Concours

Casual User
You're 5
Jul 8, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2021 Conver
I don’t like the noise that the front tire are doing at very low speed in tight corner.....I won’t keep that car like that..of course not..is there another solution than changing that car (This is my third Corvette)

Is there anybody who replace the wheel and tires and are satisfied..... If so what size of wheel and tires are recommanded ...or is there any other solution that will help me keeping that car. I only have 2000 kil.

PS . sorry for the bad English. I am very dissapointed whit that car...

Salut Concours;
Let us see some pictures of your Vette!
It is right in the GM manual that the tires will skip at low speeds. Nothing wrong with that. I mentioned it to my local GM garage and they said it was because of the curve attack setup. Believe it or not, the Vette is a racing car even in it's mildest form such as I have. I only notice it when leaving a driveway where it is basically a 90 degree slow speed turn. Other than that maybe the occasional parking spot maneuver. If you are pulling in to traffic spin the rear tires to swing the rear end in to alignment with traffic flow and there is no front tire skip even at slow speeds like a stop sign.
Tu reste dans quel coin?

I don’t like the noise that the front tire are doing at very low speed in tight corner.....I won’t keep that car like that..of course not..is there another solution than changing that car (This is my third Corvette)

Is there anybody who replace the wheel and tires and are satisfied..... If so what size of wheel and tires are recommanded ...or is there any other solution that will help me keeping that car. I only have 2000 kil.

Sorry you aren't happy with your car Concours. I assume you are talking about the wheel hop you experience in a tight low speed turn. It is a result of the Ackerman principle and has been explained here many times. There is nothing wrong with the wheels, tires or the alignment. It's a geometric principal common to street/track cars. Here. Have a read on some of the posted info.

Question - C7 Tight Turns

Hi Concours:

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal and is common to all Corvette C7's as well as previous series. It's called the Ackermann effect and is the result of the steering geometry combined with the wide tires that are installed on our cars. It is not detrimental to the operation of the vehicle.

You can read about it here: Ackermann steering geometry - Wikipedia.

It's also explained in the owner's manual:

" Tire Chatter/Hop When driving at slow speeds and in very tight turns, the vehicle may have tire chatter/hop. This is normal and the vehicle does not require service. "

Changing tires and / or wheels will not eliminate this minor annoyance.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Ross

I have the same situation (probably the same as everyone here) and I tried to modify the alignement, I used the base model alignement spec on my zr1 (c6) and no change so don't do a wheel alignement for that reason. All my friends in the local corvette club experience the same situation. My friend had a porsche and now a jaguar and it does it on those cars to but less as these cars have narrower tires in the front. Only solution as AxeZ06 already stated, go faster :)

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann

Suggest you learn more about your car before you spend money for nothing. I’m sure if it could be; the car is disappointed in you as well. 😂
As stated above... unless you have a wheel hub or bearings failing causing grinding and popping... your car is operating normally with the track aggressive front end geometry.

Hopefully it’s the geometry and not the other.

Good luck 👍

Salut Concours;
Let us see some pictures of your Vette!
It is right in the GM manual that the tires will skip at low speeds. Nothing wrong with that. I mentioned it to my local GM garage and they said it was because of the curve attack setup. Believe it or not, the Vette is a racing car even in it's mildest form such as I have. I only notice it when leaving a driveway where it is basically a 90 degree slow speed turn. Other than that maybe the occasional parking spot maneuver. If you are pulling in to traffic spin the rear tires to swing the rear end in to alignment with traffic flow and there is no front tire skip even at slow speeds like a stop sign.
Tu reste dans quel coin?
Je demeure à Repentigny.....

Even If the noise is normal..........i don’t like It...But good suggestion...i will get more information for my next car. I am looking for a Porshe Boxter convertible.
My Vette is not convertible cause i did’t like the shape . I did’t know that this Forum was existing before i bought this Corvette..... If you know récuring problems with Boxter let me know...

Even If the noise is normal..........i don’t like It...But good suggestion...i will get more information for my next car. I am looking for a Porshe Boxter convertible.
My Vette is not convertible cause i did’t like the shape . I did’t know that this Forum was existing before i bought this Corvette..... If you know récuring problems with Boxter let me know...

If your gonna buy a Porsche, buy a 911. Still not a C7 though but it appears you have decided. Be prepared for a $ 500.00+ touch for an oil change though whether it's a Boxster or a 911

Porsche Boxster Oil Change Cost Estimate

The Akerman effect (tire chatter during tight turns at low speed) is exacerbated by colder temperatures and larger tire size. My Z51 did it a bit but my Grand Sport with larger tires does it more especially on cold pavement. The Boxter should not do it as it is really not a true high performance car although it is a really nice sports car. The higher end 911s with their big tires do the same as the Vette and I have heard the Audi R8 does it too.

My Triumph Spitfire does it too! Tires are a bit smaller, but steering geometry is rather extreme (really tight turning circle). Not quite a "true high performance car" :p
David

Attachments

• Nov7 2012 Twyn Rivers 002.jpg
    Nov7 2012 Twyn Rivers 002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
If the Porsche has wide front

If the Porsche has wide front tires it will have the same issue..

• Agree

WOW! Yes this is normal for all the reasons mentioned. How often are you going slow and making a tight turn to even notice - really man? My friend has a Porsche. Guess what? Yep it does the same thing man - physics.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.