you may actually have a bad or going Antilock Brake control module . it is situated on the back of the rear end under the car. all the traction control and active handling is run through this. and in my case was the culprit for the code 1288. the steering sensor requires a 5v reference signal from the ABCM. which mine was not getting. this may be worth looking into before swapping out the steering sensor.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Thanks Marty and your suggestion is part of the concern. How do you know what to replace? These parts are expensive so do you just keep throwing money at it. The one thing I have not been able to find out is if there is a definitive answer to what to repair when the car throws a code. In other words the code is there what now? Maybe GM has a different understanding of the on board diagnostics?

I was not aware of the ABS module at the back, some guys have had issues with another module that is right above the steering rack that has suffered with poor solder joints. Somebody even sells parts (resistors?) to fix it cheap.

Marty thanks for you input, appreciated.

Thanks Marty and your suggestion is part of the concern. How do you know what to replace? These parts are expensive so do you just keep throwing money at it. The one thing I have not been able to find out is if there is a definitive answer to what to repair when the car throws a code. In other words the code is there what now? Maybe GM has a different understanding of the on board diagnostics?

I was not aware of the ABS module at the back, some guys have had issues with another module that is right above the steering rack that has suffered with poor solder joints. Somebody even sells parts (resistors?) to fix it cheap.

Marty thanks for you input, appreciated.

Hey Murray,

Your EBCM is located just above the steering rack, as apposed to Marty's which is located in the rear of the car near the differential. They changed parts and location in 2000. Oddly enough, I had the dreaded "Service Active Handling, Service ABS, Service Traction Control, etc......" message pop up yesterday when I pulled out of the garage. Luckily though, after shutting down the car and restarting it, it didn't re-appear. This is the 2nd time that it has done that in the past month. I replaced the EBCM about 10 years ago for this problem and all has been good up until now. Hopefully it was just a one time glitch. As far as the "Active Handling Warming Up" message, I have seen it on my car but only when I have visited my parents acreage in Saskatchewan. I have never ever had the message come on here in Calgary. Perhaps it is the fact they they live on a gravel road and I drive as slow as physically possible without rolling backwards for the entire length of their road, but every single time that I have driven out of their yard in the morning I have gotten the message.

Now if I could just get my overheating issues solved, I could continue to enjoy mine............ Hoping its not a head gasket issue. :Banghead:

Hey Murray,

Your EBCM is located just above the steering rack, as apposed to Marty's which is located in the rear of the car near the differential. They changed parts and location in 2000. Oddly enough, I had the dreaded "Service Active Handling, Service ABS, Service Traction Control, etc......" message pop up yesterday when I pulled out of the garage. Luckily though, after shutting down the car and restarting it, it didn't re-appear. This is the 2nd time that it has done that in the past month. I replaced the EBCM about 10 years ago for this problem and all has been good up until now. Hopefully it was just a one time glitch. As far as the "Active Handling Warming Up" message, I have seen it on my car but only when I have visited my parents acreage in Saskatchewan. I have never ever had the message come on here in Calgary. Perhaps it is the fact they they live on a gravel road and I drive as slow as physically possible without rolling backwards for the entire length of their road, but every single time that I have driven out of their yard in the morning I have gotten the message.

Now if I could just get my overheating issues solved, I could continue to enjoy mine............ Hoping its not a head gasket issue. :Banghead:
Let me know how you make out with your overheating issue, I have the same issue. So far I've flushed the system, changed reservoir cap, cleaned the rad(with shroud off), changed T-stat, changed water pump which I swore I saw a small coolant leak, but may have been a spilled drop...IDK, but anyway nothing has helped.
Everyone is telling me to get aftermarket rad and fans, or get the fans re-programmed so they cut in at a lower temp, as they don't actually cut in on "high" speed until 230-235F....which is ridiculous, but there is still an underlying issue that's causing it to get that hot. At this point I'm pretty much convinced it's a head gasket, or head issue. If it is, I'll be turning my Sunday driver into a couple year, 800+HP turbo project which I was planning to start anyway, just not this soon.:Banghead::(

Hey Murray,

That is a very interesting bit of new on the active handling warming up because like your parents home I have a gravel road to travel before hitting the pavement. I wonder if there is some way of the system knowing the road surface. Driving slowly like you do I don't suppose the wheels ever spin. The fact it does not happen when you are home and like Graham on paved roads maybe it does not show up.

