Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
On our little adventure today I ran into some issues with the car. One odd thing is the manual passenger seat will not lock into position. Last year it got stuck at one point, freed it up and thought all was fine but now it will not stay in place. Any thoughts?

Second issue maybe more serious is the dreaded message "Service Vehicle Soon" "Service Active Handling" flashed up on the way home. On the way over I had run over some rumble strip but that may have been a coincidence, maybe not. I stopped part way home, shut the car off, took the key out waited a couple of minutes and started the car up again. Ran fine, it did all day, no message. About 20 kms later it flashed up. Another thing is that I don't think it show the "active handling warming up" this morning when we left.

Graham posted the method for checking the codes in a thread some time ago but I cannot find out how to do it. Short or shot memory, one or the other.

Any thought would be appreciated. Graham are you out there.:Confused5:

I'm here for ya pal.. sorry to hear of the issues.
I'll find a decent link to the code reading issue.
Were you using your cruise-control at the time?
That is when I first noticed my active handling issue.
The manual seat issue may be something that got under the seat and ended up in the mechanism.

Graham

I blatantly stole the following info from the interWeb!!"......

READING YOUR Engine Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

This procedure should be carried out any time you experience a problem with your C5. Most inexpensive store bought aftermarket code readerswill ONLY read power train DTC’s. Reading the DTC’s with the C5 built in code reader will allow you to read ALL the modules in the vehicle.

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:
1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect)
3) Press and hold the OPTIONS button
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL button four times within a 10 -second period.

Initially, the on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which will cycle through each module and shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each module. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.

There are two types of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes. More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.

Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.

Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except E/M. Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press RESET To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles. There are a few body module DTC’s that if set will prevent the module from operating properly. Once the DTC is cleared, the module will return to full function. This is not true for power train DTCs.

If you have never read and cleared your codes, there will probably be a lot of old history DTCs. It is recommended that you clear your codes and see if any come back during a driving cycle. Those are the ones that you need to concentrate on diagnosing.

Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5.

Let us know what codes show up after you have cleared every thing at least once.

Graham

Graham I am only seeing three codes 28 TCS - C1287H and C1288H.

AO LCDM B2886

I guess the first numbers are Traction Control System but I am not sure what the next code is unless it is for "passenger seat does not work". Interestingly enough I read that the "yaw" control is under that seat. You don't suppose there could be a connection do you?

Now I guess I need to figure out what to do with it. I may try cleaning the grounds first and see what happens. Others have said that their cars began behaving very badly, jamming the brakes on, changing lanes abruptly but the car seems to run just fine. It was pouring rain yesterday so if the TCS was acting up it should have been noticeable.

I still think that rumble strip may have had something to do with it. Who knows.

Thank you Graham.

I found this....

The book says the code can be caused by the steering wheel sensor. I may have addressed the problem. I lifted the front, started the motor, and turned the wheel lock to lock 200 times to try and clean off the steering wheel sensor. I lowered the car, cleared the codes, and drove 50 miles. The code did not come back and I took some very hard turns. I guess time will tell me if I really fixed the problem.

Who knows...? It might work.

The grounds would be a good place to start though.
Undo the ground screws a turn or two and tighten them back up.
Or add some di-electric grease if you wish.
I think Marty had the ground idea all detailed in his discussion a couple of weeks ago.

Graham

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Is it alright to rant? Man sometimes I really wonder about General Motors.

I pulled the passenger seat out of the car yesterday and was shocked by what I found. The seat track assembly is an interesting piece made by Dura Automotive in Canada (I can tell you an interesting story about Dura if anyone is interested). According to the stickers it was the 15th revision of the track. I cannot imagine how bad the first design was. It is a bunch of sheet metal stampings and a white metal casting that locks the seat in place. GM calls this a seat bracket assembly. What a poorly designed piece it is, the stamped sheet metal brackets that release the locking pawl are bent out of shape and it is unlikely that it can be fixed. This car has 28K kilometres on it and the passenger seat has probably been locked and unlocked maybe 20 times, usually for cleaning.

GM wants $515.00 for this part, my buddy Graham (Nascar03) found it for me at $365.00 but still expensive in my mind but a whole lot better than $515.00, thank you Graham I have a friend who is a machinist and will have a look at it for me to see if he has any idea how to fix it. So for what was at the time was a $78K Canadian dollar car they use parts that I don't think Yogo would have accepted.

Frustrated would be a good word to say how I feel about General Motors. I have never heard of a seat track assembly in any car breaking but what do I know.:banghead:

Reactions: nascar03
It is definitely alright to rant a bit Murray...Keeps us sane and focused.... I agree with you...sometimes your have to shake your head and wonder what manufacturers were thinking..... Good luck on the seat repair....

What a poorly designed piece it is, the stamped sheet metal brackets that release the locking pawl are bent out of shape and it is unlikely that it can be fixed. This car has 28K kilometres on it and the passenger seat has probably been locked and unlocked maybe 20 times, usually for cleaning.

My passenger seat (C6) mind you feels pretty cheaply mounted Murray. I've told anyone who sits in it to not slide it forward. The seat back? Move it all you want but leave the seat itself where it is. Gives me more floor room anyway.

Certainly hope you get yours fixed up.

Frustrated would be a good word to say how I feel about General Motors. I have never heard of a seat track assembly in any car breaking but what do I know.:banghead:

Not sure what I did here in my quote?

Murray..
RANT is good. And you have a right to rant.
I looked at a couple of exploded view sketches of the seat track..it looks way too complicated yet made of simple sheet metal parts.. very disappointing build quality.

For way less than $300 you should be able to have a machinist make a better part.

