Policy's coming up for renewal so the shopping starts. Got several quotes for the ZR1. The best quote I got for it is $900/year with 4 year replacement value added (OPCF 43 endorsement). The kicker is that because of the value of the car when I purchased it new 2 years ago they can write the policy only with 5% of the value of the car for a deductible (that basically means $10k if I make a claim of any kind).

So crazy??? Would you go for something like this with a new car that's pushing 6 figures?

The other places have higher premiums but more down to earth deductibles ($1k to $2k) but they want you to d/load some stupid app to monitor how you drive your car. Apparently they don't give you the POS OBD thingie that you plug into your car anymore to see how you drive. Bascially you can give me insurance for free and I will tell you to take your f-ing app or OBD whatever and stick it up your *bleep*. That's all I'll say about that. No monitoring with the $900/year policy with the stupid high deductible.

Tony

I am $1300 a year. $500 deductible, replacement value. $250 deductible on comprehensive. No app/no monitoring.
Good rates!!!! Unfortunately in the GTA area NO ONE will be insuring my ZR1 at those #'s it's just not happening here. I just checked where you are in Alberta and I think if you were in the big cities in Alberta (Edmonton, Calgary) you wouldn't be paying those rates on an identical policy on your car.
"Burner phone" for the app? Keep it on your night stand. :Woot:
Thought of that too, but I think they know this and have some kind of workaround for that.
Try Hagerty Insurance.
Check below thread post #30.

I just redid another quote with them and it was cheaper now down to $4300/year.

Be very aware the the cheapest insurance is not usually the best choice. Do your homework and know that moving companies from year to year is usually not a good practice. Companies still do reward loyalty. A few hundred dollars a year cheaper is not worth it when you have the fight of your life if you have to make a claim. Also investigate a Blanket Liability rider policy if you are a homeowner. Drop your auto liability to the minimum and pick up broader liability coverage at usually lower cost overall. If it's available in Ontario the Blanket Liability gives much broader coverage for home and auto. With litigations increasing all the time the liability is your biggest threat to your financial stability.

I'm well aware of that fact and as much as I would like to stay with 1 company for longer periods of time when renewal time comes even with a perfect driving record they find ways to jack your premium up from the year previous.

For the ZR1 this year I would've stay with the company I was with the past 2 years when I got the car. A little back story: at the time I purchased the ZR I had my C6 Z06 and Shelby + 2 DD cars and the home with RBC. Aviva took over from RBC insurance and when it was renewal time before the ZR1 purchase they almost didn't want to insure the 2 summer rides because they were over 500hp (some new rule that Aviva implemented), however being with RBC insurance for like 7 years with no claims and everything they made an exception. Now when I bought the ZR1 they would not insure that car so I had to go elsewhere for insurance (just for that car, we stayed with Aviva with the 2 DD cars and house).

Last year the company that insured the ZR got bought up by Intact, so 2021 I got a renewal from them and again with no claims and perfect driving yada yada yada they put my premium up another 400 bucks. Earlier that year I moved my house and 2 cars to that insurance company and since those policies don't renew till next month my broker was able to move the ZR onto that policy, I cancelled the Intact one and that extended my coverage over this winter (car was being stored so costs was minimal). So now with 1 month to go till the house and 2 car policy is done Intact sends me a renewal and again a substantial increase so why I'm shopping.

I don't believe in ever paying out more money for something and not get anything for it, so as much as I like to stay with 1 provider if another wants my business and can insure my property for less I'm going to move. Moving from 1 insurance company to another year to year doesn't count against you ALA you do it properly with enough notice and before the new policy kicks in. Also make sure if you pay monthly that all premiums are paid before you cancel and never do any kind of NSF with an insurance company when payment is due that's your ticket to getting blacklisted from getting covered.

Last edited:
I had no issue with Aviva during the 6-7 years I was with them with all the cars (before the ZR1) and the house. Then again I didn't make any claims and just gave them money each month every month for 72-84 months to have the little pink piece of paper before I left them and went with the current company that will become Intact next month. They lost me and all my business when I got the speech about not insuring my new acquisition that I bought in 2019.

Intact I know suck ***

I had no issue with Aviva during the 6-7 years I was with them with all the cars (before the ZR1) and the house. Then again I didn't make any claims and just gave them money each month every month for 72-84 months to have the little pink piece of paper before I left them and went with the current company that will become Intact next month. They lost me and all my business when I got the speech about not insuring my new acquisition that I bought in 2019.

Intact I know suck ***
Aviva downgraded myself and my wife to liability only due to "driving record". That record was two speeding tickets in 10 years we were insured by them.

• Wow
Reactions: OL Yeller
I have been with Wawanesa for 42 years. My farm and vehicles. One car break in, 3 big hail damage claims on vehicles and 1 on the house, 2 house break ins and theft, and one sewer backed-up basement. Including my tractor, skid steer and ATV, that's 8 vehicles. During the insurance increase years gone by, mine went up somewhat but not out of line for increases. Last three years it has gone down every year. Have never had a claim problem with them.

I have had very little interaction with my car insurance provider of the years. Summer of 2021 someone did a hit and run on my F150. Over $3K in damage, made me sick because the person was caught on camera, she looked at the damage to her car and sped away. I was dealing with Intact and honestly they were great to deal with, my contact with Intact went out of her way to make sure all went well. It did.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.