Feb 5, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2022 Corvette Z51
Province
ON
My 2022 C8 arrived at the dealership in Ontario on Monday. When I contacted my insurance company (Allstate) to add this vehicle to our existing policy they could not do it because the 2022 VIN was not in their system and they subsequently told me that IBC (Insurance Bureau of Canada) had not released the VIN so they could not set up coverage until the VIN was released by IBC.

CAA has told me they can add the VIN themselves to their system and that may give me a solution to setting up the insurance.

Has anybody here been able to set up new insurance for a 2022 C8. I know mine was one of the first 2022 orders and arrived in Ontatio a week after it came off the line, so maybe I am the first to run into this problem. If anybody has successfully set up insurance for a 2022 can you let me know which insurance company was able to do this.

In the meantime my vehicle is plated and sitting at the dealership waiting to be driven to its new home.

My 2022 C8 arrived at the dealership in Ontario on Monday. When I contacted my insurance company (Allstate) to add this vehicle to our existing policy they could not do it because the 2022 VIN was not in their system and they subsequently told me that IBC (Insurance Bureau of Canada) had not released the VIN so they could not set up coverage until the VIN was released by IBC.

CAA has told me they can add the VIN themselves to their system and that may give me a solution to setting up the insurance.

Has anybody here been able to set up new insurance for a 2022 C8. I know mine was one of the first 2022 orders and arrived in Ontatio a week after it came off the line, so maybe I am the first to run into this problem. If anybody has successfully set up insurance for a 2022 can you let me know which insurance company was able to do this.

In the meantime my vehicle is plated and sitting at the dealership waiting to be driven to its new home.
BTW, You can call the IBC yourself. I did when CIBC lied to me and I got the truth from them.

BTW, You can call the IBC yourself. I did when CIBC lied to me and I got the truth from them.
We have contacted IBC and are waiting for answers from them, but not hopeful it will speed up the process of releasing VINs or whatever it is that has to happen.

With regards to Allstate we have been with them for something like 20 years and have always found their rates reasonable - never found anything enough lower to make it worth changing. Had a very good rate on my C7 Grand Sport. Normally when I change vehicles, which averages about once a year (we have 3 vehicles), I just call them up and have a new pink slip e-mailed the same day. Was not expecting this to be different.

• Agree
Reactions: pozi240
This strikes me as odd. You'd think vehicle insurers would deal with (for example) collector cars that don't have a "VIN in the system" and find a way around that to effect insurance. I wonder if talking to the underwriter manager in your Allstate location, might help find a solution. The bottom line is Allstate is in the business to sell insurance, you own a vehicle and you're willing to pay a premium. Even if it means entering information manually into their system, you'd think they'd find a way, especially for a 20 year customer. And just use the 2021 rates for the time being? Plus it's not unusual to have a 2022 MY vehicle, delivered and on the road in 2021...

Sorry to hear about your conundrum; let us know how it works out and good luck!

Reactions: Murray20c8
We have contacted IBC and are waiting for answers from them, but not hopeful it will speed up the process of releasing VINs or whatever it is that has to happen.

With regards to Allstate we have been with them for something like 20 years and have always found their rates reasonable - never found anything enough lower to make it worth changing. Had a very good rate on my C7 Grand Sport. Normally when I change vehicles, which averages about once a year (we have 3 vehicles), I just call them up and have a new pink slip e-mailed the same day. Was not expecting this to be different.
Perhaps it was your agent. I got a huge discount by going with Statefarm instead. About 30% lower. Allstate just refused to bargain at all, so they lost my business.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Allstate! Run, don't walk to almost anybody else! When they pull crap like that they'd be just wonderful if you actually had a claim?

Clearly some people here have had bad experiences with Allstate. Ours have been good. We have home +auto with them. Had a basement water flood last winter as a result of the reduction fitting on the water main inlet line before the meter failing. We were lucky that we heard the noise of the water spraying under pressure and reacted quickly, thus saving much of the finished basement area from more extensive flooding. The Allstate response was quick and highly professional with excellent contractors there the next day to clean up, dry out, and repair. During covid we were very comforatble with the professionalism of the contractors sent out to deal with our problem. We definitely got our money's worth from of our Allstate home insurance policy. However, I would move without hesitation if rates were significantly better with somebody else (i.e. 20%+reduction - I'm not moving for a 10% saving). I check periodically and , for us, rates are not enough better elsewhere on either home or auto to switch. I will wait and see if Allstate come through on the C8 insurance now that the VIN is "in the system". I may end up with a new insurer on this vehicle.

Guys I work with Auto Insurance company’s every day as an appraiser. A word of advice I give to all my friends is don’t just choose an insurance company for cheap rates. Choose one that will work for you instead of against you when god forbid you have to make a claim.

Without a doubt the two worst insurance company’s when it comes to making an auto claim are Allstate and Statefarm. The clear leader among all of them is Chubb. They will treat you like gold when you need them but they are not cheap. You get what you pay for.

We got an impressively quick response from IBC who said they had added my VIN to the VINLink database used by the insurers. Hopefully that will solve my problem.
IBC adding my VIN to the VINLink database did the trick. Was able to get the insurance issued today and picked up the car this afternoon. Very nice drive home from Cobourg on a beautiful fall day. Now I just have to figure out how everything works. Nothing like my C7 Grand Sport.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.