Pep

Regular
Oct 7, 2016
Spruce Grove, Ab
VetteCoins
Car
2016 Z51
Hello everyone. Long time follower first time poster... as the saying goes. I joined the forum last fall and owned a 2013 Camaro SS vert. I was in the market for "potentially" buying a vette but needed to find what I wanted and sell the boss on it as she really liked the Camaro. Her position on the vette might have had something to do with cost as well but being older I tend to forget details like that. :p

Long story short is we closed a deal on a 2016 Stingray Z51 3LT Laguna Blue. The Laguna Blue was the selling point for the wife as she really liked that colour and when I told her it wasn't available in 2017 she handed me the pants and said ok. I never waste time when I am wearing the family pants, for the day or so they are available, for my use. :Cheers2:.

Due to the late fall we had I picked it up early November and actually got to drive for a few hundred KM on the last weekend before snow hit in our area. That was great.:ohoh: But of course that was kind of like being given a thimble full of the smoothest whiskey one has ever tasted and then having someone put the bottle on the top shelf where I can see it but not reach it for 5 months :Banghead: :(. On the positive side it is 1/2 way to the 800 km first oil change and broken in mark so she can be driven like she was meant to be. Needless to say looking forward to the spring as much or more than ever.

I am trying to figure out the best way to load pics here to show off our new addition........

Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: ccltj
Randy, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you picked a real special car and glad you got to put a few km on before you put it away.
You can bet spring is not that far off but it will seem like a life time away with a new Corvette
Enjoy the cruise and don't forget to wave at other Corvette's
You can load pictures direct from your pc with the link on the bottom right for your post or make a media photo album.
Cheers Rob

Reactions: Pep
Pep, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a beautiful car you picked out, love the blues, cars and music!

Yes it will be a bit of a long haul to spring but as far as the whisky goes maybe someone can send you a small ladder to reach that at least.:Biggrin:

I use Imgur to copy and paste, works well for me but others may have an easier route.

Again, welcome.:thumbs:

Reactions: Pep
Pick up at the dealer :Biggrin: pic...:Biggrin: pic.. :Biggrin: pic..:Biggrin: pic...:( pic.

20161110_175140[1].jpg
20161113_133237[1].jpg
20161113_133259[1].jpg
20161113_133326[1].jpg
20161210_174333[1].jpg

Hello Randy and welcome to the forum. Nice colour.... Congrats on the C7. I too was a late delivery in 2015 and went through the same pain as you are. I really hate to burst one of your bubbles but although you are 1/2 way to the first recommended oil change, you are only 1/6 of the way to the recommended break in ( no revs over 4k rpm for 2500 km).... I had mixed feelings whether I could wait that long but I bit the bullet ....
Spring is on it's way. -1 for Sunday here and in the plus temps next week... :Woohoo:

Hello Randy and welcome to the forum. Nice colour.... Congrats on the C7. I too was a late delivery in 2015 and went through the same pain as you are. I really hate to burst one of your bubbles but although you are 1/2 way to the first recommended oil change, you are only 1/6 of the way to the recommended break in ( no revs over 4k rpm for 2500 km).... I had mixed feelings whether I could wait that long but I bit the bullet ....
Spring is on it's way. -1 for Sunday here and in the plus temps next week... :Woohoo:

Hmmmm... What I thought I read in the manual was 800km for break in which did surprise me since the Camaro was 2400km ish for the rev limit. They do say comprehension is the 3rd thing to go :p:D

Edit: Well, I looked it up in the 2016 pdf manual. It says as follows. It would be strange if 2015 was different?? Bit long so I apologize for that...

New Vehicle Break-In
Follow these recommended
guidelines during the first 2 414 km
(1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle.
Parts have a break-in period and
performance will be better in the
long run.
For the first 322 km (200 mi):
. To break in new tires, drive at
moderate speeds and avoid hard
cornering.
. New brake linings also need a
break-in period. Avoid making
hard stops. This is
recommended every time brake
linings are replaced.
For the first 800 km (500 mi):
. Avoid full throttle starts and
abrupt stops.
. Do not exceed 4000 rpm.
Avoid driving at any one
constant speed, fast or slow,
including the use of cruise
control.
. Avoid downshifting to brake or
slow the vehicle when the
engine speed will exceed
4000 rpm.
. Do not let the engine labor.
Never lug the engine. With a
manual transmission, shift to the
next lower gear. This rule
applies at all times, not just
during the break-in period.
. After the first 800 km (500 mi),
change the engine oil on
vehicles with the LT1 engine and
Z51 package, or the LT4 engine.
For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):
. Do not participate in track
events, sport driving schools,
or similar activities.
. Check engine oil with every
refueling and add if necessary.
Oil and fuel consumption may be
higher than normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Hmmmm... What I thought I read in the manual was 800km for break in which did surprise me since the Camaro was 2400km ish for the rev limit. They do say comprehension is the 3rd thing to go :p:D

