Are you looking for integrated nav or Android Auto/Apple Car Play? Crutchfield.ca is a great source as they have reviews, installation instructions, and point you to the mounting accessories for your car ie. the wiring harness adaptor and the dash adaptor.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
There is a Car Audio shop nearby where they sell Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer...they did an install for me on the 2011 GS which was wonderful. It was a Kenwood unit, and although it did work just fine, it was a tad unwieldy from an ergonomics standpoint. I will check out the Alpine...thanks.

Reactions: DaytonaSunset_05
I Installed a Pioneer DMH-1500NEX last year before the trip down south. Works well but feel the Kenwood I had prior had better sound. Had to upgrade because the phone part of the stereo failed. The Pioneer does not have CD/DVD capability as with the era of phones and digital music one does not have to carry around a pile of discs.

I just put in a Sony XAV-AX1000. Bought everything from Crutchfield except the RP5-GM11 adapter because they were (and continue to be) backordered.

The unit is a touchscreen with bluetooth and CarPlay. I also ordered a backup camera from eBay that works perfect with it and I did that install this weekend. Installation was a breeze. All in (including backup camera) I was around $550. Visions in town quoted me $1000+tax installed (yikes)!.

I wanted a Kenwood or Pioneer, but I hate the "pushbuttons" for volume. The Sony has a knob.

@ncnmra That's great, glad it worked out. Too bad Crutchfield didn't have stock on the adapter. Did you still get a RP5-GM11 from elsewhere and how did it work? I get labour is expensive but that quote from Visions seems like a lot for the workmanship you'll get.

@Creedence85 yes, I bought the RP5-GM11 from Amazon, I think you gave me the heads up that it was on sale. Crutchfield had the best deal by far ($114) with the discount of purchasing the head unit, but Amazon had it on sale for $128. Overall, I'm happy I pulled the trigger, as Crutchfield is still backordered.

The RP5-GM11 works great, and the steering wheel controls work great out of the box. I had some issues with the Sony unit at first, but I think they may be solved that now I have the reverse camera installed (I didn't have the camera originally).

Reactions: Creedence85
@Creedence85 yes, I bought the RP5-GM11 from Amazon, I think you gave me the heads up that it was on sale. Crutchfield had the best deal by far ($114) with the discount of purchasing the head unit, but Amazon had it on sale for $128. Overall, I'm happy I pulled the trigger, as Crutchfield is still backordered.

The RP5-GM11 works great, and the steering wheel controls work great out of the box. I had some issues with the Sony unit at first, but I think they may be solved that now I have the reverse camera installed (I didn't have the camera originally).

OK OK just WHEN will you stop improving your C6??? You fixed the console latch, "MacGyvered" a front licence plate, ordered a new rear spoiler, put on new rims, and who knows what else you've done or plan to do. Have you considered counselling?? I can only hope that when you're done, you'll offer it to me for the same price you paid...assuming you decide to sell it at some point and I don't yet have my long awaited C8... lol. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Dik and RockyPM
OK OK just WHEN will you stop improving your C6??? You fixed the console latch, "MacGyvered" a front licence plate, ordered a new rear spoiler, put on new rims, and who knows what else you've done or plan to do. Have you considered counselling?? I can only hope that when you're done, you'll offer it to me for the same price you paid...assuming you decide to sell it at some point and I don't yet have my long awaited C8... lol. :)
Hahaha. Someone mentioned something about obsession with the Corvette. Yeah, I've got the bug. I'm neurotic, and treat it as my hobby/outlet.

Unless you're willing to add 13% (HST) and $1900 for the shipping, then I won't sell it for "the price I paid" HAHA.

I'm considering Z51 Sway Bars, as well as Bilstien Shocks. Oh yeah, I also have a dual mode exhaust from a Z06 in my garage waiting to get installed.

Reactions: Creedence85
I'm considering Z51 Sway Bars, as well as Bilstien Shocks. Oh yeah, I also have a dual mode exhaust from a Z06 in my garage waiting to get installed.
Sway bars and shocks would be a good upgrade if wanting to upgrade the handling. The internet will tell you that the Z51 is too harsh for street driving but in the cars I looked at I thought it was great for a sports car and after having my car for 2 years have found it to be a great balance between street performance and compliance. You're not going to be comfortable on a really rough road but it's compliant enough to soak up bumps and stay fairly settled. I think the critiques are from those who think they want a sports car but really they want more of a comfortable GT car.

Dual mode exhaust is a great upgrade too, especially if you like exhaust sound because the stock mufflers are too quiet. Many aftermarket mufflers have drone, so the dual mode gives you the best of both worlds, and also lets you have it loud when you want but also not ruin people's day when driving through neighbourhoods. I looked around for used dual mode but couldn't find any so did a tedious amount of work for a non droning aftermarket setup.

Hahaha. Someone mentioned something about obsession with the Corvette. Yeah, I've got the bug. I'm neurotic, and treat it as my hobby/outlet.

Unless you're willing to add 13% (HST) and $1900 for the shipping, then I won't sell it for "the price I paid" HAHA.

You may have a bit of fabrication work to install the Z06 exhaust. If I remember correctly from mine, the Z06 pipes are 3 inch diameter right back to the mufflers

@Rruuff Day is right, pipe diameters are different. I did the conversion and the fellow I bought the Z06 axlebackm from actually cut off the bigger pipes and welded on the smaller diameter to fit our standard cars. If you do it them add the mil2 wild switch that can be programmed to the built in buttons on the visor if you have them.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Garmin.

I have installed a couple of Kenwood units in my GM company trucks over the years. Streaming, satellite radio, built-in equalizer, sub-woofer amp, USB, yeah, they can do it all too but the main reason why I went with Kenwood is the Garmin GPS. My phone is not insight when I drive. Back then I had Blackberry so all apps were totally operational via the Kenwood (even the OEM units) interface. I never had to "start" or "close" an app with my BB in my hand. It was truly seamless. (Android can learn lots from BB ....)

Over many years I was travelling across the western provinces on business visiting customer sites, offices, small towns, etc. Then add in thousands of kilometers of highways and back-country gravel roads for personal purposes; exploration, camping, hiking, photography, river fishing I always found the Garmin accurate and the simplest navigation system to use.

That said, I did experience a really serious issue with one Kenwood unit. It had a fatal memory error which rendered the entire unit useless. I had it repaired under warranty but that was a painful experience.

Crazy to say this but if I was to upgrade my (now long gone) C6 it was going to be to a Kenwood unit.

:Cheers2:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.