many years ago...lol... Something that always worked in my hunting camp in the winter was a 4 litre ice cream pail half full of RV antifreeze. Tape a sheet of plastic over the top, cut an X slit about 3 inches long in the center of the plastic and smear peanut butter or cheese whiz at the X. The mice crawl up the container, go to the bait, and plop down into the pail and drown. If you really want to make it easy, lay a small board up against the side of the pail for them to walk up... If you have lots of mice, you will have to empty the mice out every so often and refill with antifreeze as they will fill the pail... If your garage is heated, you can use water.

Note: If anyone is a member of some organization that thinks that mice have the same rights as people, well.... too damn bad .... lol...

What are the thoughts and successful methods that have worked to keep rodents out during winter storage.
I have tried and continue to use Dryer sheets,Moth balls in a Tupperware container drilled with holes.Iris Spring soap. I just thought that if one does not work maybe one of the others may. I also plugged up the exhaust pipes with steel wool. Worked last year. I also adding peppermint essential oils this year. what are your thoughts?
All of your precautions are what I have used. Failing that, get a cat!

I have no scientific proof ,but, I have always just placed dryer sheets in the car and under the hood. No critter problems.
I did have a friend who stored his BMW Z4 in his dads barn. I suggested he use dryer sheets, but what did I know. He used moth balls, in fact he used so many that, in the spring and until about half way through the summer, you could only drive it with the roof down, otherwise you risked being gassed from the moth ball smell... but he had no critters.

I'm pretty lucky as my Vette cave is rodent free but the steel wool in the exhaust is a good idea. My jury is out on the dryer sheets and peppermint oil. I did try Irish Spring soap in a holiday trailer about 10 years back. By spring, the mice had eaten half the bar. There's a picture of it I posted here somewhere many years ago...lol... Something that always worked in my hunting camp in the winter was a 4 litre ice cream pail half full of RV antifreeze. Tape a sheet of plastic over the top, cut an X slit about 3 inches long in the center of the plastic and smear peanut butter or cheese whiz at the X. The mice crawl up the container, go to the bait, and plop down into the pail and drown. If you really want to make it easy, lay a small board up against the side of the pail for them to walk up... If you have lots of mice, you will have to empty the mice out every so often and refill with antifreeze as they will fill the pail... If your garage is heated, you can use water.

Note: If anyone is a member of some organization that thinks that mice have the same rights as people, well.... too damn bad .... lol...
PETA is coming for you. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
Use steel wool for the exhaust. Don't know why they would want to live in my car's rear end but why take the chance.
Dryer sheets for the inside of the car & trunk. Heard they have to be BOUNCE brand..'
Get a few mice in the basement where I store the car but the traps get them.
No invaders yet.
Basement is warm so maybe the mice are not so inclined to seek out a cozy spot for the winter.

Reactions: Cruzin

Why not put 3 or 4 mouse traps in the car, crush their skulls. If you kill more than 2 mice in your garage you should move.

• Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I have had good success with the plug in (110V) rodent deterrent. I guess the noise this emits must hurt their ears so they stay away. You can buy them at Canadian Tire. Peppermint Oil spray works as well.

Reactions: Riley P
I've always wondered about those ultrasonic pest controls. Glad to hear they work. I used to always go to the RV store and get one of those mouse pouches, which is a netted bag full of wood chips??? Whatever they have in there, it doesn't smell like moth balls and if it's good enough for RV's then I imagine it would work for my car. However, over the past 5 years I haven't used anything as new cars are sealed up pretty good. I've never had an issue yet.

I use a product called "cab fresh", unfortunatley only available in USA so you would have to order. it has a strong odor but it works you will just need to air out in the spring. Good luck

I'm not sure about those electronic pest deterent devices. I've used them and not sure if they wear out or are only providing a false sense of security, but I have seen mice at our camp with these in use. YMMV

I'm not sure about those electronic pest deterent devices. I've used them and not sure if they wear out or are only providing a false sense of security, but I have seen mice at our camp with these in use. YMMV

This seems to indicate that they are probably not really of use. Other studies are rather inconclusive. I don't think I would suggest them to anyone, but I also don't think I would criticize someone for trying it. Anything with such mixed reviews, I myself would ignore.
Those electronic rust inhibitors for autos are more clearly an apparent waste of money BTW.

This seems to indicate that they are probably not really of use. Other studies are rather inconclusive. I don't think I would suggest them to anyone, but I also don't think I would criticize someone for trying it. Anything with such mixed reviews, I myself would ignore.
Those electronic rust inhibitors for autos are more clearly an apparent waste of money BTW.

My intent was not to criticize anyone for trying them, hell, I admitted to trying them myself. The intent of my post was to pass on my personal experience with these devices, nothing more. In case you missed it, YMMV means Your Mileage May Vary aka you may have different results.

Hell, maybe my mice are all deaf and can’t hear the noise. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.