Case75

High RPM Poster
2 You're 10
Jul 6, 2012
Earth
VetteCoins
Car
none right now.
I've been trying to figure out a rattling noise coming from somewhere in the car for the last couple of months. At first I thought it was in the rear end but that seems good. I thought it might be the transmission but it seems good too. Every time the revs get over 2000 RPM it's there. I thought it may be detonation but it is doing it with no load and out of gear. Checking things out this morning and revved it up with my hand on the air cleaner and I could feel the rattle. I think the bottom end is going or gone. I've never had an engine go before so I'm not 100% sure but this can't be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
check if your timing is holding steady. a stretched chain will cause grief. try and rule out things like water pump and alternator. have a listen through a big screwdriver at different places on the valve covers to try and isolate where the noise is coming from. deep in the engine is usually more of a rapping noise. hope it's not serious greg.

check if your timing is holding steady. a stretched chain will cause grief. try and rule out things like water pump and alternator. have a listen through a big screwdriver at different places on the valve covers to try and isolate where the noise is coming from. deep in the engine is usually more of a rapping noise. hope it's not serious greg.

New water pump and alternator in the last couple of years Doug. Timing seems OK. Do you think it may be valve train? I need an expert ear.

Greg. Go thru it like Doug mentioned.
I have been caught with this as well. I was at an out-of-town Vette slalom meet far from home and thought my top-end was coming apart.. turned out to be a header leak....! Go thru the checklist..
hope ya find it.
graham

I just checked the bolts. A little loose so I tightened all of them but did not fix problem. Sound seems to be coming from top end of engine. When it cools I'll pull the valve covers for a look.

That's what cheeses me off Colin. Car has been good until lately. I'll get it resolved but right now I'm in the middle of renovating half our house so the car will have to wait. Can't seem to catch a break this year. :(

Booooooooooo! Sorry to hear about your engine giving you grief. Hopefully you'll have it diagnosed soon and it won't be anything serious.

Thanks Riley. I've put the car on the back burner for now. I'll get back to it when these renos are done. Shame with the hot weather we're having. :(

On the upside, took the whole family to the cruise night at Sauble Beach last night (in our KIA :() and sat by the water after looking at the cars and watched the sunset. Got to look for the bright side of things I always say.

Greg, It's a clear case of you're not driving the crap out of it, like you should. Carbon buildup is a common problem with those engine and when you rev it up without being loaded is when they sound the worst. Best thing to do is turn it into a steam engine. Yup, thats right pour water down the carb at a fast idle about 2500 rpm. Now don't just pour it in but stream it slowly and you'll hear the old girl come back to life. Here's a link to show I'm not kidding
Pouring water down carb. to clean carbon out. - Corvette Forum
Rob

Greg, It's a clear case of you're not driving the crap out of it, like you should. Carbon buildup is a common problem with those engine and when you rev it up without being loaded is when they sound the worst. Best thing to do is turn it into a steam engine. Yup, thats right pour water down the carb at a fast idle about 2500 rpm. Now don't just pour it in but stream it slowly and you'll hear the old girl come back to life. Here's a link to show I'm not kidding
Pouring water down carb. to clean carbon out. - Corvette Forum
Rob

Thanks Rob. I read all 4 pages of that thread. Knowing my luck I'd get hydraulic lock and bend a rod. :(

Naw, it's easy. You should have seen my hands tremble when I first tried it. After a while you'll get the hang of it. If you don't trust yourself try the spray bottle it does the same thing but takes a little longer.
Rob

I've heard that before tho I've not done it yet -- Some manufacturers actually have sprayed water into the intake as part of the fuel charge.
No links (not had time to find 'em) but they're out there.

I did see a guy once shoot the garden hose down his carb for a short time- Small block chev in a '66 chevelle -- didn't seem to do anything bad....:eek:

Worth a try Greg -- Steamer knows his stuff.....:D

C.

Thanks Colin, I'll take it into consideration. Like I said before, busy with the house right now. Just finished insulating my living room and dining room today. Electrician comes on Monday and then the drywallers after that. I'll be glad to get the house back to normal. I feel like I'm living in a house under construction; actually, I am.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.