Jun 4, 2017
Martensville, SK
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette, 2023, Z51
Province
SK
Has anyone run across the issue of having their mud "flaps" on the front of the car, particularly when you have the nose raised and are turning right, rub on the tire? Any time I make a right turn with the nose raised the flap rubs on the tire. I had the dealer look at it, but because I have aftermarket wheels on that are slightly more flush to the fenders they won't do anything about it. When I turn left there isn't any rubbing, so it's weirdly particular.

Has anyone come across lower profile flaps to install to prevent that? Otherwise I think I'm going to have to remove that front wheel and just sand down the mud flap on the inside to avoid the rubbing.

The wheels are the same diameter and do not have spacers installed. The dealer installed the wheels. The other side works perfectly fine. I agree you can't always anticipate issues, but the wheel diameters and tires are all factory.
You said that your aftermarket wheels sit more flush with the fenders that means they have a different offset which is what wheel spacers do also

Has anyone run across the issue of having their mud "flaps" on the front of the car, particularly when you have the nose raised and are turning right, rub on the tire? Any time I make a right turn with the nose raised the flap rubs on the tire. I had the dealer look at it, but because I have aftermarket wheels on that are slightly more flush to the fenders they won't do anything about it. When I turn left there isn't any rubbing, so it's weirdly particular.

Has anyone come across lower profile flaps to install to prevent that? Otherwise I think I'm going to have to remove that front wheel and just sand down the mud flap on the inside to avoid the rubbing.
Don’t turn right… :rolleyes:

There is a lot of sketchy design in the aftermarket where solutions are not as well engineered as at the factory (not engineered at all?), and you take your chances. Two examples with the C8 IMO are exhausts (no heat shielding), and wheels. There are very few aftermarket wheels I've seen for the C8 that maintain factory offsets, and are often sold as "flush" fitment.

Wheel offset I believe is regulated like bumper heights etc., however changing the wheel offset can affect wheel hub/bearing loading, and vehicle aerodynamics. In most cases for the C8 it looks to me that smaller wheel manufactures go with lower offset blanks they already have, calling them "flush" fitment as opposed to doing a proper tailored fitment for the relatively high offsets on the C8 which would be more costly. OZ, BBS and Callaway (made by OZ) are among those that seem to have done tailored solutions for the C8. Like the "flush" look on the street? OK. But know that GM engineers selected 52mm and 64mm as the factory offsets for reasons, and straying too far from that (or adding spacers) may have unintended consequences. Have a look at the offsets on the C8R - close to factory in that the wheels sit slightly inboard from the bodywork similar to the stock C8. I would tend to think GM and P&M Racing have done more than a bit of work in wind tunnels, and have studied wheel hub bearing loading with endurance/reliability a consideration.

Attachments

• chevrolet-corvette-c8r-both-cars.jpeg
    chevrolet-corvette-c8r-both-cars.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

The factory mud flap comes off fairly easily without removing the tire. Since you already have rubbing, you will see where you have to sand it down. Good luck and let us know how it goes.