Nov 9, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Grand Sport
Province
NB
After about an hour and a half on cruise, a VERY LOUD sound came from under car on my side (driver’s) sounded like something hit side of my car.......after further discussion with husband, we decided the heavy steering was because of SPORT mode...but, now wonder if that loud noise came from a build up of pressure ....associated with the MODE....I need help.......hate to think this can happen every time I go for a run.

After about an hour and a half on cruise, a VERY LOUD sound came from under car on my side (driver’s) sounded like something hit side of my car.......after further discussion with husband, we decided the heavy steering was because of SPORT mode...but, now wonder if that loud noise came from a build up of pressure ....associated with the MODE....I need help.......hate to think this can happen every time I go for a run.

Hi Zora:

The "heavy" steering feeling that you're experiencing is probably a result of being in "S"(sport) mode. Try switching to "T" (touring) and see if that makes an appreciable difference, it should feel much lighter. Hard to say what caused the noise, possibly road debris, but it's unlikely that hitting something would cause damage to the steering system. The steering rack is extremely strong and the whole system is electric so no hoses or hydraulic components to damage.

Try the mode switch and go from there. If it still feels unusually heavy you may have to get it checked out.

Best regards
Ross

Thanks.....I had figured out the ‘heavy steering reason.....but problem now is that noise......second time it has happened....no road debris.....was with car club....they all said same and nothing came out from under the car.....the picture showing is the ‘02 I had before C7 ....right now,I wish I still had it....

I was just driving along sometimes fast ,sometimes slow, (like normal with club) and there was a ‘sudden loud noise on driver side of underneath my car....

Ross,can you re-post my post so some others will also see it ? I am new to the forum....no idea how todo anything much here.

Your post will remain active as long as people keep responding to it, if you can see it, everyone can see it. It will drop off the front page over time but, right now it remains visible.

As has been stated, you have a '19 that should be covered under the 3/60 warranty. If there's any way for you to get a good look at the undercarriage, that's where I would start. Look for obvious signs of damage, anything that might be caught or wedged in or around the suspension components, steering rack, braking system, etc. Failing that you can find an obvious cause of the noise, as much as I hate to say it, you'll have to take it to a dealer.

Best of luck
Ross

Last edited:
Reactions: Dik
It happened the previous run as well....took it to the dealership.....they said no damage nor problem with anything under neath.....no sign of anything being damaged,etc. I will contact them again...thanks for getting back to me...

Possible the drivers side brake caliper is sticking and then releasing? Could you feel anything in the car or steering when it happened?

Not sure but possible I would think. Grasping at straws here at best. Next time it does it, stop immediately and reach in and see if the rotor is abnormally hot. Careful. It might burn your fingers if it was sticking the pads against the rotor.

Heavy steering. You can set the steering to any of the three modes permanently via the vehicle set up menus. I have my steering set to Sport mode all the time, no matter which driving mode it is in using the selector knob. Yours may be set to Track mode?

Banging noise. Because it happens when you are turning the wheels maybe there is a part, hose or a plastic duct being snagged by a steering component. I would lift the front tires off the ground (install blocks or floor stands please) then turn the wheels lock to lock while someone inspects the drivers side wheel and the components behind the tire. Then try the same thing with the tire removed allowing the inspection of the hub assembly. The inspector may not see the exact issue (snag) because the suspension will be "un-loaded".

Can you tell us if you have lowered your car, added splash guards, installed after-market rims .... any modifications at all?

Cheers and keep us posted to the solution. I am confident this can be sorted out soon.
Richard

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.