Well.... It's been 9 years since there has been an entry in this off topic forum section so just for sh..s and giggles, thought I would post what I have been doing for the past week in the food department. Way back last February, a buddy and I purchased five young steers and grass pastured them here on the farm until 3 weeks ago. For the last month, each steer got 20 pounds of cracked barley per day. We ended their lives, and they hung in another buddy's cooler to age. Last week, we started and butchered one steer each day in my meat cutter friend's garage that he has all set up for butchering wild game. Last year we processed just over 100 animals; mostly moose and elk. Myself and 4 friends now have about 400 lbs each of grass fed and grain finished meat in our freezers. Family and friends will all be getting gift packages as that much meat is more than wifey and I will eat in a season...lol... Had fresh bbq'd ribeyes last night for supper... Delishhhhhh. Anyway... Here's the photo finish (less the life ending pics)....

PXL_20210501_212138217.jpg

PXL_20210917_213108807 (1).jpg

PXL_20211001_224304382.jpg

1633275993349.png

Well.... It's been 9 years since there has been an entry in this off topic forum section so just for sh..s and giggles, thought I would post what I have been doing for the past week in the food department. Way back last February, a buddy and I purchased five young steers and grass pastured them here on the farm until 3 weeks ago. For the last month, each steer got 20 pounds of cracked barley per day. We ended their lives, and they hung in another buddy's cooler to age. Last week, we started and butchered one steer each day in my meat cutter friend's garage that he has all set up for butchering wild game. Last year we processed just over 100 animals; mostly moose and elk. Myself and 4 friends now have about 400 lbs each of grass fed and grain finished meat in our freezers. Family and friends will all be getting gift packages as that much meat is more than wifey and I will eat in a season...lol... Had fresh bbq'd ribeyes last night for supper... Delishhhhhh. Anyway... Here's the photo finish (less the life ending pics)....

View attachment 87613
View attachment 87615
View attachment 87614
View attachment 87617
You killed those cute critters! How could you!!?? Moderators! I need a moderator!

View attachment 87613
View attachment 87615
View attachment 87614
View attachment 87617
Looks good. Attach a 3000 watt generator to that and call the UPS guy. Just tell them to send it to Don in NL, they will know where I live.

Thanks for the heads-up. Gotta watch some of those Albertans, they will slap anything on the BBQ and try to pass it off as Grade A Beef
Little known industry secret is the best beef to buy is a grade C young(ish) heifer. The grading mostly has to do with any marring or obvious issues with the carcass and is usually trimmed off. Grade C is way cheaper than grade A. The big deal is to make sure the carcass hangs for a minimum of 14 days at the right temp. I prefer mine at 21 days. Touch more shrinkage but yum yum.....

• Informative
Reactions: OL Yeller
Little known industry secret is the best beef to buy is a grade C young(ish) heifer. The grading mostly has to do with any marring or obvious issues with the carcass and is usually trimmed off. Grade C is way cheaper than grade A. The big deal is to make sure the carcass hangs for a minimum of 14 days at the right temp. I prefer mine at 21 days. Touch more shrinkage but yum yum.....
lol.... Canada grading doesn't have a C grade. A/AA/AAA are the top grades, B 1-4 grades are usually younger cattle typically close to A grade but without the marbling or fat content required for the A grades. D grades are mature (nice word for old cows)... Can still be good meat if the fat content is there (D1). E grade are bulls (save the tenderloin and burger the rest). The steers we slaughtered were about 18 months old but were grain fed daily since May and finished with 20 pounds of grain each for the last month. Mine was marginally the heaviest and I got 430 pounds of boneless meat. Learned long ago not to waste freezer room with bones....

lol.... Canada grading doesn't have a C grade. A/AA/AAA are the top grades, B 1-4 grades are usually younger cattle typically close to A grade but without the marbling or fat content required for the A grades. D grades are mature (nice word for old cows)... Can still be good meat if the fat content is there (D1). E grade are bulls (save the tenderloin and burger the rest). The steers we slaughtered were about 18 months old but were grain fed daily since May and finished with 20 pounds of grain each for the last month. Mine was marginally the heaviest and I got 430 pounds of boneless meat. Learned long ago not to waste freezer room with bones....
Must have changed. Worked the packing plant when I was much younger and we graded many carcasses "C" grade. Likely "A" is the old "C".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread