xlr8r

Power User
Apr 23, 2012
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
Well, here's one of my rights of passage into vette-dom.

I got my first speeding ticket last week. Now I know what you're thinking--especially if you are "Somebody". And yes, you're right--it WAS only a matter of time. However, the officer gave me only 20 over the limit. So that's cool. I'll likely fight it as well.

What was really nice, was I got no flack at all about the blacked-out side-markers, or the custom exhaust. Pretty happy that my mods only enticed the officer who pulled me over to say my car sounded awesome--and VERY fast, LOL.

In any case, I will fightr the ticket--it's a little long for this post to discuss the merits of my case, so I will save it for now.

Happy Winter Everyone. Just putting mine to sleep.

Speaking of which--with real low-profile tires, is it still important to inflate the tires up to 40 psi? I didn't, and don't feel like going out again. Tank wasnt quite full either, but got the STABIL in as well.

Cheers,

Vince.

Around my area at least, 20 over is the magic number. Go over that and you are fair game. Any more, if you are not going close to 20 over, you will have a line of cars a mile long behind you. In more than a few cases, the speed limits are not appropriate for the road and area. I can show you a couple stretches of road around here where, in the middle of the country, in the middle of no where, where there are 40 and 50 kph speed limits for no apparent reason other than someone complained. If everyone fought the tickets, the courts would be dragged to a stand still. I was talking to an auxiliary cop and he admitted that speeding tickets and such are a real cash cow for the government.
As for flat spotting of tires, I have never noticed that since the days of the old bias ply tires. Even then, it went away after a few short miles. I leave the tire pressure at 32 psi all the time.
My first ticket was in a 283 Beaumont and the only other one was in an S-10 Jimmy. Never ever got one in any of our musclecars. Probably should have gotten a few though.

Last edited:
Bad luck on ticket Vince -- like you say: it's a matter of time unless one is very lucky.
I go a few pounds over on the tire pressures. It helps to prevent flat spots by lessening the contact patch.

C.

Vince, if left at the lower pressure the side walls compress and create the flat spot. A Goodyear engineer said to inflate then to the max pressure which is 45 and you won't run into that problem. I did that last year and had no problems like the year before. Took a month bumping down the road to make them round again

Sorry to hear about the ticket. I've had the RCMP flash his lights at me once and raise his hand in warning but never gotten a ticket. Once I came across a list of things to do to avoid getting a speeding ticket and one of the suggestions I always use now is to use cruise control. These cars I find give a very poor sense of speed and it is so easy to have "speed creep" as well when driving. Not to mention a slightly heavy foot in a high HP car results in a major increase in speed compared to oh say mashing the throttle on my grain truck!

I'm not worried about the "being 20 over" the limit ticket as much as I am the ticket for "being 150 over" the limit moments I still seem to have........

I did buy a radar detector as well but can't say yet that it has saved me from a ticket. I have the terrible bad habit at the moment of when it goes off looking for the police car rather than tapping my brakes! Silly I know.

Please let us know if you are successful with fighting the ticket too.

Nice tips on the pre-storage tire pressure too guys, thanks.

Cheers,

Garry

Well, here's one of my rights of passage into vette-dom.

I got my first speeding ticket last week. Now I know what you're thinking--especially if you are "Somebody". And yes, you're right--it WAS only a matter of time. However, the officer gave me only 20 over the limit. So that's cool. I'll likely fight it as well.

In any case, I will fightr the ticket--it's a little long for this post to discuss the merits of my case, so I will save it for now.

Cheers,

Vince.

Vince I'm curious..........is "Somebody" refering to me?? Also if its cool that you only got nailed for 20 over (sounds like you agree that you were speeding correct me if i'm wrong)why would you be fighting this?? Curious minds need answers.....lol.

Hey Vince! I just put my cars to bed on Saturday. There is a little bit of snow trickling down right now and temperatures aren't expected to go more than +5 until May so I am glad I put them away, but sad I put them away.

That is cool that the officer said your car sounded great! What time of the day did you get a ticket? As cops are encouraged to give out a certain number of tickets per day, maybe speeding later or first thing in the morning would be the best time? :D

It was in the evening, well past dark--but around these parts, that's pretty early these days, LOL.

Car is almost in bed now too, just need to change the oil--want to do it myself.

Sorry to hear Vinman, I had a couple close ones, the Detector saved my butt, I got the mistress's oil change and gave her a bath on Friday, glad I did we got 3 foot drifts out in central Alberta, one just too spray wax her her give the interior a whip down put on the battery minder and the cover and bid her a good night
Rob

Somebody.