Edit: Well, I looked it up in the 2016 pdf manual. It says as follows. It would be strange if 2015 was different?? Bit long so I apologize for that...

New Vehicle Break-In
Follow these recommended
guidelines during the first 2 414 km
(1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle.
Parts have a break-in period and
performance will be better in the
long run.
For the first 322 km (200 mi):
. To break in new tires, drive at
moderate speeds and avoid hard
cornering.
. New brake linings also need a
break-in period. Avoid making
hard stops. This is
recommended every time brake
linings are replaced.
For the first 800 km (500 mi):
. Avoid full throttle starts and
abrupt stops.
. Do not exceed 4000 rpm.
Avoid driving at any one
constant speed, fast or slow,
including the use of cruise
control.
. Avoid downshifting to brake or
slow the vehicle when the
engine speed will exceed
4000 rpm.
. Do not let the engine labor.
Never lug the engine. With a
manual transmission, shift to the
next lower gear. This rule
applies at all times, not just
during the break-in period.
. After the first 800 km (500 mi),
change the engine oil on
vehicles with the LT1 engine and
Z51 package, or the LT4 engine.
For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):
. Do not participate in track
events, sport driving schools,
or similar activities.
. Check engine oil with every
refueling and add if necessary.
Oil and fuel consumption may be
higher than normal.

Randy... I stand corrected....and a bit sheepish knowing i babied my car three times longer than I needed to...lol.... Thank you for the correction... And obviously my comprehension got up and went....

Eric

Welcome Randy.
Nice looking Vette, Congrats.

Keep an eye out for the annual Ponoka Meet and Greet, We generally try for early to mid May for a get together and short cruise.
It would be great if you can make it.

Hi Randy! Welcome to the forum!!!!!!! Great looking car and a great reason for your wife to allow the pants for a day! I'm still looking around our house for the pants but she seem to doing a good job of hiding them. I do know they exist though because every once in a while she'll show me a picture of them.

Fantastic looking car!!!! Glad you joined us and I second the vote for Ponoka!

Nice acquisition and great color!

Of course it is debatable (as everything is), but the best way to break-in your engine is to take a nice cruise through some twisty and hilly roads. Note that I said "cruise", and not race or performance drive it. The curves keep it entertaining for you and make you speed up and slow down just naturally. The hills help give a bit of load on the way up, and help for seating on the lower side of the rings on the way down. Some people might argue, but a hill to a car with around 9lbs/horsepower is not a difficult load.

Just like you and the rest of us, I am looking forward to spring as well. Here's hoping for only about three more months!

Welcome Randy! Reminiscent of my (our partnership) August 2016 acquisition in so many ways. I was active for a solid 6 weeks from Calgary thru to High Prairie looking at Vettes-on-the-lot. I don't recall seeing yours however might not have stopped in to your particular dealership as "my pants" came with a "long beach red" stipulation and a vehicle with a msrp that did not start with a "1". I too focused on the Z51 3LT and finalized our purchase in Edmonton. It is a truly perfect time to acquire these cars at dealerships North of Red Deer (and a small few in the South) as the stupid-oil-money is not free-flowing for the "msrp surrender". You took the call that now is an excellent time to deal and opportunity is knocking for grateful relationship with a dealership. I too am looking forward to Spring with hope for a meet-and-greet as I will not be shy of adding to the odometer for a drive away from the City 200 miles south of Edmonton. Many can chuckle at the "pants" thing but they can also be rather envious of the "value" that one achieves when we do get to wear them .... Cheers! Spence

Thanks guys. And I hear you there Spence. My sales guy found only 2 vettes that were very close to what I wanted in Canada. One in Ontario and the other in Kimberly, BC. Mine is the one from BC so you wouldn't have seen it on a lot in your travels, online or otherwise, in Alberta.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.