Wish I had some words of advice on the overheating, it must be frustrating for you and Dub as well. You probably have already crawled under the rad area to clean out any debris in that area, amazing just how much junk gets sucked up into the front of the rad.

Good luck and thank you very much for your input.:thumbs:

Yeah, lots of crap was collected in there, and I was shocked to see how much more was hiding up top, once I removed the air intake and shroud:eek:
This is really frustrating to say the least!:Banghead:

Graham, no new codes nor any warning message and thankfully no ill handling excitement.

So I ask would you change the SWPS out knowing that it may or may not be the issue? Or would you wait and see if it happens again? I agree with you about the "exercising" and it not being a permanent solution.

What is your thought on the gravel road "active handling warming up" issue? Possible it is just the gravel road?

Murray..
I did a google search about 'active handling warming up'
I found all sorts of reasons...!

I've gotten this message twice today, followed a couple minutes later by "Warm-up Complete". I've never seen this before. Anyone know what's up? Is this normal?

According to stories on the forum, if you turn the wheel immediately after starting the car, you'll get the message. Never saw it, but I've heard it several times here.

Usually I'll get the message say mid day leaving for lunch. It's nasty hot out too. A few times I've seen it in the winter months, but its rare.

That's intetesting. This is my second C5 and I've never seen it before today. Both times I was pulling out from parking while turning the wheel, so that might be it. Thanks!

Yeah same here, pulling out of the parking lot at work at very low speed and some 90° turns.

Upon startup, Active Handling needs to "calibrate" itself while you drive straight w/ no significant steering angle input. When you start off w/ these slow, tight maneuvers, the process cannot yet complete. You'll notice that once you straighten out and drive w/o turning for a little bit, the "Warm Up Complete" message will come

If your ALIGNMENT is significantly off (steering wheel not straight when your driving straight down the road) it can cause it to come on a lot more frequently
Like it was stated previously, unless the EBTCM has a chance to calibrate the signals from the Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS),, You will see that message.
If it comes on and stays on, or if you get a DTC and messages, then that would be an issue.

From the Service Manual
Traction Control and Active Handling System Indicator(s)
ACT HNDLG-WARMING UP
The IPC illuminates the ACT HNDLG-WARMING UP indicator in the message center when the following occurs:
The active handling option needs to be present in order for this indicator to appear. The EBCM detects that the engine is on and the vehicle speed is at 6 mph (10 km/h) or below. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM. The DIC will display this message for 3.5 seconds and then turn off. A chime will sound will this message is displayed.
When this message is displayed the traction control and active handling system indicator turns on.

WARM UP COMPLETE
The active handling option needs to be present in order for this indicator to appear. The IPC illuminates the WARM UP COMPLETE indicator in the message center when the EBCM has completed the functional check of the active handling system. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM. The DIC will display this message for 3.5 seconds and then turn off. A chime will sound will this message is displayed.

I would put the new SWPS in my glove box and believe that I have solved the problem.
Keep checking for codes.
I hope you can gain back the feeling of confidence in your ride.

Graham

Graham the last two paragraphs outline the exact sequence of events that I see this happening. I wonder if N20Vette would confirm if the circumstances are similar to when he see the code.

Very interesting stuff, I wonder what else is hiding in the maze of electronics?

Thanks Graham, well researched and I agree with you that I will leave the part in the glove box for now and see what happens. It was just such an unnerving thing when it went off on its own.

Graham the last two paragraphs outline the exact sequence of events that I see this happening. I wonder if N20Vette would confirm if the circumstances are similar to when he see the code.

Very interesting stuff, I wonder what else is hiding in the maze of electronics?

Thanks Graham, well researched and I agree with you that I will leave the part in the glove box for now and see what happens. It was just such an unnerving thing when it went off on its own.

Hey Murray,

The "below 10km/h" would explain why I see it at my folks place every time and never at home in Calgary. I always drive below 10 on their gravel road, whereas my street is a 60 zone and generally fairly busy. I am going to try to stay below 10 and see if I can duplicate the issue here at home. Chances are good that I can now that I know what triggers it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.