95EFEF23-5936-44B2-9ACF-BDAA8C06567F.png
One of the pioneers and legends of our great game. Full of class. RIP Johnny.

Great pic Mike. Glory days of the Original Six. Looked after their legs better than their heads. Dangerous time to be a goalie.

I don't know if anyone else remembers but years ago the St. Lawrence Starch Company sold this bottle of, well no idea what it was, honey like substance. There was a paper disk held to the blue and yellow can with the plastic top. You could send that paper disk in to get a picture of your favourite hockey player. I think they were 5" x 7" black and white, real photographs. I had one of Johnny Bower.

Two things. No idea where the pictures went and no idea what you used the sticky mess for. I just knew if you poured half the stuff down the drain you could get another picture even quicker. Jello had those great hockey coins in each package and we ate and disposed of a lot of that stuff as well. I have a friend, over 60 years now (he must be desperate for friends I know) but he has the whole set of original six teams except for the Leafs. Somebody stole that on him. Now he just has the original Five.

Just a little bit of goalie history in the NHL. I knew Hamilton, Ontario's "Downtown" Andy Brown when he raced supermodified race cars at New York State's Oswego Speedway in the early 1970's. These cars , the fastest pavement oval track cars outside of Indy cars held a special place for Andy.

He was also known as "Fearless" Andy Brown. He was the last goal tender in the NHL to play without a mask. That was in 1974 with the Detroit Red Wings. He continued to play three more seasons in the WHL and never wore a mask in that league either. "Downtown" or "Fearless" Andy Brown was quite the competitor.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Murray.You have an amazing history of the things you accomplished and the people that you know and knew... I get the feeling you are an important man.... Are you hiding something? Were you a former Prime Minister or something? ;)

Took a while to find a picture of Andy Brown in his race car. This picture was taken in the late 1960's at Oswego Speedway shows Brown in his gold and purple 00 roadster. In all likelihood the car is an ex Indy Racer. Brown was racing at the time with a broken right arm, you can see the cast on his arm raised above the supermodified cage.

oswb0044.jpg

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.