Ka-Chow

Casual User
USA You're Celebrated
Mar 12, 2023
VetteCoins
Just wondering if this is normal. I have a 23 C8, so first time storage. I changed my oil before storage ( which was Nov 1) and took it out on May 1. My oil % is reading 44%!!!! I don’t think I drove my C8 100 km before storage. Has this happened to anyone else? FYI I have 5500 km on odometer.

Reactions: Vettenut
Just wondering if this is normal. I have a 23 C8, so first time storage. I changed my oil before storage ( which was Nov 1) and took it out on May 1. My oil % is reading 44%!!!! I don’t think I drove my C8 100 km before storage. Has this happened to anyone else? FYI I have 5500 km on odometer.
It's by time, not oil quality

Yes, normal. OLM is time and use dependent so even if you change your oil but don't drive your car for months your % will drop down. Just reset it to 100% and carry on.

edit: FYI just got my ZR1 going after almost 6 months storage. Changed oil, trans and diff fluids before parking it. Fired it up early April and my OLM went down to 77%, reset to 100% and drove the car a bit to burn off the old gas in the tank.

Parked it 2 weeks and took it out the other day and OLM dropped down to 51%. I was like WTF but I know oil is fresh and I'll just keep driving it and maybe I will or won't reset it again.

Your storage people disconnected your battery for 20 minutes, reconnected and hit Z Z TC TC Z to disable your mileage indicator. Then they had at it for the winter until you called to arrange pickup where they reversed the process to engage milage indicator and washed your car. Happened to a dude in Ohio 2.years ago....

• Haha
Reactions: OL Yeller
Your storage people disconnected your battery for 20 minutes, reconnected and hit Z Z TC TC Z to disable your mileage indicator. Then they had at it for the winter until you called to arrange pickup where they reversed the process to engage milage indicator and washed your car. Happened to a dude in Ohio 2.years ago....
Seriously? A hidden mileage disabler? That sounds ilegal.

Back to the original question.... Oil life indicator tracks time and mileage since last oil change - so if you parked your car for 5 months, and you're supposed to change the oil at least yearly, 5 / 12 x 100 = wait for it - 42%. No need to reset oil monitor. If you manage to put enough km on the car this summer, the mileage count will tell you when to change oil if you need to do it sooner than 12 months after your last oil change.

Back to the original question.... Oil life indicator tracks time and mileage since last oil change - so if you parked your car for 5 months, and you're supposed to change the oil at least yearly, 5 / 12 x 100 = wait for it - 42%. No need to reset oil monitor. If you manage to put enough km on the car this summer, the mileage count will tell you when to change oil if you need to do it sooner than 12 months after your last oil change.
Brand new oil sitting in your engine for 5 months does almost nothing to the oil. Reset it and drive it again or not, but it's only a way to keep track.

Reactions: Bunny hop