Mar 7, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2010 - base
Province
ON
Was looking to purchase a Borla "Touring" axel-back (no other mods) for my C6 to have a "slightly" richer/deeper sound over the stock OEM. Unfortunately, in talking with Borla it seems they have essentially discontinued this item. As I have looked everywhere for a used Touring to no avail, my only option now is the S Type 2. While it would be ideal to hear the exhaust in person, all I've heard so far are YouTube videos. Based on these, I'm concerned this exhaust may be too loud even just for cruising and under normal acceleration around town where most of my driving would be. Any feedback from those that have actually had experience with a S Type 2 would be appreciated......including any leads on a used Touring

While I don't have any direct experience with this Borla system on a C6 Corvette, I can tell you about a Magnaflow cat-back system on an 05 SSR which runs the same LS2 motor. I find the Magnaflow has a real nice bark/growl when I get on it, which I quite like. The important thing is that it is tolerable inside the vehicle especially when highway cruising or just loafing thru the gears around town.
My neighbour has the older Borla system on his C6, while it does sound sweet outside the vehicle, on the 2 occasions I have ridden in it, I found it had a drone inside the vehicle which gave me a bit of headache. Must have bothered him (or more likely his wife) as well, as I now understand he is going to install dynamat to quiet things down in the interior.
So I would not be worried about the outside noise of your new exhaust. That is why you are buying it. The bigger issue is the cabin noise or drone. But even if that turns out to be a problem you could always dynamat the interior.

Borla does have a reputation for drone... Some drivers that just short cruise or city drive don't seem to notice or mind but the day long runs could be irritating to some... especially it seems to the passenger (wife)... If you can afford it, go with the Corsa... No regrets on my C6 LS3 with the Corsa Sport... Throaty rumble at idle, bark when you want it... pops and rumbles on decompression and quiet cruising on the highway... The extra bucks are well worth it... JMO

I've had them all over the years (magnaflow, borla, corsa) and it really comes down to personal taste. Corsa is going on my C7 shortly, magnapacks I have on my roush, and my sierra has borla ATAK on it.

You have the sound figured out correctly, it goes (quietest to loudest) Tour - S Type - ATAK; from your post ATAK is not for you. I like it loud, but from how you talk I would say touring or S-type is more for you. S-type is not that bad unless you really get on it, then its definitely significantly louder than touring muffler.

It is true borla do have some drone, BUT this is significantly reduced when you purchase an authentic catback, which makes a huge difference in drone experienced. I do not have a C6 anymore so I cannot comment on your specific car, but the actual system does help with drone where a lot of people just throw the mufflers in which will lead to drone. It does pick up as your pickup speed, but it varies car to car and peoples tolerances. Like I said I have the ATAK mufflers on my truck, and I love it loud, and my wife drives it and does not bother her at all.

Lastly, the sound you are after. Corsa vs borla is much different. Exotic vs. muscle. Personally I prefer magnaflow over borla, but corsa is distinct in its own right. I prefer the sound of muscle on the mustang and the truck, but the C7 I love the corsa sound.

You really cannot go wrong with any of the choices, comes down to your preference for sound, decibel and budget

Last edited:
I have Borla attac and no drone. I have been told and read having the x pipe also reduces interior sound. Not sure where drone with Borla comes from as that’s one of the selling features no drone.
what I tell people it’s like buying stereo components, it’s your ears that decide not someone’s. I may think it is great and my friend may say no.
Bottom line get what you like. Quality is amazing with Borla and they stand behind it, that’s from personal experience.
Goodluck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.