Dec 21, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2021 C8
Province
BC
does the Corvette pick up higher than normal road noise? I have had a 911 and just before the Vette I had a Jaguar XK and I have to say that the cockpit was certainly quieter in those models...... I appreciate that the tires on the Vette are definitely wider than those I had on the XK, but not much difference than those on the 911.......

• Haha
Reactions: MiroB
I am still running the PSS ZP's. My last Corvette had Eagle F1's so if I ever want to think about the C7 noise level, I just think about those... Either that or I jump in my diesel for a trip.... And there's always the choice of Track Mode exhaust tone.... much better than road noise... Or push harder on the go pedal and hear the screams from the passenger seat.... That drowns out ANYTHING ......:rolleyes:

As I am sure you know, Corvette's are light and relatively inexpensive compared to many many many other performance cars out there. Sound deadening is one of the weight savings, as well as fancier liquid filled engine mounts, double pane windows, material choice, and lack of acoustic tuning/suppression between the cabin and suspension. So, you would be correct that Corvettes are a little louder on the inside. It's fine for some people and for others there are solutions to make it a bit quieter. A sound deadening package, from what you asked about, is a great way to cut down noise from what I've heard (or haven't heard?:D), and they don't add too much weight to the car, or enough weight to matter, unless you are trying to catch each tenth on a track.
As stated by others, changing to a more flexible, lighter tire (ei, non runflat) is also a solution to lessen noise in the cabin.

I added about 15 lbs of sound deadening material to my 2015 z51M7. Put it behind the seats, the floor in the back, around the tranny tunnel, in the rear wheel wells. It has helped. Changing the tires does reduce the noise from everything I have read.

After adding all that weight, I found a sound blocker that is very light, air bubbles in it instead of the heavy lead like material that mine has. I just don't remember the name of the product. Do your research before you make any decisions. If I could go back, I would have bought the lighter stuff.

I think I saw an option on Corvette Central for a sound mat application for the C7.

Funny thing for me, when I am enjoying my ride so much, any noise is not being noticed. My passenger would be one to complain the most and maybe she is just accepting it without saying anything ... I remember my 84 Camaro Z28 was brutal until I replaced the Goodyear Eagles that came with it. My guess is that is where I am going to start if the noise starts to become more apparent to me. It would normally be an issue when I would be using hands-free for phoning ... so far not. Good thing I can't go check it right now ... I'd hate to start an issue for me that has not even been noticed ....

I think I'm going with the custom cut down filled sleeping bag idea.... you just lay it on the floor...around the seat base, up and into the rear hatch... Perfect weight balance, superior sound muffling, acts as a heat shield and it works great keeping the OEM floor mats clean too....

I think I'm going with the custom cut down filled sleeping bag idea.... you just lay it on the floor...around the seat base, up and into the rear hatch... Perfect weight balance, superior sound muffling, acts as a heat shield and it works great keeping the OEM floor mats clean too....

Now why didn't I think of that?! LOL

Reactions: ddgermann
I am still running the PSS ZP's. My last Corvette had Eagle F1's so if I ever want to think about the C7 noise level, I just think about those... Either that or I jump in my diesel for a trip.... And there's always the choice of Track Mode exhaust tone.... much better than road noise... Or push harder on the go pedal and hear the screams from the passenger seat.... That drowns out ANYTHING ......:rolleyes:

Thanks Rruuff Day -I just put on PSS ZP's so it will be a while before thinking of replacements.... The go pedal is always a viable option :)

Last edited:
I added about 15 lbs of sound deadening material to my 2015 z51M7. Put it behind the seats, the floor in the back, around the tranny tunnel, in the rear wheel wells. It has helped. Changing the tires does reduce the noise from everything I have read.

After adding all that weight, I found a sound blocker that is very light, air bubbles in it instead of the heavy lead like material that mine has. I just don't remember the name of the product. Do your research before you make any decisions. If I could go back, I would have bought the lighter stuff.

Thanks tyho - Looks like you went to town on yours. Not sure I want to 'dismantle' half my car, so if anything, I will look at the alternatives. Weight is not a concern as Im not sure I will track the car. Did my share of 'hot laps' :)

Last edited:
I think I saw an option on Corvette Central for a sound mat application for the C7.

Funny thing for me, when I am enjoying my ride so much, any noise is not being noticed. My passenger would be one to complain the most and maybe she is just accepting it without saying anything ... I remember my 84 Camaro Z28 was brutal until I replaced the Goodyear Eagles that came with it. My guess is that is where I am going to start if the noise starts to become more apparent to me. It would normally be an issue when I would be using hands-free for phoning ... so far not. Good thing I can't go check it right now ... I'd hate to start an issue for me that has not even been noticed ....

Thanks SN-III. I guess I'm comparing it to much to the Jag. It was noisy only when it needed to be, albeit no where close on the performance level and I place it in the GT category as opposed to sports car

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
As I am sure you know, Corvette's are light and relatively inexpensive compared to many many many other performance cars out there. Sound deadening is one of the weight savings, as well as fancier liquid filled engine mounts, double pane windows, material choice, and lack of acoustic tuning/suppression between the cabin and suspension. So, you would be correct that Corvettes are a little louder on the inside. It's fine for some people and for others there are solutions to make it a bit quieter. A sound deadening package, from what you asked about, is a great way to cut down noise from what I've heard (or haven't heard?:D), and they don't add too much weight to the car, or enough weight to matter, unless you are trying to catch each tenth on a track.
As stated by others, changing to a more flexible, lighter tire (ei, non runflat) is also a solution to lessen noise in the cabin.

All good points Riley.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.