Nov 16, 2017
VetteCoins
I took my 2022 HTC in for an oil change this morning to a GM Dealer. Once the work was complete, the rear hatch that covers the engine compartment would not fully close. After taking a look to see what the issue was, we noticed that the cable that retracts the end cap for the passenger side nacelle had snapped and would not fold back into the position required to allow the rear hatch to close. The cable that snapped needs to be ordered but the quick fix was to use several zip ties to hold the end cap in the "roof up" position.

I'd suggest that if you own a HTC, have several 12" long zip ties in your car to use for a quick fix should this problem happen to you while you're in the road.
PXL_20230526_202008424~2.jpg
PXL_20230526_202013721~2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Any idea what caused the cable failure? I have an HTC on the way (I hope).
Design flaw, plastic part where steel cable would be better, mishandled during dealer care, unforeseen accident, other?

Thanks for the heads up. Any idea what caused the cable failure? I have an HTC on the way (I hope).
Design flaw, plastic part where steel cable would be better, mishandled during dealer care, unforeseen accident, other?
No idea what caused the cable to snap. I've only had the car at the dealership a couple of times for oil changes. I can see them working on the car and they're very careful while doing the work. The top has worked flawlessly since taking delivery in October 2021.

If it's a plastic "cable" I guess it's not as "robust" as it should be for something as crucial as being able to secure the engine cover hatch.
If it's steel or braided wire, again, maybe it needs to be replaced with something more robust.
Again, thanks for the heads up. I usually have zip ties in my mini-tool kit, as well as a spool of picture hanging wire.
Both have come in handy for all sorts of quick repairs.

purchased 100 12 inch cable ties for $8 on amazon. Good for 100 oil changes on my HTC if something gets broken.

It does NOT mean that you get a free oil change if you present the dealer with a cable tie.

• Haha
Reactions: Zedaholic
purchased 100 12 inch cable ties for $8 on amazon. Good for 100 oil changes on my HTC if something gets broken.

It does NOT mean that you get a free oil change if you present the dealer with a cable tie.
It should, if it breaks while in their care.

Reactions: wlgj
No it has not been an issue, it was been reported twice in total
Thanks DenisC8 for correcting me. Now do a tiny bit of research and you will see this is a problem. You can also look "Corvette Forum" USA site and see how many actually have this issue.
Its only been a problem since the HTC came out, but don't worry, it won't happen to you!

Thanks DenisC8 for correcting me. Now do a tiny bit of research and you will see this is a problem. You can also look "Corvette Forum" USA site and see how many actually have this issue.
Its only been a problem since the HTC came out, but don't worry, it won't happen to you!
Over 50,000 HTC have been sold so far, 2 people on Canadian Forum reported an issue, and if and that's a big if, 50 people on "Corvette Forum" reported an issue, then this issue is 0.1%. You have much better chances to have engine failure, even more chances to have transmission failure and higher chance of death. Hell, more people died in C8 Corvettes then had HTC failure so "death has been an issue for a while but many have not mentioned it because they are dead" LOL ;)

Over 50,000 HTC have been sold so far, 2 people on Canadian Forum reported an issue, and if and that's a big if, 50 people on "Corvette Forum" reported an issue, then this issue is 0.1%. You have much better chances to have engine failure, even more chances to have transmission failure and higher chance of death. Hell, more people died in C8 Corvettes then had HTC failure so "death has been an issue for a while but many have not mentioned it because they are dead" LOL ;)
Yes, but zero people have reported their sun visor falling off, so they should be able to make a cable with ZERO failures.

I just hope my "cable" is one of the more robust cables in the lot, on assembly day. :Biggrin: (dripping with sarcasm)

The issue is not that only 0.1% of people have a problem. The fact that Zedoholic has for a quick fix and for the 0.1% of guys that have a problem. Its nice to know there is a quick fix when your sitting on the side of the road. I still don't think the thread was on death, but thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Dik and Zedaholic
Thanks for the info. Would be better if the photos were not blurry, so we could actually try to figure out what exactly was zip tied.

Guessing the broken end of the cable at the end cap end was somehow pulled and secured by ziptie to keep the end cap in the roof-closed position?

i do keep zip ties and bailing wire in every car in case I drop a muffler on the C8, LOL. Not really LOL as sh*t happens when u don’t expect.

Reactions: MKinOntario
Thanks for the info. Would be better if the photos were not blurry, so we could actually try to figure out what exactly was zip tied.
Guessing the broken end of the cable at the end cap end was somehow pulled and secured by ziptie to keep the end cap in the roof-closed position?

i do keep zip ties and bailing wire in every car in case I drop a muffler on the C8, LOL. Not really LOL as sh*t happens when u don’t expect.
Correct, the end cap was held in the retracted position with a zip-tie. There's a bracket on the engine cover that the cap end rests against when fully retracted. A zip-tie was used at that location to secure the end cap.

To provide an update, I took the car to the dealership yesterday to get the problem repaired. They had to replace a bracket assembly (part number and illustration of the part is as shown below). It was covered by warranty so all is good. If it wasn't covered by warranty, the part cost is around $280 plus labor to install.
Folding Roof Bracket.JPG

Reactions: Dik and MKinOntario
No it has not been an issue, it was been reported twice in total
Actually Denis, this is a very common problem...Go on the US Corvette Forum site and many have had the problem....The cable is pretty thin.....I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking after so many functions of the HTC, they'll all have this issue??? GM needs to put in a perm fix and recall the HTC's....

Reactions: carbuff
you are assuming all 50,000 Cdn's are on this chat site?? I doubt it....but I hope you are right!!

Reactions: carbuff

Correct, the end cap was held in the retracted position with a zip-tie. There's a bracket on the engine cover that the cap end rests against when fully retracted. A zip-tie was used at that location to secure the end cap.

To provide an update, I took the car to the dealership yesterday to get the problem repaired. They had to replace a bracket assembly (part number and illustration of the part is as shown below). It was covered by warranty so all is good. If it wasn't covered by warranty, the part cost is around $280 plus labor to install. View attachment 110218
So it was NOT a broken cable, but a bracket instead? Or a cable + some bracket?
What part is that bracket on your diagram?

So it was NOT a broken cable, but a bracket instead? Or a cable + some bracket?
What part is that bracket on your diagram?
To better explain, the metal cable that snapped is shown in the picture below (I'm pointing at it). The bracket is not shown in the diagram initially posted as it's located on the underside of the engine cowl. The bracket the end cap rests against when it's in the retraced position is shown in the second picture (underside of engine cover). If a cable snaps, the end cap which it controls will not retract. If the end cap is extended, it will prevent the engine cowling from closing properly as the end cap will contact the roof panel. To get the roof into the closed position, push the endcap into the retracted position by hand and use a zip-tie to secure it against the bracket that limits its travel. Note that the pictures attached are of the passenger side and were taken after the repairs were made by the dealership.

Cable.jpg
Bracket.jpg

Reactions: butsy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread