Had a guy recommend the following for tailgaters- Tap the brakes lightly twice-if no response - lock them up briefly
I believe rear enders used to come with an automatic careless charge. Still?
Now I just lift off the throttle til they pass
But absolutely love the sledge hammer on the bumper approach - where can I attach one to my C8?

I notice more in the C7 than I did in my C6 as well. Some I think just want a closer look... Some just tailgate anybody, and some want to piss you off so they can pull up beside and tempt you to drag away from the next light, or punch it when they go to pass you. I have had two instances where I was driving my diesel truck and was forced to ride the clutch (6 speed), drop two gears, punch the brake pedal and hit the throttle at the same time. First time I timed it as the driver was lifting a Timmies to her mouth...most of it ended up on the dash...lol... Second time was a tractor trailer (of all things).... he was right on my ass for a good mile when I punched the brake then the throttle and watched him fishtail to regain control. He caught up in a bit and passed me and tried to swipe me with the trailer but I had him figured and avoided that. Then we came to an off ramp that I was also exiting on and he stopped in the middle halfway up and got out. I also got out with my baseball bat and after giving me the finger, he climbed back in and kept going... lol... I tend to try and ignore tailgaters now in the Vette as I have no urge to have it rear ended.

So I have had my Corvette for 2 months now and have had a number of enjoyable cruises. I know what is under the hood and really have no reason or desire to prove it to anyone so I am quite content most of the time just to obey the speed limit. I will admit that on a few occasions when the road conditions were right and there was no traffic around and no cruisers as far as the eye could see I did take advantage of the opportunity to test out the mode selector to fully understand the implications of the software variations on ride and handling in each of the modes available. These few test were purely for scientific and technical evaluation - lol!
The vast majority of the time I drive at the speed limit on mainly well paved county roads, enjoying the scenery and the the little twists and turns. I know that the coffe will be just as hot or the ice cream just as cold when I get there and 5 minutes will not make any difference.
But since day one of owning this car I have been plagued by tail-gaters. At first I though it may have just been the optics of sitting in a lower car, but even wife and my neighbor who went on a cruise with me recently have commented on how close the car behind me was and maybe I should speed up and do the limit. When I point out that I am doing the limit or 5kmh over they can't believe people are that stupid and suggest maybe they are just trying to goad me into going faster. Now that may be the case but I feel no need to take the bait.
I have watched with alarm as people have passed me in a no passing zone going into a blind curve, worse still up a grade approaching a bridge again into a blind approach in a clearly marked no passing zone and the worst was the fool that passed on the inside shoulder with the sign indicating a hidden entrance ahead.
I could probably understand this tail-gating phenomenon if it was a fellow gear head with his Challenger or Camaro or Mustang or Porsche etc. But that is not the case.
It is almost always someone in a small puddle jumper like a Kia Rondo, Fiat 500, Chevy Spark etc etc. Although the fool who passed on the inside was driving a Honda mini-van with mom, dad and 3 kids inside and a canoe strapped to the roof.
So the question - Is it just me or do other Vette drivers experience the same foolishness?
As a new member to the vette Club with my C8 I have noticed some changes when driving the vette compared to driving my Buick ( go ahead and laugh ) quite a change I know. I fully agree with your points above. I have had scary times when a guy is filming my car and drifting in to my lane in the process. For the most part other sports car owners are respectful and we all know where the cars stand usually in terms of performance specs so no one gets stupid. The wild cards are the honda, subaru, or other mostly very young drivers of some older cars. The nice thing about being over 50, not much of that excites me. the car itself and the drive is all that matters. I find I am more vigilant on my road position and watch the cars around me carefully.

As a new member to the vette Club with my C8 I have noticed some changes when driving the vette compared to driving my Buick ( go ahead and laugh ) quite a change I know. I fully agree with your points above. I have had scary times when a guy is filming my car and drifting in to my lane in the process. For the most part other sports car owners are respectful and we all know where the cars stand usually in terms of performance specs so no one gets stupid. The wild cards are the honda, subaru, or other mostly very young drivers of some older cars. The nice thing about being over 50, not much of that excites me. the car itself and the drive is all that matters. I find I am more vigilant on my road position and watch the cars around me carefully.
Great points about being more aware! I don't mind being the "rabbit" when traveling slightly over the speed limit but the guys that try to follow/draft 8 feet behind me to save themselves a potential ticket are also really annoying. I try my best to avoid traveling in packs with 10 or 20 other vehicles around me. The stretch of highway I travel often between Canmore and Golden is particularly bad. Rental cars paying attention to the scenery rather than the road, pulling over without warning for photos or wildlife. I also find that other sports car owners, for the most part are more aware as well

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.