Apr 27, 2018
London ON
VetteCoins
Car
99 Navy Metallic
Province
ON
New to the forum and hope to be new to my first Corvette very soon!

Test drove a 2005 base coupe after work tonight...I'm hooked.

In typical new guy fashion, I'm hoping to get some advice to make sure I don't overpay.

167000kms, very clean cosmetics, very clean interior, good rubber, brakes look good, Corsa exhaust.
Owner is asking $23k with safety.

Any comments are appreciated, looking forward to hanging out and chatting with everyone.

Welcome to CCF.
Good that you joined before the purchase as there are plenty of guys here with good advice on the C6. This is the first production year for the C6 so there may be some good advice coming your way. To me the price seems high as that’s a ton of Kms on a corvette but I’m no C6 expert.

Good luck and enjoy the forum and of course the corvette you end up driving. Remember to drive a few...
cheers
Derek

New to the forum and hope to be new to my first Corvette very soon!

Test drove a 2005 base coupe after work tonight...I'm hooked.

In typical new guy fashion, I'm hoping to get some advice to make sure I don't overpay.

167000kms, very clean cosmetics, very clean interior, good rubber, brakes look good, Corsa exhaust.
Owner is asking $23k with safety.

Any comments are appreciated, looking forward to hanging out and chatting with everyone.

Hello FightingIrish and welcome to the forum. Can't understand how you could get hooked on a Corvette after just a test drive... Ok... that was a joke....
In response to your question, that is a pretty top dollar for a base 2005 with that mileage (even if it is spring and the sun is shining). Derek is correct, that's a lot of miles and although the LS2 is a good engine, and the car maybe has been very well maintained, that car is likely getting on it's way to needing some high miles maintenance which could cost a chunk of change. I'm guessing the previous owner also recognizes this and that's why it's on the market.
That price point would be fairer for that car with 80,000 km on it. At the very least, if you are totally in love with this particular car, spend a few hundred first and have a very comprehensive mechanical inspection done, especially looking for items that will pass a safety but are showing signs of wear and will likely need attention soon. Engine (is it noisy on cold start (ticking or bottom end noise); puffs of blue exhaust on acceleration or deacceleration, especially under compression load; front end and steering components; tranny (if it's an auto) drop the pan and look for metal chunks and filings; hows the tranny fluid and engine oil smell... burnt smell... nasty colour? ; manual tranny...does it shift smooth, hits the gears without any roughness or noise, clutch pedal is firm and engages/disengages near the midpoint of travel; drive shaft or rear end play.... does it clunk going from forward to reverse...etc. etc.....

And as Derek also mentioned, look at and drive a few.... There's a lot of Corvettes in your region...

Good luck and we can't wait to see what you buy... remember... we want pictures .... :thumbs:

WELCOME and Best of Great Fortune to you

I'm not a used car buyer but I can relate to what may help a buyer of my used car very happy accepting my tough negotiation. I support my reselling demands with History .... It is always great to know owner(s), service history, and such documents. It may really help when paying any questionable "top dollar" amount as the Car obviously has to be one that you really want to buy.

It may kinda-sorta relate to why we "accept" to paying so much for the New Corvette ... knowing the History of it somewhat calms us down in that regard ... doesn't it ... as we do end up following through with our wheelbarrow full of money.

Last year, I was a part in comparing near identical equipped 2007 Z06 as one was for sale at a Dealership.
The Dealership ended up getting $48k with gst with an odometer reading of about 36000km - one owner
however the outside body heavily rock chipped (visual History). The Owner of the Z06 looking at this comparison has his Corvette at 100000km with awesome body condition and would be asking $40k in trade (no gst). At the end of the day it was thought that the buyer of that Dealership Z06 paid dearly because of really wanting the low km (I also think a 3 month dealer limited km powertrain warranty was involved too). The owner of the 100000km Z06 walked away from trading his car because of the body condition. I tell this story so that, although important to know they are Z06, you see the dollar amounts (condition and odometer) that were being compared.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.