On a side note..my driver's seat started moving a bit the other day.!
I know there is a 'rocking seat' syndrome with these C5 models.
I suspect maybe the same build quality issues you are experiencing.

Graham

Well a bit of good news. My machinist friend dropped by this afternoon and after a lot of fiddling around we got the seat to work again. The problem seems to be the sheet metal actuating levers that lock and unlock the white metal locking pawls. The arms were deformed in a number of directions and unless the alignment was perfect they will not release the locks. If they go out of whack again he believes he can machine the parts out of aluminum stock with some welding for tabs.

So good news on the seats. I just hope the "active handling" problem will be sorted out as easily. I bought some electrical connector cleaner spray and dielectric grease so I will get started on the grounds and connectors at the wheels themselves. It is a start at least and thanks Marty for the ground diagram.

Thanks so much to Graham (Nascar 03) for the effort to get a price on the replacement part. That is what makes this place as special as it is.:thumbs:

Reactions: nascar03
We're all brothers & sisters in this Corvette game thru the good times and the repairs!!

I'm glad the machinist buddy can help you out..
Hint. Make two sets of replacement parts.... ya never know.

I wonder if the 'lightweight' Z06 idea got carried a bit too far in this case.
My '03 convert has power seats for both the driver & passenger seats.
Possibly a different assembly entirely?
I know the goal of the Z06 models was to be at least 200lbs lighter.

Graham

Is it alright to rant? Man sometimes I really wonder about General Motors.

I pulled the passenger seat out of the car yesterday and was shocked by what I found. The seat track assembly is an interesting piece made by Dura Automotive in Canada (I can tell you an interesting story about Dura if anyone is interested). According to the stickers it was the 15th revision of the track. I cannot imagine how bad the first design was. It is a bunch of sheet metal stampings and a white metal casting that locks the seat in place. GM calls this a seat bracket assembly. What a poorly designed piece it is, the stamped sheet metal brackets that release the locking pawl are bent out of shape and it is unlikely that it can be fixed. This car has 28K kilometres on it and the passenger seat has probably been locked and unlocked maybe 20 times, usually for cleaning.

GM wants $515.00 for this part, my buddy Graham (Nascar03) found it for me at $365.00 but still expensive in my mind but a whole lot better than $515.00, thank you Graham I have a friend who is a machinist and will have a look at it for me to see if he has any idea how to fix it. So for what was at the time was a $78K Canadian dollar car they use parts that I don't think Yogo would have accepted.

Once you look below the surface, you quickly realize why a Corvette is so much less expensive than other similar looking cars out there. The leather in the seats certainly isn't top grade leather either. All the money went into a great drivetrain. Drive the Corvette and you are impressed. Look a little deeper and there are plenty of warts.
There was a recall for the Service Active Handling problem but guys continued to get the warning after the supposed repairs. There are days when I wish that I had kept my L78 Chevelle. At least there was nothing on that car that I would be afraid to tackle and rebuild. 10-12 mpg doesn't look as frightening as these new problems.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Once you look below the surface, you quickly realize why a Corvette is so much less expensive than other similar looking cars out there. The leather in the seats certainly isn't top grade leather either. All the money went into a great drivetrain. Drive the Corvette and you are impressed. Look a little deeper and there are plenty of warts.
That's a pretty good description Keith when it comes right down to it. I agree. My Carrera 4s buddy laughs at my interior quality. But,I laugh at his maintenance bills.

I also fought with a 1288 code for the steering sensor. turns out the issue was the ebcm . it was not sending the 5 volt reference signal the SWPS needed. the SWPS itself was fine.
HOWEVER, your C5 is a few years newer than mine. parts are still available for yours.
AND yours is giving a 1287 code as well so it could be something different or could indicate an additional problem.
my car does not have the active handling system either so another spanner in the works with yours,
it took a shop 2,5 hours to diagnose and trace my issue, AFTER I had replaced the steering sensor, (should have paid for the diagnosis earlier I guess). but the code indicated steering sensor so,,,

the other code, LDCM, I think is Left Door Control Module, not sure specifically what the numbers indicate though.

also your codes are history codes (H) so it is not a current problem, once the codes are cleared you won't get the service vehicle soon message anymore. until they come back, if they come back.

best of luck getting it sorted.

Thanks Marty, I am pretty sure that was the code but I will check it again. I am going to start the grounds tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. Got the seat issue fixed, which I am really happy about, amazing having another set of eyes on a problem can make such a difference. I knew the two brackets were bent in different directions but did not know how to make it right again. The car, while low mileage has been so trouble free I am hoping the electronic issue is something simple. The on board diagnostics are a big help, I can go to the bank for a loan telling them these are the codes it is throwing up!!:Biggrin:

I will get it sorted out somehow. Thanks again for the ground diagram and I really hope you enjoy your car this summer and many more to come.:thumbs:

Perplexed. As mentioned on the was home from Allflash's Niagara run the dash warning that the active handling was not working and service car soon stopped showing up. This was after a long day of some hard driving. Turned the active handling back on and drove home about 140 kilometres, the active handling did not act up again.

Based on the codes 1287 and 1288 I bought a new steering wheel position sensor but have not yet installed it. Took the car out yesterday for a run with the AH on and no issues. It is just uncomfortable waiting for the problem, if it still exists, to kick in. The other odd thing was the "active handling warming up" did not come on yesterday morning and yet Graham (Nascar03) says he has never seem this warning on his car ever (he does live in lotus land so maybe it is always warm!). Have other C5 owners seen this message? Mine typically shows up within a couple of hundred feet of the garage but always when underway.

At this point I am not sure whether to go ahead and change the part out or just wait and see. The more I think about Graham's find above about "exercising" the steering assembly the more I wonder if there is not some truth in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.