This was originally jab at you, but I believe I made it at the wrong person now. My apologies!! One of the CCF members was jabbing me about driving habits after the Ponoka meet. I was playing back in fun and with good-intentions. For some reason, I thought this conversation was with you--apparently I am wrong!

Now, to answer your question. The officer verbalized I was going two different speeds when we spoke, then proceeded to issue my ticket stating another speed altogether. Furthermore, he was DRIVING a vehicle WITHOUT a radar-unit in the OPPOSITE direction as me. Finally he made his decision while negotiating a bend in the road on a fairly busy street...................

Thats a lot of distractions for anyone to accurately gauge the speed of multiple vehicles driving in oncoming traffic. I passed another driver next to me, but they were going slow, so I downshifted, and passed him in the left lane.

I understand the police can issue tickets based on sheer judgment of speed. That's fine, but it's also my right to have a judge hear the case. Let's face it, our cars often look like they're doing 80 when they're parked!!! Throw on some exhaust, and that fact only becomes more apparent.

This isn't my first ticket, and I've gladly paid when I've been caught in the past without going to court. However, I have had one other ticket thrown out of court (another story for another time). To me, there is more than reasonable doubt the officer knew my speed. He caught noticed me while accelerating. speeders are a cash cow for any city, but tickets aren't always issued correctly. If so, explain why photo-radar is used? It doesn't make the streets any more safe--in fact, I submit the opposite. It usually cause people to slam their brakes on while driving down a road with no crosswalks, lights, or other dangers. Usually drivers will take their speed down to well-under the limit once they see "the truck".........

In any case Somebody, apologies for the misdirected jab. I hope you can understand why i would chose to fight my ticket though.

Vince, no problem......sounds like you have a decent case.
I wasn't sure who you were refering to........"Somebody" could of been anyone.....I thought possibly the ticket writer, lol. My handle is actually Somebuddy, my late basset hounds name. We called her that at a very young age when we didn't want her to know what we were talking about, for example if were gonna run down town we would say "should we take Somebuddy"...........well she caught on to this name at about 8 weeks old and it stuck with her for about another 12 years.

Vince I knew there was more to your story and I was simply curious to hear it....no worries.......I agree totally with the whole cash cow thing. Oh I can take a whole lot of jabbing I live like two blocks from Bearly Flying lol.
Also speaking of the Ponoka Meet & Greet, I figured your departure was one of the better ones!!! Darn it seems like a long time til spring.

"I can take a whole lot of jabbing I live like two blocks from Bearly Flying lol. "

WHAT??????

I resemble that remark....

Vince, it was probably me that was ragging ya.

You gotta admit, you laid down a challenge for the other Hooligans to match, ( Ya know, Guy's in YELLOW Convertibles....Not Me.. No way...)

Don't take it the wrong way. I was happy to explain my story, but also wanted to make sure the somebody comment had a reason, lol.

I think I have a case too :)

looking forward to my next departure at the next meet and great, next spring, hahaha!

Somebody.

This was originally jab at you, but I believe I made it at the wrong person now. My apologies!! One of the CCF members was jabbing me about driving habits after the Ponoka meet. I was playing back in fun and with good-intentions. For some reason, I thought this conversation was with you--apparently I am wrong!

Now, to answer your question. The officer verbalized I was going two different speeds when we spoke, then proceeded to issue my ticket stating another speed altogether. Furthermore, he was DRIVING a vehicle WITHOUT a radar-unit in the OPPOSITE direction as me. Finally he made his decision while negotiating a bend in the road on a fairly busy street...................

Thats a lot of distractions for anyone to accurately gauge the speed of multiple vehicles driving in oncoming traffic. I passed another driver next to me, but they were going slow, so I downshifted, and passed him in the left lane.

I understand the police can issue tickets based on sheer judgment of speed. That's fine, but it's also my right to have a judge hear the case. Let's face it, our cars often look like they're doing 80 when they're parked!!! Throw on some exhaust, and that fact only becomes more apparent.

This isn't my first ticket, and I've gladly paid when I've been caught in the past without going to court. However, I have had one other ticket thrown out of court (another story for another time). To me, there is more than reasonable doubt the officer knew my speed. He caught noticed me while accelerating. speeders are a cash cow for any city, but tickets aren't always issued correctly. If so, explain why photo-radar is used? It doesn't make the streets any more safe--in fact, I submit the opposite. It usually cause people to slam their brakes on while driving down a road with no crosswalks, lights, or other dangers. Usually drivers will take their speed down to well-under the limit once they see "the truck".........

In any case Somebody, apologies for the misdirected jab. I hope you can understand why i would chose to fight my ticket though.

Sounds good Vince -- go get 'em brother.
C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.