BANNED
May 3, 2017
Calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2007 LeMans blue Z06
Province
AB
Do you let the prospective buyer drive it ? I was approached today with an inquiry,not unlike a clown at work 2 weeks ago but someone I take more serious.

After the usual,is it for sale? How many Kms? How long have I had it? Do I like it? And,why am I selling it? Lol Buddy,you approached me ! I'm only selling it if the price makes sense for me,my bank and my chances of jumping into a 10-13 before August.

This gentleman,Gord,57,married asked if he made an offer this week and i accepted,would I let him drive the car? Has asked me if it's ok to do a loop which would be approx 20/25 kms.

Myself,i didn't get to drive mine nor did I ask. I knew ( sort of ) what this car was all about to some extent and I wanted one. So,as I sit here tonight,what would you do?

I wouldn't buy a car if I couldn't drive it. I just sold my C3 and I allowed a test drive.
I went along for the ride. Worked out well. My buyer said he looked at other vettes and walked away after he couldn't drive them. If ones motivated to sell I think a test drive is a must.

Allow test drive-----Yes.
I agree with Rick..I wouldn't buy if I didn't get to test drive.
If you establish that the person is serious it maybe could be his car at the point of the test drive.
He/She's not going to abuse his/her possible future car ?
You may mention, and agree, any damage would be their responsibility.
Maybe even have a waiver form..

Graham

he is to bring a copy of his insurance and a letter saying his insurance covers a loss,
and some proof of bank load or something to show he is arranging the money

then a drive I did not get to drive a corvette at the 3 guys I tried to buy from,

I would like you to sell the car, has he ridden in a corvette before maybe it would be good for you to show him the ropes,

if that enough, what is going to be his reason for refusing to buy after a test drive,

more questions but hey I am trying to help Jeff

I agree. I drove my C6 before I bought it. And although I didn't drive my C7, I did drive a C7. I would advise that you trust your gut to some extent... and hopefully it will tell you whether the guy is a wingnut or not... so yes...if you want to sell, let him drive and go with him ...

I would take him for a drive. If he wanted to make a serious offer on the car with a cash deposit I would let him drive it but with me sitting beside him. It is awkward but I would not want someone to go out and thrash the crap out of my car then say, there are a few others I want to look at BS. Either he/she wants it or they don't.

Good luck with it Mike.

Reactions: Brent08
I would take him for a drive. If he wanted to make a serious offer on the car with a cash deposit I would let him drive it but with me sitting beside him. It is awkward but I would not want someone to go out and thrash the crap out of my car then say, there are a few others I want to look at BS. Either he/she wants it or they don't.

Good luck with it Mike.
This is what I'm leaning towards Black. Having this guy give me some sort of deposit. No way am I letting him and his wife go on their own. My first thoughts were to a " Tim Bosma " type scenario ( God rest his soul ) I went through a similar situation selling an 06 WRX STI. That car was winter parked and 2 guys aggressively trying to get it out of my garage to go for a drive in March/11. Just a very uncomfortable,stressful situation overall. This guy seems legit,I think. Supposed to meet him today. But,gut feeling says keep my car.

Been there two times as "the Seller" ...
First and above all, you have to me committed to sell without wavering. Second is your bottom line on the selling price.
Then I would suggest allowing a run with you in the passenger seat
(as I think the next vehicle rounding the corner will be an ambulance to take care of your anxiety if you stayed behind).
Conditions of the test run is an expectation of (or agreed) offer price from the buyer (prior to and subject to the drive).
If you are committed to sell and if the buyer offer is where you are, then the test drive should sell itself.
Once the test drive is done, and the buyer wants to follow through with your agreed price, deal is done.
Remorse may happen a day later but the gut in the moment of selling will most often always be correct.
(if any negotiating happens after the test drive ... there must be a reasonable and mutual understanding)

Guy shows up. We talk. He gets in drivers seat. Oh,it's a manual. I haven't driven one of these in years. Stalls it. Gets it going. Stalls it. Gets going. Grind em buddy !!

Ok ok. Stop the f&$"inf car. Now. Get out.

Nah,I didn't drive it before I bought it. Wanna drive one? Find someone else's ! Shaganappi don't let you drive a new one unless your committed to buy it. Just got off the phone with the sales manager.

Guy shows up. We talk. He gets in drivers seat. Oh,it's a manual. I haven't driven one of these in years. Stalls it. Gets it going. Stalls it. Gets going. Grind em buddy !!

Ok ok. Stop the f&$"inf car. Now. Get out.

Nah,I didn't drive it before I bought it. Wanna drive one? Find someone else's ! Shaganappi don't let you drive a new one unless your committed to buy it. Just got off the phone with the sales manager.
The guy was expecting an automatic transmission? You'd think he would have confirmed that initially.

So, will we be seeing you tomorrow night at Windermere Home Depot?

Reactions: MikeysZ06
sorry it did not work out, did you agree on a price before he tried to drive it,

did you mention he could try to drive a new one then bring you the money

if he has not ridden in a corvette before then maybe the passenger seat at the beginning would have been good enough to firm up a number and have the cheque in his hand before he tried to drive it. Jeff

With newer cars, electronics can be a problem that rears it ugly head after a few miles of driving or even on a cold start. I'd want to go on a 25-30 mile run from a cold start just be get an idea about the over all car. I'd be going with anyone wanting to drive my car and if I thought that they were joy riders, I would be doing the driving. I rode with the owner when trying out our car. Riding you can listen better for any odd noises and get a sense of how the car has been driven. With our car, the guy never took it over 2500 rpm. Didn't want to abuse it, and he was dead serious. We were fortunate. It was the first we looked at. The price was right where we wanted, the colour was good and with 13,300 miles on the odometer, it was like buying a brand new car. He cleaned the engine with Q-tips.

For what it's worth, I just sold my '05 Z51. I took the buyer and his friend for test drives (with me driving). We discussed him driving after receiving a deposit, but the buyer was comfortable with how I drove it, and he didn't drive it for the first time until he took delivery.

When I bought mine, the owner let me drive with him in the car, however, I drove 2,400km to go look at it, we had an agreed price, and I had a certified cheque in my hand when meeting him. My first drive was straight to the DMV to transfer the title. :D

I would let him drive it under your direct supervision. I made the mistake once of letting someone test drive my vehicle without me being with them. They didn't tell me it was for their 16 year old son and as soon as they were out of my site they gave him my car. 3 hours later I tracked him down, he had the car full of his 16 year old buddies and was doing donuts at an intersection. When I got the car back they had spilled pop in it and had been smoking in it. I knew these people and at that time considered them friends. Not saying that would happen to you, but taught me an important lesson.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.