Sep 10, 2020
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
69 C3, 21 C8
Good afternoon folks,

I bought a set of Illuminated door sill plates from Kip Scott parts. I put them together and installed them, the passenger side works great, the driver's side doesn't work. When I take it off of the car it works, as soon as I put it back in it shuts off and won't come on. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance1
Mike

Based upon advice from another Forum, I did something a bit different when installing my illuminated sill plates: you should attach another strip of aluminum "plumbing tape" to the underside of your door and over the "factory-supplied" tape; make it wider than factory and longer too, so there's an ample surface to transmit the electrical ground signal both when opening and closing your doors. Then double and triple check your battery install to ensure the battery is placed the correct side up and it's secured by the small "prongs", plus pressed in, all the way when you're finishing the install.

I followed that advice and my sills work flawlessly.

You're in good company: others have installed them and had nothing but problems but I think the pointers above should do the trick. Since these plates are powered by their own batteries, it has nothing to do with power supplied by the vehicle itself. That assumes you're talking about the optional sill GM OEM plates which were ++ rare and hard to get and GM discontinued offering them for the 2020 and 2021 MY's. Good news if they're back in stock, since I think this is a neat feature and attracted a lot of comments from people using my car.

One further piece of advice: I had my PPF installer put a layer of XPEL Ultimate over each door sill, after I put the illuminated plates in. I was worried in particular about the passenger side getting ++ scuffed from shoes since passengers aren't as careful going into/out of the car. My installer installed a wide strip of PPF over the entire sill base, then cut out around the edges of the illuminated sill plate, so the plate itself could be removed in future for battery replacement. Hope this helps out and let us know if following the above advice, gets your plates working. Good luck!

Reactions: Mike B
One further piece of advice: I had my PPF installer put a layer of XPEL Ultimate over each door sill, after I put the illuminated plates in. I was worried in particular about the passenger side getting ++ scuffed from shoes since passengers aren't as careful going into/out of the car. My installer installed a wide strip of PPF over the entire sill base, then cut out around the edges of the illuminated sill plate, so the plate itself could be removed in future for battery replacement. Hope this helps out and let us know if following the above advice, gets your plates working. Good luck!
Or buy and apply. XPEL Clear Universal Door Sill Guard

Last edited:
I just called Kipp Scott and spoke with Graham and to my surprise, they received some C8 illuminated sill plates at the end of July and still had one last set. I've purchased it for my (hoped for 2022 delivered) Z06. So perhaps (?) there's still a shortage of sill plates or perhaps (?) they're just not that popular so they're readily available elsewhere. I know I waited over 6 months and felt lucky to get a set for my Stingray. I may regret the purchase if new illuminated sill plates come out with a Z06 logo. If so, I should be able to sell the Stingray set to a friend. The C8 DCT filters are still on back order which isn't good news for those who need to replace theirs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.