Aug 2, 2010
ancaster, ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1988 coupe

Hi everyone i have a question i would love to have answered please. I was told by a mutual freind that if i increase my timing on my 88 Corvette it would give more HP!!! Has anyone heard of this? and is this true, any comments or experience would greatly be appreciated, thanks guys...:canada:

Leave your timing be unless you're also looking at a custom chip tune. Even then gains will be minimal. I had a GTA and did every bolt on mod and trick done to mine and never saw any serious gains. Save your money for long tube headers and a cam.

Yes it is. Just turn your distributor and run high octain fuel. You can wire in a knob so you could adjust the timing your self at your own convenience. Get fuel from the airport for maximum effect. But beware without the fuel, all you'll get is knocking and pinging.

^^^^ correct as it may be, proceed with caution. The tops of those 25 year old pistons will be subject to damage over time if you go to far... All for the possibility of 10-12 horsepower!!!

As HLN and CB have said: Not worth a few ponies gain or the risk.
If you mess it up and don't adjust properly, you may have excess timing and risk pinging or detonation or too little resulting in poor performance.

All you need do is make sure it's set to spec. and leave it while running decent gas.
That's best left to a pro if you haven't got a timing light and experience.

I'd suggest an intake then headers for bolt-ons.

G/L with your mods.
C.

Bump it up to 8 and then 10 degrees BTDC and run high octane fuel....you should not get any ping with it being set there...test it on both settings. You will notice much better throttle response.

I have my 86 set at 10 with no issues....

Hi everyone i have a question i would love to have answered please. I was told by a mutual freind that if i increase my timing on my 88 Corvette it would give more HP!!! Has anyone heard of this? and is this true, any comments or experience would greatly be appreciated, thanks guys...:canada:

I had the same HP questions with my C4. It costs quite a bit of money to make more power on a C4.
I wanted at least 100 HP more so I bought a C5. Still miss my 1990 Triple Black Vert.:canada:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.