Beta
Jun 14, 2017
Port Hope, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Z16 #123
Province
ON
Today while detailing the engine on the passenger side I noticed the smell of battery acid. Is this because its on the battery tender and has been charging or is it leaking?
This battery has been in the car since I bought it in 2013.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Today while detailing the engine on the passenger side I noticed the smell of battery acid. Is this because its on the battery tender and has been charging or is it leaking?
This battery has been in the car since I bought it in 2013.
It shouldn't be a tender overcharging problem unless it's malfunctioning.Typically they only charge at a very low amperage usulaly 1 to 2 amp, and are float chargers that sense drawdown, turn on and as soon as it reaches a certain 'fully charged' voltage, they shut down. When charging, lead acid produces a small amount of Hydrogen which you may be able to trace smell. If the battery is over charging it will produce Hydrogen sulphide gas which is more pronounced and smells more like rotten eggs. If the battery is low on water it will tend to guve off more acid odor as the mixture is incorrect. If the battery is leaking, you will also smell it more, and if the battery is near it's last legs, it will also give off more smell. All except the overcharge smell tend to smell more like a vinegar... not exactly but that sort of smell that irritates the nose... lol... Lots of things to check...

Eric's overview is excellent.

Jim, it is worth pulling the battery out to have a look. Considering all the expensive stuff right underneath the battery better safe than sorry. I don't leave the battery in the car any more over the winter, IMO just not worth the risk of something going wrong.

Good luck, let us know what you find. :thumbs:

• Agree
Reactions: hemicat
I have taken the battery out. it doesn't look to bad.
DSC_0213.JPG

Okay guys now can you recommend a good replacement.

I ended up buying a battery from PartSource, a MPS75 with 690 CCA. It has the MagnaPower Silver label and it is made by EPM so that gave me confidence that I was buying a quality product. We have an EPM distribution hub here in Saskatoon and asked them about it and they said it was one of the type they make. It is a group 75 battery so it is identical in size to my OEM battery and has the two side posts. The cost was reasonable at $140 (tax in with my old core). I wanted one that only had the side posts and so far this battery works fine for me.

I also purchased a battery mat in case of an accident:

I worked for East Penn Manufacturing (EPM). East Penn manufactures batteries in Pennsylvania to a very high standard. EPM Head Office is on Salem Road in Whitby you could call and ask who is your local distributor is but as Hemicat said they are supported right across the country. I believe they make the batteries now for Canadian Tire as well.

Good luck with it Jim.

Reactions: hemicat
First, don’t condemn the battery until you have it load tested. Generally, older batteries aren’t going to have the “poop” a new one does, but that doesn’t mean it needs to be replaced on a calendar date. If it comes up bad on a load test, then replace. If it comes back good, re-install. If it comes back “weak” but good, then you can make the discretionary decision to replace or not.

Also, not all battery tenders are created equal. Some only have a “trickle charge” setting. Meaning: its only going to charge at somewhere between .5 to 2 amps, but it always is on. “Smarter” ones have multiple charge modes and once the battery is up to charge, they switch to “float” mode. Meaning it essentially shuts itself off and just tops the battery up as it senses a drop. Its more complicated than that, but thats it in laymans terms.

Older “tenders” tend to be the trickle charge type, newer ones are the multiple modes type. Newer ones incorporate the monitoring circuitry and the mode controls, where the older ones are pretty much just a ac to Dc converter.

The older types were sold as “battery tenders”, but they really weren’t. They were intended to slow charge the battery and be removed by the user when the battery was full. Then, the user would have to go out and charge the battery every month or so. The new generation, as I mentioned, monitor themselves and switch to the most appropriate mode based on what it senses from the battery. Hence, current battery tenders can be left on the battery for the entire storage period, regardless of how long it is. But you still need to read the specs and instructions to know if it can be plugged in and forgotten about until spring.

Even a trickle charger (older type) can boil a battery dry, if left on long enough.

For the battery tray:baking soda and water to neutralize any acid and paint fixes up any damages.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.