Before doing anything else, try turning the steering wheel left and right as you try to take the key out. Try all the simple stuff first. Perhaps spraying some WD 40 in where you can. The pins in the lock cylinder can get died out, dirty and stick. Just some simple thoughts. I've always worked on the kiss system. Keep It Simple Stupid. I try all the simple things first. I know a guy who had his motorcycle half torn apart before realizing that the gas tank was empty.

ya saw that thanx after i posted..im just curious though nothing was said about an interlock in the systom..dont know if it has one but pretty sure it does..trying to check this but have no tech mans for the car or shop books...thanx for the reply

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Before doing anything else, try turning the steering wheel left and right as you try to take the key out. Try all the simple stuff first. Perhaps spraying some WD 40 in where you can. The pins in the lock cylinder can get died out, dirty and stick. Just some simple thoughts. I've always worked on the kiss system. Keep It Simple Stupid. I try all the simple things first. I know a guy who had his motorcycle half torn apart before realizing that the gas tank was empty.

been there done all that twice...it has something to do with the shifter i believe..the button on the shifter will not pop up when put in park...i know the two are somehow connected or related....thanx for the reply..new to this site..hope with everyones help we can fix this...this may cost me a lot of beer...

hello new here from nova scotia..i have a 86 that i can not get the key out of the ignition.goes in park but button on shifter does not pop up..will buy beer for help

This may be related to your UTD (Universal Theft Deterrent) or VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) but as your button is not popping up on your shifter you may be lucky and have a safety switch failure.

I cannot post links to other forums here but you should do some reading as this a pretty common issue with your model of Corvette. You should be able to identify the problem pretty quick by some of the detailed tests I just read.

I'm too far way for drinking your beer but... I'm having one anyway.

Get the damn thing fixed and buy me one at MITM. :Cheers2:

good luck,

Derek

Hello Chuckies

I have found a ton of info, at times, by just "googling it".
Try a search for 1986 Corvette Stuck Key or whatever. Ya just might get lucky, but do keep in mind to keep it simple, because it probably is.
I'll have a beer here at home, no charge to you.

Good Luck.

Hey Chuck,

In tune with the kiss principle, have you removed the shifter knob and cleaned things up and lubricated the parts? If you look on the shift knob, probably on the front side lower portion of the handle, there should be a flat horizontal piece of steel. That is the pin that holds the knob on. Use needle nose pliers to pull it straight out, and then the knob should come right off the top of the shifter. The inside of the button can get gummed up with all kinds of gross gunk from dead skin and oil, but it could be a weak spring or a lack of lubrication.

This is quite likely to be what your problem is, as it is not technically in 'park' until that button pops up, so it won't unlock the key.

hello new here from nova scotia..i have a 86 that i can not get the key out of the ignition.goes in park but button on shifter does not pop up..will buy beer for help
Hi Chuckles, happy to help a fellow Blue Noser out, I had that issue before also, the leather boot at the base of the shifter lever sometimes gets bound up in front of the lever. It happened to me after I took the center console out, and put it back in. Try clear any obstruction stopping the lever from its full travel, and trying to put it in park and shut down. I also giggled the key while I was putting vehicle back in park. Seemed to work as I got my key out after panicking lol.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
This may be related to your UTD (Universal Theft Deterrent) or VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) but as your button is not popping up on your shifter you may be lucky and have a safety switch failure.

I cannot post links to other forums here but you should do some reading as this a pretty common issue with your model of Corvette. You should be able to identify the problem pretty quick by some of the detailed tests I just read.

I'm too far way for drinking your beer but... I'm having one anyway.

Get the damn thing fixed and buy me one at MITM. :Cheers2:

good luck,

Derek
Hey Eric!! They got beer!!!

Seems to me we had another thread on here within the last year of a similar problem and the ignition being re and re'd.

Can't recall who it was.

Probably me. My issue was that it would turn on but i could not turn it off due to the key cylinder being gooched. I had to take apart the steering wheel and the signal switch gizmo just to access the key cylinder. like the OP my shifting and everything else was fine. i still have the old key cylinder with the key stuck in it for a trophy.

unfortunatley i dont have the videos anymore for some reason.

My thread may have some helpful info for you. find it here HELP V.A.T. key stuck in ignition in run position

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.